PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Making a Ratfolk Dungeon

Blackhawk748
2015-08-25, 05:38 PM
Ok so im running an E6 game and the PCs are about to raid a Ratfolk outpost. They dont know that this is only a small base for the raiders who are taking captives (i havent figured out what for yet). They killed the Bard and the two guard that where outside, but because of good rolls on my part they needed to retreat. So the Sorcerer and 6 other ratfolk aren't going to be there when they return, as the base is compromised. The raiders will have retreated to a better base, one that the tribe has occupied for some months, as such it should be fortified. Now the party isnt really optimized, so i dont want "Tuckers Kobolds" as that would butcher them, heres the Party, they are all level 1 almost level 2:

Lesser Aasimar Paladin: Shield Spec and Shield Ward, hes going for Heavy Armor tank

Elf Ranger: Point Blank Shot, Ranged focused

Old Halfling Wizard: Cold Focus (i believe), he is an Ice Mage, so mostly blasty.

So ya, they have no trapfinding, but they are aware of this, so they will be cautious. That being said i dont want to go trap crazy as that is both lame and hard to believe.

With that being said id like a hand in creating this dungeon for them, i have two mini bosses ready for them, a Druid and a Sorcerer, but im not sure what to make the Chief, as for the regular Ratfolk, i switched their RHD to Monstrous Humanoid, so they are fine. As always any help is appreciated.

FYI Ratfolk are from KoK (Kingdoms of Kalarmar: Dangerous Denizens)

Honest Tiefling
2015-08-25, 07:11 PM
Are you using the Kalamar Ratfolk for more then just stats, or can I assume you are free to do whatever you want with them? Because an idea that amuses me is to have the Ratfolk not bother entrenching themselves anywhere. I don't know their stats, but I assume lots of dexerity and hiding abilities. Why fight when you can just keep running away? And then the players can either keep chasing them down or try to surprise them or out-maneuver them. To add insult to injury, have one of the ratfolk steal something from the party and watch your players steam.

Alternatively, that druid suggests some sort of nature religion, which means hostile animals, natural hazards, and poisons. Poisons are always fun! Heck, perhaps they've found a hostile plant they can use to their advantage to defend their home.

Yeah, I don't know anything about that setting, so apologies if none of this is useful.

Blackhawk748
2015-08-25, 08:02 PM
Are you using the Kalamar Ratfolk for more then just stats, or can I assume you are free to do whatever you want with them? Because an idea that amuses me is to have the Ratfolk not bother entrenching themselves anywhere. I don't know their stats, but I assume lots of dexerity and hiding abilities. Why fight when you can just keep running away? And then the players can either keep chasing them down or try to surprise them or out-maneuver them. To add insult to injury, have one of the ratfolk steal something from the party and watch your players steam.

Alternatively, that druid suggests some sort of nature religion, which means hostile animals, natural hazards, and poisons. Poisons are always fun! Heck, perhaps they've found a hostile plant they can use to their advantage to defend their home.

Yeah, I don't know anything about that setting, so apologies if none of this is useful.

Its ok, they're not in KoK, im just using the Ratfolk stats for a race called Ratkin in another setting.

I like that idea, works well for their Raiding parties, however Ratkin generally make Warrens if they are going to stay for more than a month, so they do need some entrenching.

And theres the entrenching ideas. Im sensing Monstrous Spiders and angry plants in my PCs futures. :smallwink:

Honest Tiefling
2015-08-25, 08:08 PM
So! If I were a ratkin, I would think that my first bet would be to go find some friendly (or bribe-able, not picky here) druids, monsters or other monstrous races to ally with. I think that might make for a nasty surprise if suddenly, lizardfolk or orc mercenaries appeared.

Also, what of feeding dead bodies to something like the Yellow Musk Creeper? I assume ratkin find it abhorrent to eat humans, but waste not want not! It is the druidic way.

Blackhawk748
2015-08-25, 08:19 PM
So! If I were a ratkin, I would think that my first bet would be to go find some friendly (or bribe-able, not picky here) druids, monsters or other monstrous races to ally with. I think that might make for a nasty surprise if suddenly, lizardfolk or orc mercenaries appeared.

Also, what of feeding dead bodies to something like the Yellow Musk Creeper? I assume ratkin find it abhorrent to eat humans, but waste not want not! It is the druidic way.

