PDA

View Full Version : DM Help How to write a silly, light-hearted game

Drakeburn
2015-08-25, 09:49 AM
Hello playgrounders.

I would like to ask for your help with something.

You see, I DM for my little sister and her friends. Sometimes these kids come up with crazy ideas. My little sister tried to disguise her eladrin sorceress as a kobold, one of her friends loaded a bunch of rocks into a cart (I ruled out that she could've found the cart nearby, since it makes more sense that the kobolds would've left the looted caravan carts around, than having that Gnome Rogue be able to go to a town more than ten miles away, and come back with a cart in under a minute. But they ignored that logic for some reason).

But there is that ONE kid in particular that comes with the most nonsensical ideas, it becomes painful. This player, who I'm gonna call "Shirley", when she first wanted to play D&D, she wanted to name her character after some Minecraft youtubers.

Then when my little sister ran a solo freeform (I think) D&D game with Shirley, she got all the pillow cases in the village, tied them to her pixie character, and have her fly around declaring herself a flying marshmallow.

When my little sister told her about Mutants and Masterminds, Shirley wanted to play more Minecraft like characters. Even a lego shapeshifting robot!

Now, I'm starting realize that while I prefer running serious campaigns, Shirley and her friends seem to want to play silly and light-hearted games. And that causes a bit of conflict right there.

So I'm asking how do you write a silly, light-hearted campaign? This is probably a challenge that is right outside my comfort zone. I don't really know how, but I'm also really afraid of giving Shirley's shenanigans more freedom.

I don't know if I should have this silly, light-hearted campaign set in a dream world (something like Brandon Mull's Five Kingdoms) or have a medieval setting with a comedic approach (Ella Enchanted film, Monty Python and the Holy Grail, Galavant, etc).

How does one make a silly, light-hearted, game of Dungeons and Dragons?

The Grue
2015-08-25, 09:55 AM
To paraphrase my comment in the other thread - does your question entail a strict requirement that the system used must be Dungeons and Dragons?

Mutazoia
2015-08-25, 10:08 AM
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?290243-High-School-Harem-Comedy-(Game-System-PEACH)

Drakeburn
2015-08-25, 10:17 AM
To paraphrase my comment in the other thread - does your question entail a strict requirement that the system used must be Dungeons and Dragons?

It is the only system I do have. (Well, Dungeons and Dragons 4e to be exact)

Compared to the other D&D systems, 4th Edition looks like a good choice to run a game for a group of 12 year olds.

Lord Torath
2015-08-25, 10:38 AM
You could have the only races available be Pony (warrior/rogue) and unicorn (wizard/priest), and play D&D - Friendship is Dragons...

Lurkmoar
2015-08-25, 10:51 AM
You could have the only races available be Pony (warrior/rogue) and unicorn (wizard/priest), and play D&D - Friendship is Dragons...

I take it you're talking about this comic? (http://friendshipisdragons.thecomicseries.com/comics/first/)

How light hearted are you talking? There's a spectrum of things. Are we talking Willow or the Care Bears?

The Grue
2015-08-25, 10:52 AM
It is the only system I do have. (Well, Dungeons and Dragons 4e to be exact)

Okay but...That doesn't answer my question. You wouldn't say "I want to bake a cake but I don't have any eggs; do you have a recipe that uses oranges instead?"

Compared to the other D&D systems, 4th Edition looks like a good choice to run a game for a group of 12 year olds.

And when all you have is a hammer everything looks like a nail.

Drakeburn
2015-08-25, 11:29 AM
All I'm asking how to write a silly and light-hearted D&D campaign. Not "what system would be best for kids?"

@ Lurkmoar: I'm not exactly sure how light-hearted or silly to make it. I just want to make it so that whatever crazy ideas Shirley has, it'll fit in the game.

Jormengand
2015-08-25, 11:36 AM
Write the game exactly as though it were serious. Feel free to include anything up to Gothic horror in the premise, setting and plot. We recommend a liberal dose of Cthulhu. Then, let the players come up with silly ideas in-character. Nothing is more funny than a set of ridiculously-dressed heroes barging open the door to a temple of unspeakable horror, and defeating the bemused cultists with a well-aimed barrage of pillows.

