PDA

View Full Version : DM Help homebrew boss the Kraegg

1Forge
2015-08-24, 01:47 PM
So I am running a 5e game (several during different time periods) in my own personal homebrew world (sorry i cant seem to post the picture of the map on here) In one of my games I've tried playtesting a monster i wanted to use for a future campaign, but I can never get the stats right so I came to ask your guy's opinion on the stats i have and what alterations i need to make.

Young Kraegg
about 35ft tall (gargantuan)
hp:381
AC:19
Speed:45
Str:27 Dex:10 Con:20 Int:1 Wis:10 Cha:10
resistant to nonmagical weapons, fire, and lightning
immune to radient, necrotic, and poison
vulnerable to cold
2d10 swipe
2d12 bite
1d8 aoe 120 ft psycic roar (on a failed save success is no damage)

the diety of savagry/monsters/bloodlust/and violence in general got bored of the peace the other gods (exept the god of war) were making, and was too impatient to wait for more conflict to arise, some arch fiends always wanting chaos and destuction made a deal with Grawn (the dietey) they worked together to make the kraegg using old magics from the wilds (the stuff there is older then the dieties themselves) the kraegg would then wander the land killing everything as grawn wanted.

Keep in mind This was all written up while i was DM'ing and improvised game so I didnt have much time to make them so they're a bit rough. I'm also thinking that i might increase the size of these to 65 ft tall then have the 35 ft ones be offspring of the origonal (like shelob and unguliont from lotr)

EDIT: The new stats made by Ninja_Prawn are below. They are much better than the old ones.

Adult Kraegg (origonally made by ninja_prawn)
Gargantuan monstrosity (titan), unaligned
Armour Class 19 (natural armour)
Hit Points 310 (20d20 + 100)
Speed 45 ft.
STR DEX CON INT WIS CHA
27 (+8) 10 (+0) 20 (+5) 1 (-5) 10 (+0) 10 (+0)
Saving Throws Dex +7, Int +2, Wis +7, Cha +7
Damage Resistances lightning, psychic, bludgeoning, piercing and slashing from nonmagical weapons
Damage Immunities necrotic, poison, radiant, fire
Condition Immunities charmed, frightened, poisoned
Damage Vulnerability cold
Senses blindsight 60ft., darkvision 120ft., passive Perception 10
Languages -
Challenge 23 (50,000 XP)

Legendary Resistance (3/day). If the Kraegg fails a saving throw, it can choose to succeed instead.

Magic Resistance. The Kraegg has advantage on saving throws against spells and other magical effects.

Siege Monster. The Kraegg deals double damage to objects and structures.

Actions
Multiattack. The Kraegg can use its Frightful Presence. It then makes three attacks: one with its bite and two with its claws.

Bite. Melee Weapon Attack: +15 to hit, reach 10 ft., one target. Hit: 14 (1d12 + 8) bludgeoning damage. If the target is a creature, it is grappled (escape DC 18). Until this grapple ends, the target is restrained, and the Kraegg can't bite another target.

Claw. Melee Weapon Attack: +15 to hit, reach 10ft., one target. Hit: 17 (2d8 + 8) bludgeoning damage.

Tail. Melee Weapon Attack: +15 to hit, reach 10ft., one target. Hit: 19 (2d10 + 8) bludgeoning damage.

Frightful Presence. Each creature of the Kraegg's choice within 120 feet of it and aware of it must succeed on a DC 17 Wisdom saving throw or become frightened for 1 minute. A creature can repeat the saving throw at the end of each of its turns, with disadvantage if the Kraegg is within line of sight, ending the effect on itself on a success. If a creature's saving throw is successful or the effect ends for it, the creature is immune to the Kraegg's Frightful Presence for the next 24 hours.

Psychic Roar (Recharge 5-6). The Kraegg emits chaotic psychic energy in a 90-foot cone. Each creature in that area takes 28 (8d6) psychic damage or half as much if it succeeds on a DC 22 Wisdom saving throw.(on a failed throw the affected creatures are knocked back 10 ft)

Legendary Actions
The Kraegg can take 3 legendary actions, choosing from the options below. Only one legendary action option can be used at a time and only at the end of another creature's turn. The Kraegg regains spent legendary actions at the start of her turn.

