PDA

View Full Version : Nezumi: Ratling WIP

DarkBunny91
2015-08-25, 06:25 PM
Trying to design a ratling race for a campaign setting I'm trying to design. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?430857-Dichotomy-Divided-WIP)

Looking for thoughts, design ideas, mechanical and flavor abilities, etc. Below is how it currently stands and any input is encouraged, thanks in advance.

Nezumi PC race

-Attributes: +1 Dex, +1 Int
-Size: Small
-Move speed: 30' overland
-Sight: Darkvision 60'
-Proficiency: Stealth
-Proficiency: Artisans Tools (Tinker Tools)
-Advantage on scent based Perception checks and on Acrobatics checks made to escape bindings or squeeze through narrow spaces.
-Cowardly Rat: You have advantage on deception checks made to convince a creature that you are not a threat. Additionally, you have disadvantage on all intimidation checks.
-Festering Vermin: You have advantage on all saves against disease and resistance to poison.
-Sunlight sensitivity: You have disadvantage on attack rolls and Wisdom (Perception) checks that rely on sight when you, the target of your attack, or whatever you are trying to perceive is in direct sunlight.
-languages: Common, Swarm Speak

BootStrapTommy
2015-08-25, 06:39 PM
If it can be agreed that it is already not too powerful, replace tinker tool proficiency with Tinker (see Rock Gnome). It's tinker tools +.

eleazzaar
2015-08-25, 10:16 PM
I'd get rid of sunlight sensitivity. It doesn't seem very rat like, and isn't necessary for balance.

From a design perspective I think the 5e flavor is better captured by unique abilities rather than extra skills and lots of advantage.

DarkBunny91
2015-08-25, 10:23 PM
I'd get rid of sunlight sensitivity. It doesn't seem very rat like, and isn't necessary for balance.

From a design perspective I think the 5e flavor is better captured by unique abilities rather than extra skills and lots of advantage.

So the sunlight sensitivity is actually a result of the campaign setting, these are an entirely subterranean race, most never seeing the sun in their entire lives.
Do you have a suggestion for a flavorful ability for the ratlings? They were originally going to have the Pack Tactics ability like the Kobolds, but my buddy and I agreed that it would be over powered with some of the other abilities, and borderline broken on a rogue.

BootStrapTommy
2015-08-26, 03:58 PM
The Nezumi live on the "Dark World" and underground to boot. Hence the sunlight sensitivity. As for abilities? Hence Tinker. It's not just proficiency with Tinker tools, it is the ability to make a basic multifunctional dohicky with the tinker tools, fitting with their "master juryriggers" flavor.