PDA

View Full Version : Finally getting to play an archer character! Could use some help.

Swordprince
2015-08-24, 05:17 PM
To make it short and simple, I'll be playing an archer, something I have wanted for a very long time and finally gotten around to doing. I'm planning my character right now, and I've noticed there's a lot of choice regarding feats, classes and abilities, and I thought it would be a good idea to get multiple perspectives on the matter.

Here's what I know so far:

- I know the character will be an archer. My stats (without any modifications from races, feats etc) are 16, 15, 13, 11, 15, 10. In the exact order I rolled them.
- I know my DEX will be 16, WIS 15, the rest is up to debate.
- I know that the class I want to play is Fighter, most likely going for Battle Master. Eldritch Knight is kind of questionable since in this campaign, the weave of magic is unstable due to a war that lasted very long and involved powerful spellcasters, making spellcasting unstable as well, not to mention that casting spells further endangers the world we live in, which is why I want to go for BM rather than an EK. On top of that, there are groups that hunt down casters as well, seeing them as a threat to the future of their world.
- I know I want my character to do very good damage and have excellent accuracy.
- I know I want him to have good mobility, and be nimble.
- I know I don't want to dual wield crossbows, because it's totally out of place, and has been erratad (thank you lord) and confirmed that one cannot dual wield crossbows. And thank god for that, too. I'll be using a Longbow, though I think that goes without saying :)

Here's what I don't know, or am not sure about:

- I don't know which race to go for. Variant Human is what I am leaning towards at the moment as it is very versatile, but Wood Elf seems very appealing as well for the stats and the mobility.
- I don't know whether to take feats first or max my DEX.
- I don't know which feats to take, and in what order. There are lots of good feats for archers, which makes Variant Human all the more appealing. Alert, Mobile, Sharpshooter are only some of the feats. Sharpshooter is pretty mandatory, and Alert is pretty sick for an archer as well. Other feats include Magic Initiate (Hunter's Mark) if, and only IF, I decide to go for some minor spellcasting.

So, that's about. I'm not sure about my race, feats and ability increases.

I envisioned my character as an Elf or Human Fighter Battle Master with Precision Attack, Pushing Attack and Parry for starting maneuvers. For feats Sharpshooter, Alert, Mobile (not necessarily in that order), but I also need to max my DEX as soon as possible.

I read guides on archers and other character concepts, and many state that one should maximize ability scores first, and go for feats later. I know for a fact that I do need to max my DEX ASAP, but feats like Sharpshooter are mandatory, and the Mobile and Alert feats are also outstanding, so I'm not sure about all of that. Hopefully someone can give me a push in the right direction here :)

I know it's a long read, so thanks for reading this far!

ZenBear
2015-08-24, 05:37 PM
Well if you go for VHuman I say bump your Wis to 16 and Con to 14 and take Sharpshooter lvl 1. From there max Dex by 6 and after that take all the Feats you want.

TBH, I would go Champion for the bonus to physical skills, extra crit chance and so you can take both Archery FS and Mariner for climb and swim speeds. You should also consider Multiclassing into Rogue (I don't recall if it has a Cha req, but it shouldn't) for Expertise, Cunning Action and SA, among other awesome abilities. Take Assassin for the lvl 3 ability. As for when to dip, I would think it's pretty flexible but perhaps wait for lvl 6 Fighter, dip 3-6 Rogue, then continue as Fighter.

djreynolds
2015-08-24, 05:48 PM
Cool. I'm of the opinion, and most will tell you I'm a fool, but a dedicated archer must be able to do a few other skills. And each one comes with a build.

Scout sniper obviously, but more bang for your buck to cherry pick only 3 of assassin and 3 Hunter dispersed among 16 fighter.

Volley, straight ranger for 11 at least and rogue five. He can scout, heal, and provides utility.

Healer, tempest cleric fighter nasty. He's not scouting. Hurt or heal and buff.

Ambusher, rogue with a little fighter and two levels of ranger, he's your guy who really needs mobile and alert and skulker.

Go to guy, put those stats in dex, and str, and con. Go fighter or barbarian or both. Longbow and great sword, the linebacker.