Move. The Kraegg moves up to 20 feet.

Tail Swipe. The Kraegg makes one tail attack.

Soul Drain (Costs 2 Actions). The Kraegg drains life energy from creatures around it. Each creature within 60 feet of the Kraegg must succeed on a DC 17 Charisma saving throw or take 9 (2d8) necrotic damage. The Kraegg recovers hit points equal to half of the total amount dealt with this ability.

All thanks goes to Ninja_Prawn for these adult stats, modified only slightly by me.

FightStyles
2015-08-24, 02:23 PM
You are missing what you want the CR of the creature to be. Without that, no one will be able to help you.

Also you are missing the Attack bonus to the two physical attacks and the DC (and what kind of saving throw, although not that important) the AoE is.

Lastly, how many attacks does the young Kraegg recieve? One swipe and One bite? How often does the AoE recharge?

Have you looked at any other Creatures in the MM to compare the stats to? <- that is always the easiest thing to do...

With that being said:

This monster is highly defensive and not very offensive comparetive to it's defense. After looking over the MM, I would rate it approximately CR 20ish... For a CR 20 creature, I find it lacking a vareity of the additional abilities that other monsters usually have at that level. It would be a fairly boring battle seeing who can out slug the other. I would recommend taking the Tarrasque and toning it down a little to suit your needs. Maybe keeping your HP and AC and taking away/ reducing some of it's abilities (especially the 5 attacks). That would give you a monster that is more interesting and not just everyone attacking/healing every round.

1Forge
2015-08-25, 12:14 AM
You are missing what you want the CR of the creature to be. Without that, no one will be able to help you.

Also you are missing the Attack bonus to the two physical attacks and the DC (and what kind of saving throw, although not that important) the AoE is.

Lastly, how many attacks does the young Kraegg recieve? One swipe and One bite? How often does the AoE recharge?

Have you looked at any other Creatures in the MM to compare the stats to? <- that is always the easiest thing to do...

With that being said:

This monster is highly defensive and not very offensive comparetive to it's defense. After looking over the MM, I would rate it approximately CR 20ish... For a CR 20 creature, I find it lacking a vareity of the additional abilities that other monsters usually have at that level. It would be a fairly boring battle seeing who can out slug the other. I would recommend taking the Tarrasque and toning it down a little to suit your needs. Maybe keeping your HP and AC and taking away/ reducing some of it's abilities (especially the 5 attacks). That would give you a monster that is more interesting and not just everyone attacking/healing every round.

Thats part of the problem. I wanted something tarrasque-like but i dont own a MM All my in-game monsters are either from the free DM guide thingy, homebrewed from the DM guide, or a re-skinned class from the players handbook. Also CR wise I never quite understood those but I think it would be around 20 though i expect my party will be much lower level when they kill it (I want this thing to be a castle crushing but in my game they will fight it with some city help) The HP was rolled on a percentile dice and a d20, and the AC was based of the adult red dragon, and a t-rex (closest things i could find). As for something to make it more intersting how about this?

Souls temptation: Any living thing within 60 ft of the Kraegg must make a will save every round or take 1d4 necrotic damage
(the kraegg feeds off life force to fuel it's unstable form, every round the pull becomes more enticing to your soul, drinking holy water will prevent this for 10 rounds, destroying the creatures third eye will end it permanantly)

'

Ninja_Prawn
2015-08-25, 08:18 AM
Souls temptation: Any living thing within 60 ft of the Kraegg must make a will save every round or take 1d4 necrotic damage
(the kraegg feeds off life force to fuel it's unstable form, every round the pull becomes more enticing to your soul, drinking holy water will prevent this for 10 rounds, destroying the creatures third eye will end it permanantly)

I just skimmed through your OP, but saw this and thought: an extra 2d4/round (assuming 2 hits, as per the standard for AoE attacks) is not a lot of damage for a CR20 creature. The adult red dragon (CR17) is throwing out 6d8+24 damage per round in Legendary Actions.

