PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Warlock Patron: Ur-Priest

Submortimer
2015-08-24, 09:46 PM
Warlock Patron: Ur-Priest

"No gods, No Masters."
- Friedrich Nietzsche, Beyond Good and Evil

http://vignette3.wikia.nocookie.net/forgottenrealms/images/1/1b/Ur-Priest.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20090330164951

Warlocks, as a whole, are a group of individuals who are more than comfortable trading a part of their soul or freedom for great power. Be they Fiends, Fey, Elder Outer Gods, Angels, or any other would-be deity, Patrons trade power for control.

Similarly, Clerics and, to a lesser extent, paladins are beholden to similar entities. The gods worshiped by these men of faith use their reverence to fuel their divine powers, and in return the gods grant them the ability to perfom miracles; never mind the fact that these gods will take your soul just as quickly as any Patron.

In answer to both, there is the Ur-Priest. These Anti-holy men despise those entities that would control man, and seek to steal their powers for themselves.

Ur-Priest Bonus Spell list

Warlock Level
Spells

1st
Cure Wounds, Inflict Wounds

3rd
Lesser Restoration, Ray of Enfeeblement

5th
Bestow Curse, Remove Curse

7th
Blight, Divination

9th
Mass Cure Wounds, Destructive Wave

Mystic Revocation
An Ur-Priest is not beholden to any god, demon, or other extraplanar entity. As such, he revokes any allegiance to these entities, and this forceful revocation is filled with power. At 1st level, the Ur-Priest learns to use the power of his revocation to steal a mote of power from a god or other entity. Select a Cleric Domain; You gain the Channel Divinity ability associated with that domain. Once you use this granted ability, you must take a short or long rest before you can use it again. Following a long rest, you may choose a different Cleric Domain to steal from.
Becoming an Ur-Priest is an all-or-nothing venture. If a creature with levels in cleric chooses to become an Ur-Priest, he loses his ability to cast divine spells and he loses access to his Divine Domain. In response, he may “trade in” levels of cleric for levels of Ur-Priest. Doing so does not change his background, proficiencies, or HP/Hit Dice, only his class abilities.
Paladins are usually unaffected by their decision to become an Ur-Priest, though any that are steadfastly devoted to a specific god run a great risk of becoming an Oathbreaker.

Mystic Larceny
The Ur-Priest is skilled at stealing divine power, but can steal all types of magical energy from his enemies and/or allies. At 6th level, you gain the ability to steal spells and/or spell energy from a creature. Select a creature you can see within 60 ft; That creature must make a charisma saving throw with a DC equal to 8+your Proficiency Modifier+your Charisma Modifier. Failure allows you to steal spell energy from the creature. You gain one Pact Magic spell slot, and if the creature knows spells or has spells prepared, you may learn one of those spells of your choice. The spell learned/stolen must be of a spell level you can cast via Pact Magic. You may only have one additional spell slot from this ability at a time, and, if unspent, it is lost following a short or long rest. Any spells learned using this ability remain with you until you take a long rest.
Once you use this ability, you must take a long or short rest before you can do so again.

Divine Avoidance
Ur-Priests are quite adept at stealing from the gods; by extension, he is also fantastic at avoiding the powers of those from whom he steals. At 10th level, the Ur-Priest gains Advantage on saving throws against spells or abilities used by divine spellcasters (clerics, druids, paladins, rangers) and/or certain divine and sub-divine beings (Fiends, Fey, and Celestials), and resistance to damage from those same abilities.
This resistance extends to beneficial effects as well. If you are the target of a non-damaging spell or ability from one of those same sources, you must make a charisma saving throw (again, with advantage). Success means the spell or ability has no effect. Additionally, when targeted by a cure spell, even if you fail the saving throw, you only heal half the amount you normally would, to a minimum of 1 hp.

Mystic Miracle
At the pinnacle of his ability, an Ur-Priest can call upon the powers of a god with surprising ease and powerful force. At 14th level, he may cast any cleric spell of 6th level or lower, including any spells granted from the domain he is currently stealing from. Doing so does not require any requirements for that spell, including costly components. Once this ability is used, you must take a long rest before doing so again.
At 17th level, you may use this ability to cast any cleric spell of 7th level or lower, and at 20th level, 8th level or lower.

This was a request from a friend of mine who really wanted an Ur-Priest, and this seemed to be a much more flavorful option to make that work. I may also write it up as a Divine Domain, but we'll see how it goes.

Discord
2015-09-06, 07:08 AM
Bumping this cause I think it deserves some more love.

Flashy
2015-09-07, 03:14 AM
Bumping this cause I think it deserves some more love.

Fair enough. TBH I quite like the premise but have no idea how balanced some of the abilities are. Will do my best!

Mystic Revocation is probably fine, but needs a bit of clarification. It should definitely grant only the 2nd level channel divinity and not further options like the Knowledge Cleric's mind reading or the Trickery Cleric's limited invisibility.

Mystic Larceny is probably too much? An extra pact magic slot is pretty hefty when weighed against the other 6th level warlock options. Personally I'd be happier if it was a single use long rest slot, but that's probably better sorted out during actual gameplay. Not sure if I can really evaluate this one.

Divine Avoidence is likely fine. Short rest hit dice will likely get you through the reduced healing, though 5e generally isn't big on downsides to abilities.

Love Mystic Miracle!

Submortimer
2015-09-09, 07:36 AM
Mystic Revocation is probably fine, but needs a bit of clarification. It should definitely grant only the 2nd level channel divinity and not further options like the Knowledge Cleric's mind reading or the Trickery Cleric's limited invisibility.

I'm not 100% on what the more powerful channel divinity powers are, but this seems like a good limitation for the ability.

Mystic Larceny is probably too much? An extra pact magic slot is pretty hefty when weighed against the other 6th level warlock options. Personally I'd be happier if it was a single use long rest slot, but that's probably better sorted out during actual gameplay. Not sure if I can really evaluate this one.

This was the primary feature of the original Ur-Priest, and its not a guarentee that youll get anything out of it. Probably gonna keep as is.

Divine Avoidence is likely fine. Short rest hit dice will likely get you through the reduced healing, though 5e generally isn't big on downsides to abilities.

I'm fully aware of the break from normal design for 5e. It's intended.

[/quote]Love Mystic Miracle![/quote]

Thanks!

JackOfAllBuilds
2017-05-30, 08:12 PM
I know I'm going to receive a strike and warning/reprimand for thread necromancy, but this is just too good to go unnoticed. This is so much better than any current Ur-Priest homebrew by I've seen lately.

I'd love to get some more new eyes on this to evaluate its power