And don't forget monk. He can do it all, except heal

JackPhoenix
2015-08-24, 06:30 PM
I'd go with Wood Elf. Yes, you'll have to wait until level 4 for your first feat, but with starting Dex 18 (with racial bonus), you'll be one ASI from 20, so it can wait, and with fighter bonus ASI's, you'll have enough opportunities to grab other feats/the one ASI in Dex you'll need. Darkvision and free proficiency in Perception are both good for ranged character, increased speed is something you want anyway, and being able to hide in light obscurement is good for sniper...I'd taken 2 levels of Rogue for Cunning Action to hide as an bonus action after every attack round. You'll mis one ASI (but you should have enough anyway) and 4th extra attack, but you'll get some extra skill proficiency from Rogue multiclass, Expertise and 1d6 sneak attack.

Arial Black
2015-08-24, 06:54 PM
I'm not sure you can get hunter's mark with Magic Initiate, but if you could tell us how, I'd be grateful.

At first glance it is a first level spell and the feat lets you choose one first level spell. The trouble is, when you look in detail you realize that this spell must be a first level spell on one of the following class spell lists: bard, cleric, druid, sorcerer, warlock, wizard. That spell is not on any of those lists.

All is not lost! You can use the feat to get hex, which is on the warlock list, does the same main job (extra 1d6 damage per hit) and arguably a better side benefit (impose disadvantage on ability checks tied to a stat of your choice versus better tracking).

A couple of drawbacks; it has VSM components instead of just V (requiring a free hand), and the M component is a petrified newt eye, which may be a little conspicuous in your particular campaign. The extra damage is also necrotic rather than blunt/piercing/slashing.

CallMeJefe
2015-08-24, 06:59 PM
Have you considered the Totem Warrior Barbarian? All of the Eagle totem abilities fit into your desired theme, especially the 6th level one. Combined with Darkvision, you'd be able to make Wisdom(Perception) checks in total darkness without disadvantage, at excellent distances. Furthermore, the Barbarian gains an increase to speed, advantage on Initiative checks(icing on your high Dex + Alert cake), and Rage(which acts primarily as a defensive/tactical buff in this case). Personally, I'd take Barbarian to 8th level, and then multiclass into Fighter or Rogue(Assassin in particular) the rest of the way. This choice would go excellently with Wood Elf, for the compatible ability scores, Darkvision, a small speed boost, and the ever-handy Mask of the Wild.

Sigreid
2015-08-24, 07:11 PM
If you go variant human, check out the stalker feat. Ability to shoot people without giving away your position? Yes please.

JellyPooga
2015-08-24, 07:12 PM
I'm going to recommend the following;

Race: Wood Elf
Level / Class
1-3 / Rogue (Assassin)
4-11 / Fighter (Battlemaster)
12+ / Rogue

- You get more Skill Proficiencies than starting as Fighter.
- You get to deal heinous damage with Sneak Attack and Assassinate from an early level.
- Wood Elf gives you a starting Dex of 18, Darkvision and the ability to hide better. Not to mention longbow proficiency.
- Expertise can go in Stealth (for hiding) and Perception (for spotting targets), for modifiers of +8 and +7 respectively at level 1.
- You won't get a Feat/ASI until level 7, but you'll get another at 9, 11, 12, 16, 18 and 20. More than enough to play with!
- You won't have to bother with picking up Magic Initiate for Hunters Mark; Sneak Attack trumps it by a long shot.

I'd recommend taking Sharpshooter as your 1st Feat at level 7. Ignoring cover is a Big Deal and by that time, you're looking at a basic attack modifier of +9 (assuming you've taken the Archery Fighting Style and haven't got a magic bow yet), making the -5 penalty for +10 damage a worthwhile trade.

After that, I'd max out Dex (which will only take 1 ASI), then look to pick up the other feats you want. After that, you've got ASI's to spare; bump up Wis or Con, maybe take Resilient for one or both, grab a "flavour" Feat like Dungeon Delver or Observant. If in doubt, just grab Lucky...it's never a bad choice!

Fighting_Ferret
2015-08-24, 07:42 PM
I'm going to second the Rogue/Battlemaster build. Sneak Attack more than compensates for Hunter's Mark and the meagre spell casting of the ranger at lower levels. For maneuvers, I'd say Precision Attack (negates negative from sharp shooter) is the best to choose and the other 2 choices would be good for trip/ disarm, parry, or whatever you like.

Going that route you'll need 5 level of fighter, to get the extra attack, just for a second chance at sneak attack damage.