I'll have a look through your OP in more detail and see if I can homebrew something in a minute... well, it came out well above the target CR. Maybe this is the adult version? You can probably scale it down to something more reasonable if you want. And I apologise if there are any typos, I did this in a hurry.

Adult Kraegg
Hit Points 310 (20d20 + 100)
Speed 45 ft.

STR
DEX
CON
INT
WIS
CHA

27 (+8)
10 (+0)
20 (+5)
1 (-5)
10 (+0)
10 (+0)

Saving Throws Dex +7, Int +2, Wis +7, Cha +7
Damage Resistances lightning, psychic, bludgeoning, piercing and slashing from nonmagical weapons
Damage Immunities fire, necrotic, poison, radiant
Condition Immunities charmed, frightened, poisoned, paralysed
Languages -
Challenge 23 (50,000 XP)

Legendary Resistance (3/day). If the Kraegg fails a saving throw, it can choose to succeed instead.

Magic Resistance. The Kraegg has advantage on saving throws against spells and other magical effects.

Actions
Multiattack. The Kraegg can use its Frightful Presence. It then makes three attacks: one with its bite and two with its claws.

Bite. Melee Weapon Attack: +15 to hit, reach 10 ft., one target. Hit: 14 (1d12 + 8) piercing damage. If the target is a creature, it is grappled (escape DC 18). Until this grapple ends, the target is restrained, and the Kraegg can't bite another target.

Claw. Melee Weapon Attack: +15 to hit, reach 10ft., one target. Hit: 17 (2d8 + 8) slashing damage.

Tail. Melee Weapon Attack: +15 to hit, reach 10ft., one target. Hit: 19 (2d10 + 8) bludgeoning damage.

Frightful Presence. Each creature of the Kraegg's choice within 120 feet of it and aware of it must succeed on a DC 15 Wisdom saving throw or become frightened for 1 minute. A creature can repeat the saving throw at the end of each of its turns, with disadvantage if the Kraegg is within line of sight, ending the effect on itself on a success. If a creature's saving throw is successful or the effect ends for it, the creature is immune to the Kraegg's Frightful Presence for the next 24 hours.

Psychic Roar (Recharge 5-6). The Kraegg emits chaotic psychic energy in a 90-foot cone. Each creature in that area takes 28 (8d6) psychic damage or half as much if it succeeds on a DC 20 Wisdom saving throw. Any creature that fails its save is pushed 10 feet away from the Kraegg.

Legendary Actions
The Kraegg can take 3 legendary actions, choosing from the options below. Only one legendary action option can be used at a time and only at the end of another creature's turn. The Kraegg regains spent legendary actions at the start of her turn.

Soul Drain (Costs 2 Actions). The Kraegg drains life energy from creatures around it. Each creature within 60 feet of the Kraegg must succeed on a DC 15 Charisma saving throw or take 9 (2d8) necrotic damage. The Kraegg recovers hit points equal to half of the total amount dealt with this ability.

1Forge
2015-08-25, 11:39 AM
I just skimmed through your OP, but saw this and thought: an extra 2d4/round (assuming 2 hits, as per the standard for AoE attacks) is not a lot of damage for a CR20 creature. The adult red dragon (CR17) is throwing out 6d8+24 damage per round in Legendary Actions.

I'll have a look through your OP in more detail and see if I can homebrew something in a minute... well, it came out well above the target CR. Maybe this is the adult version? You can probably scale it down to something more reasonable if you want. And I apologise if there are any typos, I did this in a hurry.

Young Adult Kraegg

This is sooo perfect thank you ninja! Though I think I'll give it immunity to fire in it's adult form (its part devil after all) Also I've never DM'd a legendary action is it just a bonus action basically? Also I think I'll say the third eye has 10 hp, and the roar pushes targets 10 feet away on a failed save (to make it more difficult to climb on it and stay on it) Thank you though this is what i needed I'll also tone down the young kraegg to ease my players into the plot (they could find a young one and kill it with help from a town or something)

Ninja_Prawn
2015-08-25, 12:31 PM
A legendary action happens at the end of another player's turn. The idea is that it lets a single monster compete against a full party in the action economy battle, though whether it actually achieves that is another question.

