PDA

View Full Version : HotDQ bets?

Alejandro
2015-08-24, 09:47 PM
I posted about this a while ago, I'm the fighter in this case:

"In the current adventure our GM is using, we've just finished battling a full Vampire and two Vampire Spawn to the death (undeath?)

There were 3 of us, and we were level 7; a fighter, a cleric, and a rogue. We got beat up pretty badly for our victory, the fighter is drained down to 40 max HP and the cleric had to use some of their better spells. There was no treasure at all.

We still have a powerful warrior enemy, two enemy wizards, and an adult dragon to fight, and it has been implied that there won't be a chance for a long rest, so the fighter's HP stay drained, etc. We do hope to maybe have 4 or even 5 PCs for these, but no guarantee.

Is this a little much? Should we at least get some potions or something to help?"

Well, we are going to play the conclusion soon, and the GM has basically ruled out us being able to take a long rest before we take on all the other enemies. We won't have a cleric, either. Any bets on how long my now-40 HP fighter lasts against all this? :)

Safety Sword
2015-08-24, 10:09 PM
I posted about this a while ago, I'm the fighter in this case:

"In the current adventure our GM is using, we've just finished battling a full Vampire and two Vampire Spawn to the death (undeath?)

There were 3 of us, and we were level 7; a fighter, a cleric, and a rogue. We got beat up pretty badly for our victory, the fighter is drained down to 40 max HP and the cleric had to use some of their better spells. There was no treasure at all.

We still have a powerful warrior enemy, two enemy wizards, and an adult dragon to fight, and it has been implied that there won't be a chance for a long rest, so the fighter's HP stay drained, etc. We do hope to maybe have 4 or even 5 PCs for these, but no guarantee.

Is this a little much? Should we at least get some potions or something to help?"

Well, we are going to play the conclusion soon, and the GM has basically ruled out us being able to take a long rest before we take on all the other enemies. We won't have a cleric, either. Any bets on how long my now-40 HP fighter lasts against all this? :)

You're under the mistaken impression that D&D has to be fair to PCs :smallamused:

Alejandro
2015-08-24, 10:14 PM
You're under the mistaken impression that D&D has to be fair to PCs :smallamused:

The players are not very happy with the GM about it. If he expects us to play book 2 of this, might need to flex a little. We already thought the smartest thing the PCs could do would be to simply bail instead of all dying, but that sort of ruins book 2, apparently, and the GM asked us not to.

HoarsHalberd
2015-08-25, 04:46 AM
I can't tell you tactics, but there are ways of making this easier. But yeah, it's the books fault rather than the GM's. What you should try and do is avoid the dragon as much as possible. Rezmir(sp?) is a bit of a push over if you can get her on her own, but the others can be a bit tough.

Alejandro
2015-08-25, 09:47 AM
I can't tell you tactics, but there are ways of making this easier. But yeah, it's the books fault rather than the GM's. What you should try and do is avoid the dragon as much as possible. Rezmir(sp?) is a bit of a push over if you can get her on her own, but the others can be a bit tough.

Got it. Our plan is to go right for Rezmir and kill her and anyone else we have to, to get at her. We have no idea what to do about the dragon, because we will probably be entirely shredded and out of stuff after the vampire and its thralls and Rezmir and her goons/wizards.

Madfellow
2015-08-25, 12:01 PM
Find the giants and convince them to help you out. You're on the second floor. The cloud giant Blagothus's tower is on that level. And on the lower level there's a pair of stone giants. Convince them that you're there to help, but that you can't do it all on your own. Convince them to help you help them to fight back. They've also got a small army of ogres backing them up, and a pair of hill giants guarding the lower level courtyard, and a stable full of wyverns that you could potentially tame.

Where is Talis the White? Did she stay behind or did you bring her along with you? If you brought her along, you might be able to blackmail her to keep helping you instead of selling you out.

Go for Rezmir first. As others have said, she's kind of a pushover and she's got a sweet magical greatsword you can use.

It's not hopeless. There are tools at your disposal. Use them. Good luck, and may the Dice be with you. :smallsmile:

Alejandro
2015-08-26, 12:42 PM
Find the giants and convince them to help you out. You're on the second floor. The cloud giant Blagothus's tower is on that level. And on the lower level there's a pair of stone giants. Convince them that you're there to help, but that you can't do it all on your own. Convince them to help you help them to fight back. They've also got a small army of ogres backing them up, and a pair of hill giants guarding the lower level courtyard, and a stable full of wyverns that you could potentially tame.

Where is Talis the White? Did she stay behind or did you bring her along with you? If you brought her along, you might be able to blackmail her to keep helping you instead of selling you out.

Go for Rezmir first. As others have said, she's kind of a pushover and she's got a sweet magical greatsword you can use.

It's not hopeless. There are tools at your disposal. Use them. Good luck, and may the Dice be with you. :smallsmile:

Well, the cloud giant has locked himself in his tower and we can't go in there now. He basically told us 'deal with all these enemies' and has his ogres apparently distracting the minor cultists, so they are busy. The GM mentioned nothing about stone or hill giants.