CNagy
2015-08-24, 08:08 PM
Another vote for the Battlemaster/Rogue (not so much a fan of the assassin, though, as it depends on how giving your DM is regarding surprise rounds.) Rather than starting as a Rogue, though, start as a Fighter. Strength and Constitution save proficiencies are a lot better than Dexterity and Intelligence that the Rogue would give. Considering that Uncanny Dodge and Evasion will work together to make Dex save proficiency largely meaningless and the fact that you can only take the Resilient feat once (you'll want Wisdom), what the Fighter gives you is worth a lot more than the 1 proficiency less you'll have by starting as a Fighter rather than a Rogue.

You don't mention wanting to be a Rogue aside from being mobile, so I would suggest a 12/8 Fighter/Rogue split. 3 attacks, a good amount of sneak attack damage, skills, expertise, evasion, uncanny dodge, and 6 ASIs at the end of the day. I'd suggest Arcane Trickster over Assassin but you've already stated that magic has plot-related drawbacks. Mirror Image and Invisibility are nice to have, though, and an invisible Mage Hand always comes in handy. Ah well.

Race-wise, you've rolled well enough to pick whatever you want. Wood Elf and Human Variant are the clear frontrunners, though.

SharkForce
2015-08-24, 08:24 PM
another thing to consider would be the ranger modified to have no spells. ( https://dnd.wizards.com/articles/features/modifying-classes it's pretty far down, just keep going and you'll get there).

anyways, some mixture of fighter, ranger, and rogue would be my personal recommendation. in any event, i'd drop fighter like a rock after level 11 (12 is nice if you need ASIs, but you've already got great attributes and shouldn't need many more ASIs).

something like 11 fighter/3 ranger/6 rogue, for example. you could also ditch the ranger levels, but if your DM agrees to the ranger variant it's worth an extra 4 superiority dice and 2 maneuvers from 2 levels, and level 3 gets you a nice chunk of healing. potentially up to 10d6 per short rest. that isn't half bad, no? plus, you can take your first hunter ability, which is a nice damage boost too.

so yeah, 3 levels of variant ranger offers quite a bit.

order could be done in a variety of ways, but i'd probably start with either ranger or rogue, go the next 5 levels in fighter, and then review from there (1 more level of ranger gets a bunch more superiority dice which you can use to great effect, 1 level of rogue gives you expertise)

Swordprince
2015-08-25, 02:52 AM
Wow, certainly a lot of choice there, thanks everyone for the feedback. Didn't expect this much :)

JackPhoenix: Lots of people recommending Rogue here. To be honest, I thought about going straight up Fighter, but I have to admit now, I might just actually be sold on Rogue after I take at least 6 levels of Fighter. I want STR and CON save proficiency because CON is pretty important, and I envisioned an archer that is actually durable and tough to take down. Dead archers don't deal damage :P On top of that, more feats and ASIs is something I also need. However, I must say that I am quite sold on multiclassing into Rogue for at least a few levels, after I take at least 6 of Fighter BM.

You also managed to convince me to go for a Wood Elf :) Thanks! I actually forgot how important Darkvision is, especially for a character who has to be a capable scout.

Arial Black: Indeed, you are right, I actually missed out on that fact. Wow xD Still, Hex is just as good, so no big deal there.

CallMeJefe: I didn't consider Barbarian to be honest, at all, mostly because Wood Elf gives me Perception as a bonus skill, also has Darkvision, and speed increase. Advantage on Initiative checks is awesome however, and the Eagle Totem Barbarian seems pretty awesome, not to mention a speed of 45 feet if I play a Wood Elf barbarian. Not bad. Thanks for the heads up.

JellyPooga: Thanks for the build, you certainly made an effort mate :) I'm sold on Wood Elf, and we'll see about the rest. Lots of choice for sure. Was thinking going straight Fighter, but I might just mix it up with Rogue later on. I see a lot of other people saying that Battle Master + Rogue is very, and indeed it is, as I can see. I think I might just go for Fighter BM and Rogue Assassin. Lots of ASIs and feats from both early and later on, which is very good. I think your Battle Master/Assassin build is something I'll work with :)

Thanks to the rest of you as well, I must say you've helped me decide what to play and how to do it :)

Gwendol
2015-08-25, 07:07 AM
Hunter ranger is really good for archery, although the single target damage is only par, but they handle clusters of enemies better. Also spells and skills.