So, if one PC has a turn and does whatever, then it's Ragnar the dwarven fighter's turn next, you can say "nope, legendary action. Kraegg moves 20 feet away from Ragnar."

Edit: and I just realised, I screwed up on the save DCs. They should all be 2 points lower, except the grapple one. I'll strike this through once I've edited my OP.

Edit 2: have you read the Angry GM's Return of the Son of the D&D Boss Fight? This thing's "third eye" is screaming out for that treatment. I'll try and write a Paragon version of the Kraegg (and a young version at CR 18 or so) after I've had some tea.

1Forge
2015-08-25, 02:21 PM
A legendary action happens at the end of another player's turn. The idea is that it lets a single monster compete against a full party in the action economy battle, though whether it actually achieves that is another question.

So, if one PC has a turn and does whatever, then it's Ragnar the dwarven fighter's turn next, you can say "nope, legendary action. Kraegg moves 20 feet away from Ragnar."

Edit: and I just realised, I screwed up on the save DCs. They should all be 2 points lower, except the grapple one. I'll strike this through once I've edited my OP.

Edit 2: have you read the Angry GM's Return of the Son of the D&D Boss Fight? This thing's "third eye" is screaming out for that treatment. I'll try and write a Paragon version of the Kraegg (and a young version at CR 18 or so) after I've had some tea.

You are a D&D genius. thank you this will help my game alot.

Ninja_Prawn
2015-08-25, 03:06 PM
Ok, here goes with the paragon and young versions. I hope these work...
Ultimate Kraegg
Gargantuan paragon monstrosity (titan), unaligned
Armour Class Monster form: 20 (natural armour), Psychic Terror & Fiend forms: 18 (natural armour)
Hit Points 124/124/124 (8d20 + 40 ea.)
Speed 45 ft.

STR
DEX
CON
INT
WIS
CHA

27 (+8)
10 (+0)
20 (+5)
1 (-5)
10 (+0)
16 (+3)

Saving Throws Dex +4, Int -1, Wis +4, Cha +7
Damage Resistances fire, lightning, necrotic, poison, psychic, bludgeoning, piercing and slashing from nonmagical weapons
Damage Immunities radiant
Languages -
Challenge Paragon 12 (25,200 XP) - counts as three creatures.

Legendary Resistance (1/day, Monster form only). If the Kraegg fails a saving throw, it can choose to succeed instead.

Magic Resistance (Monster and Psychic Terror forms only). The Kraegg has advantage on saving throws against spells and other magical effects.

Devil's Sight (Fiend form only). The Kraegg gains truesight to a range of 120 feet.

Hellish Resistance (Fiend form only). The Kraegg gains immunity to fire and poison damage.

Hellish Weapons (Fiend form only). The Kraegg's weapon attacks are magical and deal an extra 9 (2d8) poison damage on a hit.

Mental Armour (Psychic Terror form only). The Kraegg gains immunity to lightning and psychic damage.

Siege Monster (Monster form only). The Kraegg deals double damage to objects and structures.

Actions
Multiattack (Monster form). The Kraegg can use its Frightful Presence. It then makes three attacks: one with its Bite and two with its Claws.

Multiattack (Psychic Terror form). The Kraegg can use its Frightful Presence. It then makes three attacks: one with its Third Eye Ray and two with its Claws.

Multiattack (Fiend form). The Kraegg can use its Frightful Presence. It then makes three attacks with its Claws.

Bite (Monster form only). Melee Weapon Attack: +12 to hit, reach 10 ft., one target. Hit: 19 (2d10 + 8) piercing damage. If the target is a creature, it is grappled (escape DC 18). Until this grapple ends, the target is restrained, and the Kraegg can't bite another target.