She stayed behind, we do not have her with us.

We plan to go for Rezmir first, and the wizards with her. Unfortunately, there isn't anyone in the party that can use the greatsword that effectively (I am a Dex rapier fighter and I don't think anyone else is proficient with martial weapons.)

We will get to have our party wizard magically appear and be 7th level, any suggestions for good 4th level spells to pick? I was thinking O's Resilient Sphere to **** an enemy wizard with.

Madfellow
2015-08-26, 09:31 PM
We will get to have our party wizard magically appear and be 7th level, any suggestions for good 4th level spells to pick? I was thinking O's Resilient Sphere to **** an enemy wizard with.

Yeah, there are a few good save or suck spells at that level, as long as he doesn't pick one that grants an Intelligence or Wisdom save.

TheOOB
2015-08-26, 10:00 PM
The party i ran killed Rezmir and got Rath to flee, and then killed the dragon in what ended up being the toughest fight in the campaign. They never fought the vampire. By the time the vampire knew them as enemies there was no reason for her to fight the party.

Alejandro
2015-08-28, 01:22 PM
The consensus of the players so far seems to actually be we should just flee the castle on the wyverns, and come back/track them down another time, when we are not vampire-drained and mangled and unable to rest. However, the GM basically implied we were not allowed to do that, as it would apparently mess up book 2.

charlesk
2015-08-28, 02:37 PM
"You can't do that because it will mess up book 2" doesn't strike me as the epitome of creative DMing.

Hawkstar
2015-08-28, 04:25 PM
The consensus of the players so far seems to actually be we should just flee the castle on the wyverns, and come back/track them down another time, when we are not vampire-drained and mangled and unable to rest. However, the GM basically implied we were not allowed to do that, as it would apparently mess up book 2.

Does it mess it up as badly as a TPK would?

Alejandro
2015-08-29, 08:08 AM
Does it mess it up as badly as a TPK would?

You're right, but we're just the players here :)

We've got our plan: Search the castle for anything that might help us (even a freakin healing potion or something would be nice), then attack Rezmir and Co and throw absolutely everything we have at them. Then take a long rest, regardless of what the GM says, and then take on the dragon, with the full party at full strength.

Madfellow
2015-08-29, 08:26 AM
You're right, but we're just the players here :)

We've got our plan: Search the castle for anything that might help us (even a freakin healing potion or something would be nice), then attack Rezmir and Co and throw absolutely everything we have at them. Then take a long rest, regardless of what the GM says, and then take on the dragon, with the full party at full strength.

Unfortunately, I can't recall any healing potions or other loot except for what's in the dragon's hoard or Rezmir's chest. Seriously though, talk to your GM. Tell him he's being dumb about this. Hole up in the vampire's tower for a night and rest. There's only one entrance into the tower, and it's 100 feet up off the ground.

Ouranos
2015-08-29, 11:22 AM
You actually don't HAVE to do ANYTHING there except deal with Rezmir. Once she's down, escape will not affect book 2. Also, protip, don't kill her until you've looted the chest in her room, if you can ;)

Madfellow
2015-08-29, 11:33 AM
You actually don't HAVE to do ANYTHING there except deal with Rezmir. Once she's down, escape will not affect book 2. Also, protip, don't kill her until you've looted the chest in her room, if you can ;)

Really book 2 just assumes that Skyreach was taken out of the cult's hands, either by killing them all or by destroying the castle. If Blagothus has locked himself away in his tower, maybe you should try finding his wife's ghost or her body. Talk to her and convince her to crash the castle. I'm sure Blagothus has some way to escape.

Alejandro
2015-08-29, 07:59 PM
I don't think the GM is going to let us have a long rest. It doesn't matter, we are going to take one before we try to fight a dragon, regardless.

Will look for said treasure chest, but it's probably guarded by Rezmir all the time.

We are expecting Rezmir and 2 Red Wizards; our plan is for the monk to bum rush one of the wizards and spam him with Stunning Strike to deny him any actions, and for our wizard to attempt to catch the other enemy wizard in an Otiluke's Sphere and render them unable to do anything, either. (Hopefully.) The rogue and I attack Rezmir, and the bard provides healing, as we have no other real source of it.

Ouranos
2015-08-30, 05:01 PM
Unless your DM HATES you, wizards and Rezmir won't be together. Watch out for long hallways! ;)

Safety Sword
2015-08-30, 06:14 PM
I like all of the spoilers. They were great..

TheOOB
2015-09-01, 07:49 PM
I like all of the spoilers. They were great..

If you're playing HotQ you shouldn't really be reading threads about it.

Safety Sword
2015-09-01, 09:41 PM
If you're playing HotQ you shouldn't really be reading threads about it.

If you're playing through it you shouldn't be making threads about what's the final areas, but here we are.

Not my issue, I'm DMing it (twice).

Ouranos
2015-09-01, 10:21 PM
Nobody said no spoilers, he was in fact asking advice. I've revealed a little, and given some generic hints, but very little exact detail.

Alejandro
2015-09-02, 09:36 PM
Well, we lived. Barely. :)