Ratkin dont care much about what their meat is, just that they get it, though they totally would feed it to a bunch of nasty critters. Also they are Neutral Evil as a rule, caring only for themselves and the propagation of their species.

Some helpful background: Ratkin are the weakest of the Beastkin, a race of savage beast men who destroyed the Empire. Ratkin may be the weakest, but because of this they are the most cunning.

Also Goblins (Orcs count for this too) are Neutral in this setting as they have a loose confederation of tribes in the north. Though Mercs are Mercs.

Thurbane
2015-08-28, 06:30 PM
There's a couple of 3.X races that could serve as variant members of the tribe:

Nezumi (aka Ratlings): Oriental Adventures p.13

http://archive.wizards.com/dnd/images/oa_gallery/Sorcerer.jpg

Ratatosk: Expedition to the Demonweb Pits p.210

http://archive.wizards.com/dnd/images/demonweb_gallery/103926.jpghttp://archive.wizards.com/dnd/images/demonweb_gallery/103893.jpg

Blackhawk748
2015-08-28, 06:55 PM
There's a couple of 3.X races that could serve as variant members of the tribe:

Nezumi (aka Ratlings): Oriental Adventures p.13

http://archive.wizards.com/dnd/images/oa_gallery/Sorcerer.jpg

Ratatosk: Expedition to the Demonweb Pits p.210

http://archive.wizards.com/dnd/images/demonweb_gallery/103926.jpghttp://archive.wizards.com/dnd/images/demonweb_gallery/103893.jpg

I knew of Nezumi, i didnt know of the Ratatosk, may have to look in to them.

Sagetim
2015-08-28, 08:52 PM
Ok so im running an E6 game and the PCs are about to raid a Ratfolk outpost. They dont know that this is only a small base for the raiders who are taking captives (i havent figured out what for yet). They killed the Bard and the two guard that where outside, but because of good rolls on my part they needed to retreat. So the Sorcerer and 6 other ratfolk aren't going to be there when they return, as the base is compromised. The raiders will have retreated to a better base, one that the tribe has occupied for some months, as such it should be fortified. Now the party isnt really optimized, so i dont want "Tuckers Kobolds" as that would butcher them, heres the Party, they are all level 1 almost level 2:

Lesser Aasimar Paladin: Shield Spec and Shield Ward, hes going for Heavy Armor tank

Elf Ranger: Point Blank Shot, Ranged focused

Old Halfling Wizard: Cold Focus (i believe), he is an Ice Mage, so mostly blasty.

So ya, they have no trapfinding, but they are aware of this, so they will be cautious. That being said i dont want to go trap crazy as that is both lame and hard to believe.

With that being said id like a hand in creating this dungeon for them, i have two mini bosses ready for them, a Druid and a Sorcerer, but im not sure what to make the Chief, as for the regular Ratfolk, i switched their RHD to Monstrous Humanoid, so they are fine. As always any help is appreciated.

FYI Ratfolk are from KoK (Kingdoms of Kalarmar: Dangerous Denizens)

Oh, so we're not talking Nezumi from Rokugan...awww...

Well, anyway, they should probably have some basic pit traps at the base, a few outside that lead directly to pungi sticks covered in feces (the smell of which might give them away to those with sensitive noses) and one or two inside the base itself that can be disarmed by finding the switch for them, and rather than pungi stick doom they open into slides that lead to dungeon cells. It's not anything complicated, and if the players are wary (and hire some hirelings to do some 'scouting') they should be fine. Though they may start garnering a reputation for losing hirelings. You know, tradeoffs. The pungi stick traps should have a spot dc of around 19, just low enough that they can find them without trap finding. The pit trap that leads to the dungeon cells would be properly constructed and should have a normal dc (like, 20, 25? something like that I suppose). I doubt the dungeon cells would be too hard for them to break out of (even if they just break the lock on the cell door and start fighting their way out) and it would drive the lesson home that they Should get someone with trapfinding, even if it means hiring a cohort npc rogue.

And no, they don't need leadership to hire a cohort. Leadership just guarantees you a cohort. They could still put the elbow grease in to gather info one down and try to throw money at him until he accepts. Or blackmail I suppose. Whatever works.

If they go with the cells to fighting their way out route, they should probably also be given a chance to catch the boss types by surprise if they're quick enough about their actions (or go stealthy from that point on).

Anyway, that's my two cents. Good luck.