Claw. Melee Weapon Attack: +12 to hit, reach 10ft., one target. Hit: 17 (2d8 + 8) slashing damage.

Frightful Presence. Each creature of the Kraegg's choice within 120 feet of it and aware of it must succeed on a DC 15 Wisdom saving throw or become frightened for 1 minute. A creature can repeat the saving throw at the end of each of its turns, with disadvantage if the Kraegg is within line of sight, ending the effect on itself on a success. If a creature's saving throw is successful or the effect ends for it, the creature is immune to the Kraegg's Frightful Presence for the next 24 hours.

Hellish Roar (Recharge 5-6, Fiend form only). The Kraegg emits chaotic psychic energy in a 90-foot cone. Each creature in that area takes 19 (3d12) necrotic damage or half as much if it succeeds on a DC 17 Wisdom saving throw. Any creature that fails its save has disadvantage on all attack rolls and ability checks on its next turn.

Mighty Roar (Recharge 5-6, Monster form only). The Kraegg emits a loud roar in a 90-foot cone. Each creature in that area takes 22 (5d8) bludgeoning damage or half as much if it succeeds on a DC 17 Constitution saving throw. Any creature that fails its save is pushed 10 feet away from the Kraegg.

Psychic Roar (Recharge 5-6, Psychic Terror form only). The Kraegg emits chaotic psychic energy in a 90-foot cone. Each creature in that area takes 36 (8d8) psychic damage or half as much if it succeeds on a DC 17 Wisdom saving throw.

Soul Drain (Psychic Terror and Fiend forms only). The Kraegg drains life energy from creatures around it. Each creature within 60 feet of the Kraegg must succeed on a DC 15 Charisma saving throw or take 9 (2d8) necrotic damage. The Kraegg recovers hit points equal to half of the total amount dealt with this ability.

Third Eye Ray (Psychic Terror form only). The Kraegg chooses one creature it can see within 120 feet. The target must make a DC 17 Constitution saving throw, taking 36 (8d8) necrotic damage on a failed save, or half as much damage on a successful one.

Paragon Traits
Paragon Fortitude. The Kraegg has three pools of hit points, each of which is tracked separately. All damage and healing must be completely applied to only one pool. When a pool is reduced to zero, all ongoing conditions and effects affecting the Kraegg end. Once a pool is reduced to zero, that pool cannot receive any healing until after a long rest. If all hit of the point pools are reduced to zero, the Kraegg is killed.

Paragon Fury. The Kraegg may take one additional turn in each round of combat for each of its hit point pools that have been reduced to zero. The Kraegg determines initiative normally for its first turn, though it gains advantage on the roll. Each subsequent turn the Kraegg gains is inserted immediately after any one PC’s turn in the initiative order.

Paragon Transformation. The Kraegg has three forms, each corresponding to one of the Kraegg’s hit point pools. The Kraegg begins the battle in its Monster form. When that form’s hit point pool has been reduced to zero, it assumes its Psychic Terror form immediately and when that form’s hit point pool has been reduced to zero, it assumes its Fiend form immediately. Statistics, traits, or actions keyed to a specific form are only used when the Kraegg is in that form.
Young Kraegg
Hit Points 248 (16d20 + 80)
Speed 40 ft.

STR
DEX
CON
INT
WIS
CHA

25 (+7)
10 (+0)
20 (+5)
1 (-5)
8 (-1)
10 (+0)

Saving Throws Dex +6, Int +1, Wis +6, Cha +6
Damage Resistances fire, lightning, necrotic, psychic, bludgeoning, piercing and slashing from nonmagical weapons
Damage Immunities poison, radiant
Senses blindsight 30ft., darkvision 60ft., passive Perception 10
Languages -
Challenge 17 (18,000 XP)

Legendary Resistance (1/day). If the Kraegg fails a saving throw, it can choose to succeed instead.

Actions

Bite. Melee Weapon Attack: +13 to hit, reach 10 ft., one target. Hit: 13 (1d12 + 7) piercing damage. If the target is a creature, it is grappled (escape DC 18). Until this grapple ends, the target is restrained, and the Kraegg can't bite another target.