One very important aspect of playing as an archer wood elf is the ability to easily hide in natural environments. Perception and stealth are equally important, after all.

woodlandkammao
2015-08-25, 07:13 AM
Have you considered rogue? Any elf rogue makes an incredible longbow nova

Swordprince
2015-08-25, 07:35 AM
Gwendol: Of course, Wood Elf has Perception, and I could use a background to get a skill like Stealth, or just pick up a level of Rogue to get it. Either way, yeah, Perception is key to any archer.

woodlandkammao: You should read the thread xD Everyone so far has reccomended Rogue, more or less xD

Nifft
2015-08-25, 09:02 AM
It's not optimal, but I'm partial to straight-up Ranger for archery.

If you must multi-class, maybe throw in six levels of Shadow Monk for mobility and emergency melee (without dropping your bow).

Vogonjeltz
2015-08-25, 04:10 PM
I envisioned my character as an Elf or Human Fighter Battle Master with Precision Attack, Pushing Attack and Parry for starting maneuvers. For feats Sharpshooter, Alert, Mobile (not necessarily in that order), but I also need to max my DEX as soon as possible.

You might want to look into Menacing Attack. Targets that are frightened of you are not allowed to come any closer. This is a pretty great debuff for a ranged character.

Tripping and Disarming are also pretty impressive from range. You might consider picking up the Martial Adept feat to increase your number of superiority dice and maneuvers known.

Sharpshooter is basically always going to be good regardless of your dexterity score it's a net damage increase.

Feats are worth taking over increased scores if you think that you will use the increased options.

MaxWilson
2015-08-25, 04:56 PM
- I don't know whether to take feats first or max my DEX.
- I don't know which feats to take, and in what order. There are lots of good feats for archers, which makes Variant Human all the more appealing. Alert, Mobile, Sharpshooter are only some of the feats. Sharpshooter is pretty mandatory, and Alert is pretty sick for an archer as well. Other feats include Magic Initiate (Hunter's Mark) if, and only IF, I decide to go for some minor spellcasting.

As someone who's played with several Dex 14 Sharpshooter fighters, I'd advise you to take Sharpshooter before maxing Dex. The -5/+10 sniping thing won't help you against super-tough ACs, but against orcs, ankhegs, hobgoblins, etc., killing in one shot instead of two more than makes up for hitting 30% less often. Plus, it's relatively easy for other PCs to buff your to-hit via Bless. And Sharpshooter makes nets fun because it negates the usual disadvantage. Finally, depending on how your DM does encounters, getting to ignore long range and cover can be straight-up fantastically game-breaking. Definitely your top priority.

Mobile is great for getting out of melee safely, but it's more important for a solo character than one in the party. So I'd probably do either variant human (Dex 16, Sharpshooter), (level 4) Dex 18, (level 6) Mobile, (level 8) Dex 20 or else put that 16 in Dex and do Wood Elf (Dex 18), (level 4) Sharpshooter, (level 6) Mobile, (level 8) Dex 20. Do the variant human option if you want the extra +1 to float to Constitution for extra HP, or if you want levels 1-4 to be more fun, but overall the Wood Elf package looks more attractive to me personally due to charm advantage and an extra 5' of movement.

Alert is a solid choice too and makes you better at fighting in darkness. Depending on how your group does initiative it may be downright awesome.

If you go variant human, check out the stalker feat. Ability to shoot people without giving away your position? Yes please.

Ability to miss people without giving away your position. You still give away your position on a hit.

djreynolds
2015-08-26, 02:04 AM
Wood Elf or even any Elf, Eladrin with Misty Step is sweet, can make an arcane archer with Eldritch Knight. There's a guide in the forum for it. Can't wait to see the build.

Swordprince
2015-08-26, 08:21 AM
Vogonjeltz: Hmm indeed, menacing attacks is actually pretty good, thanks for the suggestion. Tripping from a range is pretty good, but will give me disadvantage on my ranged attacks if my target is tripped. Kind of counter productive, so I'm not taking it. Of course, my group still kill a downed target, but combat is very often not that clean and tidy :P I don't like disarm either because each opponent gets a free interaction with an item every round, so they get to pick up their weapon without wasting actions. Of course, one of my buddies could take the weapon before the enemy picks it up again, but like I said, combat is very often not that clean and tidy, and ends up being chaotic, and executing these kinds of tactics ends up being difficult.

MaxWilson: That's a very interesting observation regarding DEX score and the Sharpshooter feat, I didn't know you could be that effective with it with just 14 DEX. And yeah, we might just have some buffs on our hands, but I'll see how that goes. In my campaign, using magic carries penalties because the weave of magic is broken due to a long magi war, and casting spells is dangerous in more ways than one. Plus, I usually don't like to rely on buffs and spells outside of my own, because I can't always count on those.

