PDA

View Full Version : What can you do while sealthing for example can you use diplomacy?

noob
2015-08-25, 06:01 PM
I did not really understood the limitations of what you can do while moving silently and using discretion for example diplomacy is never said to make any noise nor said to need you to move so can you use diplomacy on people which does not know you are there?
Also is a silent static spell possible to cast while hiding without revealing yourself(for example cast owl wisdom on yourself)
I would like a raw explanation and not a rules as logical explanation.

Venger
2015-08-25, 08:44 PM
I did not really understood the limitations of what you can do while moving silently and using discretion for example diplomacy is never said to make any noise nor said to need you to move so can you use diplomacy on people which does not know you are there?
Also is a silent static spell possible to cast while hiding without revealing yourself(for example cast owl wisdom on yourself)
I would like a raw explanation and not a rules as logical explanation.

Moving quickly makes moving silently more difficult, but not impossible. Wearing armor also hampers you, but does not forbid any particular course of action.

You can do anything you like while moving silently, essentially. I believe you're conflating a couple different concepts.

When you use the skill "move silently" your guy doesn't become completely silent. He just tries to be very quiet. The same way when you use hide you do not become invisible, a canny observer can still hear you with an opposed listen.

However, if you do something else that makes noise, such as cast a non-silent spell, an observer will get a listen check at whatever the DC for that action normally is, because it has nothing to do with your move silently check.

If you cast a silent, stilled spell after having beaten an enemy's listen check and they couldn't see you and lacked arcane sight or similar abilities to sniff out magic in the area, that's correct, they wouldn't be able to detect you by that alone.

noob
2015-08-26, 04:20 AM
So since diplomacy is never said to need to speak nor to make noise nor to need to move I can use diplomacy and not make my opponent aware of my existence with some stealth.
Really cool now I am going to try to make a silent barbarian using diplomacy to make opponents more friendly and when finally he is spotted half of the guards are friendly to him.

Ashtagon
2015-08-26, 05:41 AM
So since diplomacy is never said to need to speak nor to make noise nor to need to move I can use diplomacy and not make my opponent aware of my existence with some stealth.
Really cool now I am going to try to make a silent barbarian using diplomacy to make opponents more friendly and when finally he is spotted half of the guards are friendly to him.

http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/skills/diplomacy.html

Good luck making the target of your Diplomacy check understand you without your speaking. I suppose you could do it using magical telepathy, or you might share an actual sign language in common (basic gesture, covered by the secret messages part of the Bluff skill, isn't sufficient for Diplomacy).

Broken Crown
2015-08-26, 06:02 AM
Diplomacy through subliminal messages! It could work!

Telonius
2015-08-26, 08:02 AM
Sign language is a thing. I suppose you could use Bluff to get a "secret message" across. Something like, ::puts finger to lips, gives puppy dog eyes:: to mean, "Please, please don't let them know I'm here."

Perform: Pantomime, maybe?

BowStreetRunner
2015-08-26, 12:35 PM
I smell a Troll in the forums. :smallamused:

The OP isn't trying to use diplomacy on one target without anybody but the target noticing. He is trying to use diplomacy on the target without the target noticing. Some sort of Jedi mind-trick sort of thing.

PC sneaks up behind the guard and uses diplomacy without the guard noticing. Suddenly the guard feels very friendly toward the PC who he has never seen.

noob
2015-08-26, 01:00 PM
The question was more or less to see if it was something to post in the mordenkainen dysfunctions thread.
And for that it must just be RAW legal.

Berenger
2015-08-26, 01:16 PM
can you use diplomacy on people which does not know you are there?

The answer is easy. Go to a blacksmith. If the blacksmith is a brawny guy that uses a hammer to hit a red-hot piece of metal repeatedly, no, you can't use Diplomacy in the stated fashion. If the blacksmith is a nerdy white-collar worker that sits at a desk and stares a lump of iron into submission, then yes, your proposed course of actions is legit for that campaign.

noob
2015-08-26, 01:25 PM
Clearly the RAW smith is looking into submission the iron ingot while having on another table the masterwork tools that he does not needs to handle for the bonus.

Mehangel
2015-08-26, 01:29 PM
I can see stealth and diplomacy work with Telepathy. I can also see stealth and intimidate work depending on the situation.

Broken Crown
2015-08-26, 02:19 PM
Is the lump of iron in question aware that the blacksmith is staring at it? Or is the blacksmith making a successful Stealth check against the iron's (presumably poor) Spot check?

Ashtagon
2015-08-26, 02:26 PM
Is the lump of iron in question aware that the blacksmith is staring at it? Or is the blacksmith making a successful Stealth check against the iron's (presumably poor) Spot check?

Blacksmiths are known for their high Strength and low Charisma scores. Clearly, this blacksmith is making use of that optional rule from the DMG to use Strength in place of Charisma for an Intimidation check.

BowStreetRunner
2015-08-26, 02:37 PM
Next thing you know, the OP will want to make stealthy Profession checks too.

Berenger
2015-08-26, 02:45 PM
Suddenly, silent kettle-drumming ninjas everywhere.

Enran
2015-08-26, 02:46 PM
Next thing you know, the OP will want to make stealthy Profession checks too.
"Time to advertise my wines..."
"Where the hell did this bottle of wine come from!? I... I feel compelled to try it! No! NOOOO... Oh hey, this actually tastes good. Better go buy more."

noob
2015-08-26, 02:47 PM
Well now I have all the elements: RAW is inaccurate about skills(you know I always knew that no GM would allow you to use diplomacy onto people which does not knows you are here nor allow a diplomacy check without doing noise or using movements or using telepathy for transmitting information making the guard know you are there and the task of this thread was not trolling it was just a RAW question to see if there is a dysfunction)
Another Dysfunction with profession checks is that they do not say that you can not do them alone in your dead magic demiplane while being the last sentient being and without a boat for your profession sailor(and do it stealthy too)
Professions are infinitely vague and never tells any true information on what you truly do when you throw your profession dice.
In fact the whole section about skills is dysfunctional because of the absolute lack of requirements apart from the point in the skills and some actions.

Broken Crown
2015-08-26, 02:55 PM
That could certainly help with Intimidate. A generous DM might even let it apply to Craft.

Re: The OP:

According to the SRD, you can immediately attempt to Hide again (at a penalty) after making a Ranged Attack. Skill checks, such as Diplomacy, are Miscellaneous Actions rather than Ranged Attacks. Since only Ranged Attacks and Move Actions are explicitly allowed, it seems reasonable to conclude that other types of actions are not. They are not, however, specifically forbidden, so there is some room for interpretation.