Claw. Melee Weapon Attack: +13 to hit, reach 10ft., one target. Hit: 11 (1d8 + 7) slashing damage.

Tail. Melee Weapon Attack: +13 to hit, reach 10ft., one target. Hit: 12 (1d10 + 7) bludgeoning damage.

Frightful Presence. Each creature of the Kraegg's choice within 120 feet of it and aware of it must succeed on a DC 14 Wisdom saving throw or become frightened for 1 minute. A creature can repeat the saving throw at the end of each of its turns, with disadvantage if the Kraegg is within line of sight, ending the effect on itself on a success. If a creature's saving throw is successful or the effect ends for it, the creature is immune to the Kraegg's Frightful Presence for the next 24 hours.

Psychic Roar (Recharge 5-6). The Kraegg emits chaotic psychic energy in a 60-foot cone. Each creature in that area takes 14 (4d6) psychic damage or half as much if it succeeds on a DC 19 Wisdom saving throw. Any creature that fails its save is pushed 5 feet away from the Kraegg.

Legendary Actions

Soul Drain (Costs 2 Actions). The Kraegg drains life energy from creatures around it. Each creature within 60 feet of the Kraegg must succeed on a DC 14 Charisma saving throw or take 7 (2d6) necrotic damage. The Kraegg recovers hit points equal to half of the total amount dealt with this ability.

...ok, can someone help with the CR calculation please? Compared to an adult red dragon, the young kraegg looks weaker in all departments. You do count legendary actions in the damage calculation, right? As far as I can tell, the MM has the adult red dragon (and therefore I guess all dragons) way under-CR'd. It should be more like 21, not 17!

1Forge
2015-08-25, 03:16 PM
The paragon kraegg is the perfect BBG for my game, I think I'll say that it is a kraegg that Grawn has possesed temporarily. Seriously these stats are amazing thank you so much.

Ninja_Prawn
2015-08-25, 03:39 PM
So, I'm done with the homebrewing (you might want to update the OP again), but comparing these to similar-CR creatures in the MM, they look way off. Does anyone have any thoughts on this? Are the MM dragons overpowered? Are the DMG monster creation guidelines wrong at high CRs?

1Forge
2015-08-25, 07:47 PM
So, I'm done with the homebrewing (you might want to update the OP again), but comparing these to similar-CR creatures in the MM, they look way off. Does anyone have any thoughts on this? Are the MM dragons overpowered? Are the DMG monster creation guidelines wrong at high CRs?

well the Kraegg can heal every round so that balences things off.

Ziegander
2015-08-25, 09:01 PM
Ok, here goes with the paragon and young versions. I hope these work...
Ultimate Kraegg
Gargantuan paragon monstrosity (titan), unaligned
Armour Class Monster form: 20 (natural armour), Psychic Terror & Fiend forms: 18 (natural armour)
Hit Points 124/124/124 (8d20 + 40 ea.)
Speed 45 ft.

STR
DEX
CON
INT
WIS
CHA

27 (+8)
10 (+0)
20 (+5)
1 (-5)
10 (+0)
16 (+3)

Saving Throws Dex +4, Int -1, Wis +4, Cha +7
Damage Resistances fire, lightning, necrotic, poison, psychic, bludgeoning, piercing and slashing from nonmagical weapons
Damage Immunities radiant
Languages -
Challenge Paragon 12 (25,200 XP) - counts as three creatures.

Legendary Resistance (1/day, Monster form only). If the Kraegg fails a saving throw, it can choose to succeed instead.

Magic Resistance (Monster and Psychic Terror forms only). The Kraegg has advantage on saving throws against spells and other magical effects.

Devil's Sight (Fiend form only). The Kraegg gains truesight to a range of 120 feet.

Hellish Resistance (Fiend form only). The Kraegg gains immunity to fire and poison damage.

Hellish Weapons (Fiend form only). The Kraegg's weapon attacks are magical and deal an extra 9 (2d8) poison damage on a hit.