GPuzzle
2015-08-25, 11:38 AM
Write the game exactly as though it were serious. Feel free to include anything up to Gothic horror in the premise, setting and plot. We recommend a liberal dose of Cthulhu. Then, let the players come up with silly ideas in-character. Nothing is more funny than a set of ridiculously-dressed heroes barging open the door to a temple of unspeakable horror, and defeating the bemused cultists with a well-aimed barrage of pillows.

That's actually more or less 4e normally, just a lot more heroic in its goal but knowing PCs it inevitably becomes very silly, ranging from "absurd ideas" to "Monty Python" to "Robot Chicken".

Corey
2015-08-25, 12:30 PM
Refluff.

When it comes to marshmallows and pillows, literally refluff. :smallbiggrin:

It needn't affect the game at all whether you give a magic user a Bracer of Protection or a Sparkly Bangle Bracelet of Protection. Light Armor can be made out of leather or spandex. Bigby's Interposing Hand could be Mom's Admonishing Finger. Characters could save each other with Chocolate Chip Cookies of Healing.

And so on. Just get your players seriously involved in the creativity of the re-fluffing, and you should be fine.

The Grue
2015-08-25, 12:40 PM
All I'm asking how to write a silly and light-hearted D&D campaign. Not "what system would be best for kids?"

Your pardon sir, but this thread was posted to the General RPG forum. If your question is specific to running a D&D4e campaign perhaps you should have a mod move it to the appropriate subforum.

Drakeburn
2015-08-25, 01:22 PM
Your pardon sir, but this thread was posted to the General RPG forum. If your question is specific to running a D&D4e campaign perhaps you should have a mod move it to the appropriate subforum.

........ But I'm just asking how to run a silly, light-hearted Dungeons and Dragons campaign in general. Just because I have D&D 4e does not mean I'm restricted from advice or experience that can apply to other systems. It isn't a matter of mechanics, it is a matter of setting and theme.

@ Corey: I suppose that can work. As long as the mechanics don't change, those items can be whatever they'd like them to be.

Now to figure out what kind of setting and plot would fit Shirley's actions PERFECTLY without having to worry about her derailing the game. (That last bit there is probably my biggest concern there).

mikeejimbo
2015-08-25, 03:32 PM
In general, let players' plans have a chance of working. Want to disguise your Eladrin as a kobold? Bluff check vs the opponent's Will Defense. It doesn't matter how much of a penalty it would realistically have. Want to Intimidate someone by threatening to unleash the marshmallow ghost? Why the heck not? Instead of asking why, ask "why not". Go with the general rule of improv to say "Yes and". Roll with players' suggestions. She wants her pixie to become the queen of the faeries? Work that in. When another player complains, ask her what she wants and give that to her as well. "If she gets to be the faerie queen I want to be a demon princess." Awesome, now the faerie queen and her faeries and the demon princess and her cohort of demons will go on an adventure. Possibly to overthrow the humans and make them burn and suffer. (Note: I'm basing this off what 12 year old girls I knew in middle school were like - are they still subversive pyromaniacs?)

Broken Crown
2015-08-25, 04:21 PM
So I'm asking how do you write a silly, light-hearted campaign? This is probably a challenge that is right outside my comfort zone. I don't really know how, but I'm also really afraid of giving Shirley's shenanigans more freedom.

I think the key point is, don't be afraid to be silly. Mechanically, the game doesn't need to be any different from any other game you've run. But if genuine silliness is outside your comfort zone, you need to work on expanding your comfort zone a bit.

One way you could do that with little effort would actually be to give Shirley and friends as much freedom as they want, and see where they go with it. It will probably be ridiculous and almost certainly completely unexpected, and it will take the pressure off you if you don't feel confident to initiate the silliness yourself.

Just set up a regular adventure, give the players plenty of room to go crazy, and watch in wonder as the situation spirals into magnificent chaos.

BootStrapTommy
2015-08-25, 04:33 PM
http://i.crackedcdn.com/phpimages/article/4/0/4/327404.gif?v=1

Drakeburn
2015-08-25, 04:41 PM
(Note: I'm basing this off what 12 year old girls I knew in middle school were like - are they still subversive pyromaniacs?)