I'll take your advice though, I decided I wanted to be a Wood Elf, and max DEX at level 4, but I might just do what you said, and take Sharpshooter at 4, and max DEX by level 6. Then again, 18 DEX is already pretty darn good, so I might just take Mobile or Alert at level 6. Either way, thanks for the input :)

Gwendol
2015-08-26, 08:50 AM
Well, a high dex leads to higher damage, which is always good. Sharpshooter at 4 is recommended though.

SharkForce
2015-08-26, 09:57 AM
you could take the tripping ability and only use it on the last shot at a given target. or switch targets if it works.

standing up from prone uses up half your movement, so in a situation where you're trying to keep someone from reaching you quickly where they aren't readily subject to menacing attack knocking the enemies prone can be quite helpful.

tieren
2015-08-26, 10:33 AM
Lots of cool potential archery builds:

Rogue tends to go more snipery (one shot one kill)
Ranger tends to focus on aoe (with horde breaker you can be shooting 3 arrows at level 5, just not at the same target, and volley at lvl 11 is cool)
Fighter is firing more arrows than a rogue and is more able to focus fire than a ranger.
Bards can make some great arcane archers, but that seems off the OP's goal of keeping it magic free.

With your campaign setting making magic undesirable, the BM fighter is a good way to go. Your desire to get more mobile is aided greatly by a dip in rogue for cunning action (not to mention all of the goodies mentioned above). Being able to use disengage as a bonus action is huge for an archer, you can disengage, back up a ways, and then shoot that enemy who was in melee in the face without attacks of opportunity or disadvantage.

A benefit to dipping in ranger would also be another fighting style (assume you get archery from fighter you could take defense from ranger to boost your AC more).

My recommendation would be BM 11/rogue 9. I'm a fan of arcane trickster, but in your case I think I would go thief, assassinate is probably not going to be your thing if you go for a heavier armor from the fighter proficiency.

coredump
2015-08-26, 01:50 PM
I am a big fan of Ranger/Rogue, but if avoiding magic... go BM/Rogue.

Even going straight BM or straight EK works well... that 3rd attack at 11 is really nice.

Vogonjeltz
2015-08-26, 04:13 PM
Hmm indeed, menacing attacks is actually pretty good, thanks for the suggestion. Tripping from a range is pretty good, but will give me disadvantage on my ranged attacks if my target is tripped. Kind of counter productive, so I'm not taking it. Of course, my group still kill a downed target, but combat is very often not that clean and tidy :P I don't like disarm either because each opponent gets a free interaction with an item every round, so they get to pick up their weapon without wasting actions. Of course, one of my buddies could take the weapon before the enemy picks it up again, but like I said, combat is very often not that clean and tidy, and ends up being chaotic, and executing these kinds of tactics ends up being difficult.

All true, I usually try to think of it in terms of synergy of tactics with the other players (your experience on how this works may vary) because any individual status effect is usually overcome easily, it's only in combination that they become powerful.

Tripping is great for chase sequences (closing with, or putting distance between you and the enemy) and when combined with a grappler to provide advantage on all melee until the grapple can be broken.

Disarming is great for removing spell components, spell foci, or weapons that might be used for an opportunity attack, but it does require a follow up to either kick the item away, pick it up, or move the opponent away from the weapon (i.e. disarm them, push them, grapple them...now they have no weapon and can't get it back). Much of this can be difficult to achieve as a single character until you get extra attack 2, or it takes multiple rounds with extra attack. Some of it's impossible to really do solo when you only have one attack so if you disarm, your teammates have to know to grapple the guy, or shove him to the ground etc...

Regardless of what you take, it's probably a good idea to discuss with the other players what abilities they are planning on having and how you can use them in tandem to achieve greater efficacy.

PoeticDwarf
2015-08-27, 09:06 AM
Well if you go for VHuman I say bump your Wis to 16 and Con to 14 and take Sharpshooter lvl 1. From there max Dex by 6 and after that take all the Feats you want.

TBH, I would go Champion for the bonus to physical skills, extra crit chance and so you can take both Archery FS and Mariner for climb and swim speeds. You should also consider Multiclassing into Rogue (I don't recall if it has a Cha req, but it shouldn't) for Expertise, Cunning Action and SA, among other awesome abilities. Take Assassin for the lvl 3 ability. As for when to dip, I would think it's pretty flexible but perhaps wait for lvl 6 Fighter, dip 3-6 Rogue, then continue as Fighter.
Maybe you can get good things with champion, but goading attack is made for archers!