Mental Armour (Psychic Terror form only). The Kraegg gains immunity to lightning and psychic damage.

Siege Monster (Monster form only). The Kraegg deals double damage to objects and structures.

Actions
Multiattack (Monster form). The Kraegg can use its Frightful Presence. It then makes three attacks: one with its Bite and two with its Claws.

Multiattack (Psychic Terror form). The Kraegg can use its Frightful Presence. It then makes three attacks: one with its Third Eye Ray and two with its Claws.

Multiattack (Fiend form). The Kraegg can use its Frightful Presence. It then makes three attacks with its Claws.

Bite (Monster form only). Melee Weapon Attack: +12 to hit, reach 10 ft., one target. Hit: 19 (2d10 + 8) piercing damage. If the target is a creature, it is grappled (escape DC 18). Until this grapple ends, the target is restrained, and the Kraegg can't bite another target.

Claw. Melee Weapon Attack: +12 to hit, reach 10ft., one target. Hit: 17 (2d8 + 8) slashing damage.

Hellish Roar (Recharge 5-6, Fiend form only). The Kraegg emits chaotic psychic energy in a 90-foot cone. Each creature in that area takes 19 (3d12) necrotic damage or half as much if it succeeds on a DC 17 Wisdom saving throw. Any creature that fails its save has disadvantage on all attack rolls and ability checks on its next turn.

Mighty Roar (Recharge 5-6, Monster form only). The Kraegg emits a loud roar in a 90-foot cone. Each creature in that area takes 22 (5d8) bludgeoning damage or half as much if it succeeds on a DC 17 Constitution saving throw. Any creature that fails its save is pushed 10 feet away from the Kraegg.

Psychic Roar (Recharge 5-6, Psychic Terror form only). The Kraegg emits chaotic psychic energy in a 90-foot cone. Each creature in that area takes 36 (8d8) psychic damage or half as much if it succeeds on a DC 17 Wisdom saving throw.

Soul Drain (Psychic Terror and Fiend forms only). The Kraegg drains life energy from creatures around it. Each creature within 60 feet of the Kraegg must succeed on a DC 15 Charisma saving throw or take 9 (2d8) necrotic damage. The Kraegg recovers hit points equal to half of the total amount dealt with this ability.

Third Eye Ray (Psychic Terror form only). The Kraegg chooses one creature it can see within 120 feet. The target must make a DC 17 Constitution saving throw, taking 36 (8d8) necrotic damage on a failed save, or half as much damage on a successful one.

Paragon Traits
Paragon Fortitude. The Kraegg has three pools of hit points, each of which is tracked separately. All damage and healing must be completely applied to only one pool. When a pool is reduced to zero, all ongoing conditions and effects affecting the Kraegg end. Once a pool is reduced to zero, that pool cannot receive any healing until after a long rest. If all hit of the point pools are reduced to zero, the Kraegg is killed.

Paragon Fury. The Kraegg may take one additional turn in each round of combat for each of its hit point pools that have been reduced to zero. The Kraegg determines initiative normally for its first turn, though it gains advantage on the roll. Each subsequent turn the Kraegg gains is inserted immediately after any one PC’s turn in the initiative order.

Paragon Transformation. The Kraegg has three forms, each corresponding to one of the Kraegg’s hit point pools. The Kraegg begins the battle in its Monster form. When that form’s hit point pool has been reduced to zero, it assumes its Psychic Terror form immediately and when that form’s hit point pool has been reduced to zero, it assumes its Fiend form immediately. Statistics, traits, or actions keyed to a specific form are only used when the Kraegg is in that form.
Young Kraegg
Hit Points 248 (16d20 + 80)
Speed 40 ft.

STR
DEX
CON
INT
WIS
CHA

25 (+7)
10 (+0)
20 (+5)
1 (-5)
8 (-1)
10 (+0)

Saving Throws Dex +6, Int +1, Wis +6, Cha +6
Damage Resistances fire, lightning, necrotic, psychic, bludgeoning, piercing and slashing from nonmagical weapons
Damage Immunities poison, radiant
Senses blindsight 30ft., darkvision 60ft., passive Perception 10
Languages -
Challenge 17 (18,000 XP)

Legendary Resistance (1/day). If the Kraegg fails a saving throw, it can choose to succeed instead.