Well, my sister is one of them as far as I know. I have the feeling the rest of them are going to follow. :smallsigh:

Maybe instead of worrying over how my gaming group would derail my campaign with the most ridiculous antics imaginable, I should instead ask them what kind of D&D game they want. That way, I could know what kind of setting and adventures they want, and that'll give me a better idea of what to expect.

But what kind of humor would be acceptable in a D&D game for twelve - year olds?

Or a better question, what could make a D&D game funny (aside from PC shenanigans)?

goto124
2015-08-25, 08:25 PM
'You wouldn't say "I want to bake a cake but I don't have any eggs; do you have a recipe that uses oranges instead?"'

But... eggless cakes are a thing...

Zale
2015-08-25, 10:35 PM
Generally, whenever someone makes a funny comment that everyone enjoys, make it a thing that's actually happening.

This is how one of my PCs ended up fighting toast in a shop while the others watched and threw coins.

goto124
2015-08-26, 12:06 AM
Did the coins deal damage?

Draconium
2015-08-26, 12:38 AM
From my experience, the players can make or break the mood for the game. The GM is responsible for setting the overall tone, but the players are what ultimately sell it. Don't be afraid to let the players do just about anything. In the end, they'll probably be responsible for the best and funniest moments regardless.

Now, as for what humor would be appropriate for them, just take the humor that they've already done in-game and expound upon it. If that's not enough, you can ask them directly. Different people have different senses of humor. Just because one 12 year old finds something amusing, doesn't mean another will. So take the cues of humor from your players directly.

Also, don't forget - as long as everyone's having fun, the game is a success. :smallwink:

Mutazoia
2015-08-26, 05:19 AM
Or....you could just play a game of TOON....

Draconium
2015-08-26, 10:10 AM
Or....you could just play a game of TOON....

... Drakeburn is requesting advice for setting and theme, not mechanics...

It isn't a matter of mechanics, it is a matter of setting and theme.

He already stated he doesn't want suggestions for new systems, but rather general ideas that can be applied to any system.

Joe the Rat
2015-08-26, 11:20 AM
I've actually found the best way to run a silly game with silly players is to play it fairly straight. You give them a "normal" world, and let them go crazy with it. Maybe you'll want to trim back some grim blackness - but not all of it. They're the stars, it should be their antics which make it fun. This is not to say everything should be sensible and proper. Eccentric NPCs (how's your vocal range?) and unusual creatures and constructs (candy golem?) can add a splash of flavor. One of my favorites is the main villain who didn't entirely think through their plan. They do the bad thing, but are missing step three between "bleaching all the flags white" and "take over the tri-kingdom area," or possibly how "summoning crayola-colored frog-demons" is supposed to help make that flag thing happen.

If you really want to get into an arms race of crazy: Pathfinder goblins. They're like an entire race of 5-year-old boys, which seems to be the arch-nemesis of 12-year-old girls. Annoying Little Brother: The Species.

You've got the essential piece figured out: The Rule of Cool. If it sounds good, or crazy, or ridiculous, try it. Let them roll it out if you think it shouldn't work, but let the Kobold ears-and-nose gimmick work. Except for the one kobold who does a chicken boo and points out you're not a kobold, but everyone ignores. Cartoon Logic (but not necessarily Cartoon Physics) should always be an option.

Play loose. Those rails are more fun when your mine cart is up on two wheels. You may need to do a little rearranging and quantum ogreing if they go in strange directions. Make sure you have a backup plan: If things are totally off the rails, Chandler in a gun-toting gnoll with a bad al capone impersonation to stir up some action while you scramble. Or take a short break to scramble up an idea.

Real consequences. Being light-hearted doesn't mean bad things don't happen. They may fail their mission. They might accidentally destroy the ancient relic/secret map/missing prince/giant neko statue they were supposed to retrieve. They might accidentally (or deliberately!) help finish the ritual to summon a big fat demon who wants to turn everyone into zombies. Give them a chance to come up with a solution. If it's cool enough, it might work. If it's really stupid, but is a solution, give them a 5 minute head start before the guards chase them out of town.