My advice, go variant human, take sharpshooter feat. Go for 16 wis, 16 dex, 14 con. Later get some levels rogue, get with 6ASI's (levels rogue 3-6) your dex to 20, your con to 16 and then maybe the skulker feat. Go for battle master along with assassin if you want to avoid magic.

If you have an ASI you can get crossbow expert for 2-4 crossbow attacks instead of 1-3 longbow. With your last ASI maybe magic initate for hex, one spell could be possible I would say.

Sigreid
2015-08-27, 10:01 AM
As someone who's played with several Dex 14 Sharpshooter fighters, I'd advise you to take Sharpshooter before maxing Dex. The -5/+10 sniping thing won't help you against super-tough ACs, but against orcs, ankhegs, hobgoblins, etc., killing in one shot instead of two more than makes up for hitting 30% less often. Plus, it's relatively easy for other PCs to buff your to-hit via Bless. And Sharpshooter makes nets fun because it negates the usual disadvantage. Finally, depending on how your DM does encounters, getting to ignore long range and cover can be straight-up fantastically game-breaking. Definitely your top priority.

Mobile is great for getting out of melee safely, but it's more important for a solo character than one in the party. So I'd probably do either variant human (Dex 16, Sharpshooter), (level 4) Dex 18, (level 6) Mobile, (level 8) Dex 20 or else put that 16 in Dex and do Wood Elf (Dex 18), (level 4) Sharpshooter, (level 6) Mobile, (level 8) Dex 20. Do the variant human option if you want the extra +1 to float to Constitution for extra HP, or if you want levels 1-4 to be more fun, but overall the Wood Elf package looks more attractive to me personally due to charm advantage and an extra 5' of movement.

Alert is a solid choice too and makes you better at fighting in darkness. Depending on how your group does initiative it may be downright awesome.

Ability to miss people without giving away your position. You still give away your position on a hit.

I clearly need to re-read that.

Swordprince
2015-08-28, 03:58 AM
Thanks for all the advice guys, I'm really getting a lot of feedback here :) I'll be thinking about what I want to do with my character, and when I decide for a build, I'll let you all know what I picked! :) Lots of great suggestions here for sure, but sadly, I can pick only one xD Thanks for all the feedback so far guys, you've really given me a lot to work with.

Swordprince
2015-09-21, 08:00 AM
Alright, so I picked a Wood Elf Fighter Battle Master specializing in Archery :) Late reply, I know, but I did say I'd let you all know (not that anyone cares, I know :P). I'll be taking Sharpshooter at level 4, and will start with a Dex of 18, which is very nice. And a 16 Wis, which is also very good. At level 6, I guess I'll max out my Dex or take another feat, such as either Martial Adept for some more Superiority Dice, which I could definitely use (4 isn't all that much), or even the Alert feat, which would go very well with my character. Than again, a good amount of feats would go very well with my character.

In any case, that would be it, tanks all for your help! :)

PoeticDwarf
2015-09-21, 09:18 AM
Alright, so I picked a Wood Elf Fighter Battle Master specializing in Archery :) Late reply, I know, but I did say I'd let you all know (not that anyone cares, I know :P). I'll be taking Sharpshooter at level 4, and will start with a Dex of 18, which is very nice. And a 16 Wis, which is also very good. At level 6, I guess I'll max out my Dex or take another feat, such as either Martial Adept for some more Superiority Dice, which I could definitely use (4 isn't all that much), or even the Alert feat, which would go very well with my character. Than again, a good amount of feats would go very well with my character.

What is your weapon? If you go vhuman you can get crossbow expert and do on level one already 2d6+6 damage instead of 1d8+4 you do now, because I see you don't have crossbow expert and you aren't going to take it, is your weapon an ordinary longbow?

Citan
2015-09-21, 11:40 AM

Ok, so I totally arrived "after the fight". ^^
Excellent choice though.
Do you know if you'll finally stay as a pure Battlemaster or if you'll multiclass?
If you intend to multiclass, you'll go at least BM 11 for the third attack I guess. I'd then suggest, instead of Rogue 9, to go Spell-less Ranger 2 / Rogue 7. You'll still net a good Sneak Attack and the great Evasion ability, but you'll also get an additional Fighting Style, 2 additional Manoeuvers and 4 superiority dice.

If you plan on staying pure BM (which is not a bad choice by far), forget I said anything. :)
Have fun!