Actions

Bite. Melee Weapon Attack: +13 to hit, reach 10 ft., one target. Hit: 13 (1d12 + 7) piercing damage. If the target is a creature, it is grappled (escape DC 18). Until this grapple ends, the target is restrained, and the Kraegg can't bite another target.

Claw. Melee Weapon Attack: +13 to hit, reach 10ft., one target. Hit: 11 (1d8 + 7) slashing damage.

Tail. Melee Weapon Attack: +13 to hit, reach 10ft., one target. Hit: 12 (1d10 + 7) bludgeoning damage.

Frightful Presence. Each creature of the Kraegg's choice within 120 feet of it and aware of it must succeed on a DC 14 Wisdom saving throw or become frightened for 1 minute. A creature can repeat the saving throw at the end of each of its turns, with disadvantage if the Kraegg is within line of sight, ending the effect on itself on a success. If a creature's saving throw is successful or the effect ends for it, the creature is immune to the Kraegg's Frightful Presence for the next 24 hours.

Psychic Roar (Recharge 5-6). The Kraegg emits chaotic psychic energy in a 60-foot cone. Each creature in that area takes 14 (4d6) psychic damage or half as much if it succeeds on a DC 19 Wisdom saving throw. Any creature that fails its save is pushed 5 feet away from the Kraegg.

Legendary Actions

Soul Drain (Costs 2 Actions). The Kraegg drains life energy from creatures around it. Each creature within 60 feet of the Kraegg must succeed on a DC 14 Charisma saving throw or take 7 (2d6) necrotic damage. The Kraegg recovers hit points equal to half of the total amount dealt with this ability.

...ok, can someone help with the CR calculation please? Compared to an adult red dragon, the young kraegg looks weaker in all departments. You do count legendary actions in the damage calculation, right? As far as I can tell, the MM has the adult red dragon (and therefore I guess all dragons) way under-CR'd. It should be more like 21, not 17!

Okay, the concept of the Paragon Transformation forms is very cool, but I'm not sure the Challenge rating is accurate. What you have, essentially, is an encounter with three CR 12 creatures that fight you one at a time, but each successive creature gains a whole extra turn (which is a massive power spike even stronger than once per turn Action Surge). I would say that is at least worth one higher Challenge each time a form is defeated, if not two. Essentially you're doubling, then tripling the creature's damage per round.

Going by the DMG that would mean that the second form's offensive CR goes from 12 to 19, making it's average CR jump from 12 to 15.5; and the third form's offensive CR leaps up to 23, meaning it should now have a CR of 17.5. That would put the final XP tally somewhere between 41000 and 43000 making it essentially a CR 23 encounter.

Ninja_Prawn
2015-08-25, 11:41 PM
Okay, the concept of the Paragon Transformation forms is very cool, but I'm not sure the Challenge rating is accurate. What you have, essentially, is an encounter with three CR 12 creatures that fight you one at a time, but each successive creature gains a whole extra turn (which is a massive power spike even stronger than once per turn Action Surge). I would say that is at least worth one higher Challenge each time a form is defeated, if not two. Essentially you're doubling, then tripling the creature's damage per round.

Going by the DMG that would mean that the second form's offensive CR goes from 12 to 19, making it's average CR jump from 12 to 15.5; and the third form's offensive CR leaps up to 23, meaning it should now have a CR of 17.5. That would put the final XP tally somewhere between 41000 and 43000 making it essentially a CR 23 encounter.

1. Yes, it is cool. Credit to Angry for that.

2. The CR calculation is his design. You're supposed to take 3x CR12, then multiply it as if there were 3 creatures, which comes out at 50,400 XP of challenge.

3. My design intent here was to create an encounter that is on the same level as the 'adult' version (but more exciting), hence the name 'ultimate'. So I maintain that I got it spot on.