(Note: I'm basing this off what 12 year old girls I knew in middle school were like - are they still subversive pyromaniacs?)Given that Dads & Daughter's group started with a gaggle of girls slaughtering a gang of goblins, then planning to use said dead goblins as their campfire, I'd say that middleschoolish girls are far more violent than you'd expect.

mikeejimbo
2015-08-26, 12:46 PM
Given that Dads & Daughter's group started with a gaggle of girls slaughtering a gang of goblins, then planning to use said dead goblins as their campfire, I'd say that middleschoolish girls are far more violent than you'd expect.

See, wanting to burn things. What'd I tell ya, violent pyromaniacs the lot of em.

Drakeburn
2015-08-26, 03:06 PM
See, wanting to burn things. What'd I tell ya, violent pyromaniacs the lot of em.

I know, right? For the first game of D&D I ran from a sample adventure on the back of the Dungeon Master's Guide, they set out for a kobold bounty. But this came to the point where they actually trapped a kobold by its tail and the next thing I knew, they were actually torturing it. I couldn't but to feel sorry for the little guy.
And this was just my little sister and her friend, "Nyx" (what she named her gnome rogue), back when they were in sixth grade. :smalleek:

But what you just said gives me an idea. We know how scary pyromaniac players are. So how much scarier would a pyromaniac Dungeon Master or Game Master be? :smallamused:

GPuzzle
2015-08-26, 03:45 PM
I'll just drop some quotes that would be my personal reaction to a pyromanic DM:

"I fear no man. But that... thing - it scares me."

"No, I-I-I ain't talkin' about that freak, alright? He's not here, is he? I wanna get this f*cking thing off!"

"One shudders to imagine what cruel thoughts lie behind that mask... What dreams of chronic and sustained cruelty..."

Fri
2015-08-27, 04:05 PM
You know.

This is the first, and maybe last time, where I can legitimately say

"You should play Risus."

And it scares me.

Mutazoia
2015-08-29, 10:28 AM
... Drakeburn is requesting advice for setting and theme, not mechanics...

He already stated he doesn't want suggestions for new systems, but rather general ideas that can be applied to any system.

Ok...so WATCH some Toons....just about anything on Saturday mornings should give you some ideas.

The Fury
2015-08-31, 05:52 AM
Food-related monsters and villains can set a silly theme. Maybe have a campaign villain be a wizard that makes golems out of bread, (breadnaughts?) Naturally, if the PCs find his spellbook it will include the Animate Bread spell.

Nifft
2015-08-31, 08:10 AM
Steal the Stunts mechanics from Exalted.

Normal game: doing something silly or outrageous or fun means a penalty, or you have to make an extra skill check to succeed, if the thing is "unrealistic".

Light-hearted game: doing something silly our outrageous or fun means a bonus.

A mechanical reward for fun ideas -- rather than the standard mechanical punishment -- is really all you need.

Lvl 2 Expert
2015-08-31, 09:39 AM
It sounds like in this case they mostly expect you to be a pretty loose GM. And it sounds like you're already doing a good job at that. Think of it as playing with 20 year old guys who've seen too much action movies. When they jump out of a plane and decide to aim for a tree for their improvised landing, they expect they get a chance to make it, despite it being a pretty silly idea.

The difference between those scenario's is those guys would probably enjoy it if you didn't make it too easy. Give them a chance to die and a big chance to break something, and the landing will be even more awesome. These girls sound like they expect most of their plans to work, or, just as amusing, fail in a funny way. If they for some reason decide to attack the witch with pillows and you decide/roll that it doesn't work, make those pillows block a few spells and fluffily explode all over the place and fall down like snow in the halls of the dark castle. If they then decide they are attacking the queens with snowballs made from the stuffing, why not? The point is writing a fun story, not finding a realistic solution to the problems they face. And you don't even have to provide most of the funny, just allow enough of what they come up with.

Another thing that can be funny in such settings is if you ham it up wherever you can. The evil green skinned witch has kidnapped all the villages children and puppies because she wants to eat them. Muhahahaha! And when she is dealt with the corrupt head of the guard stands in front of the town gate twirling his moustache as he tells them he took all adults to the mines so they can make him rich with gold, GOLD!

And if they think you're being too silly, or too dark, adapt. Be flexible. It might take a good DM to pull it off, but a lot of people interested in DM'ing are good DM's.