PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next [Monk] Elemental Path Variants (WiP)

UXLZ
2015-08-25, 08:00 PM
Essentially single-element variants of the regular Way of Four elements, with re-flavoring and fairly minor modifications to existing abilities that suit the concept. The regular path feels quite... Lackluster, in comparison to to Shadow and OH, especially if you're not going for an Avatar master-of-four and wish to be more particular.

I'm trying to go with more of a focus on some neat flavor ideas I had rather than balance, but if anything looks overpowered or vice versa please tell me.
Currently working on the first one, all the others haven't even been started yet.
Before each one's "crunch" I've put a few sentences describing how I imagine the physical movement and attacks of the various users of the styles, and it likely won't be reflective of what the path actually does in regards to its abilities.

This one would probably flavor fairly well as an Assassin Monk for those that think Shadow Monks are 3edgy or too reliant on lighting conditions.

Angular movements that take advantage of blind spots and quick jabs to vital points. This style emphasis lethality and precision.

-----3rd level-----

Empty Slot (Another minor effect, or nothing if the subclass starts to look overloaded.)

Lesser Elemental Attunement: You can use your action to briefly control elemental forces nearby, causing one of the following effects of your choice.

- Create a harmless sensory effect related to air that may last up to a minute, such as a calm breeze.
- Cause mist that can fit in a 2-foot cube to reshape itself into a crude form you designate for two minutes.

At 11th level, this becomes Greater Elemental Attunement which is as above but the power of the sensory effect is far greater, though still harmless, such as wind strong enough to visibly sway trees.

Sickle Wind Scythes: With a blurred flurry or a single sweeping motion, you can create innumerable blades of slicing air.
As an action, you can spend 2 Ki Points and choose a creature within 30 feet of you. That creature must make a Dexterity saving throw. On a failed save, the creature takes 3d10 slashing damage, plus an extra 1d10 slashing damage for each additional Ki point you spend, and you can halve the creature's speed for their next turn or impose disadvantage on strength checks until the end of your next turn.
The range of this ability may be extended up to 60 feet, but the creature targeted has advantage on its saving throw.

-----6th level-----

Cutting Touch: You are capable of extending Ki from any number of fingertips or your entire hand a short distance, forming sharp dagger-like extensions.
You may deal either Piercing or Slashing damage with your unarmed attacks, instead of Bludgeoning.

Air's Boon: Deflect Missiles is improved to reduce damage by 1d10+2xDEX+Monk Level, and its counterattack component no longer costs a Ki Point to use.

-----11th level-----

Sky Dancing: You can spend 3 Ki Points to cast Fly on yourself, except the flying speed you gain is equal to 40 + your Unarmored Movement speed bonus.

Eye of the Storm:

-----17th level-----

Grim Butterfly's Waltz:

Imagined Fighting Style: Calm movement and soft taps with open palms, damaging opponents through either burning, or Ki-vibrations for fire-immune enemies. This style emphasizes serenity and energy conservation.

WiP

Deliberate movement and bone-crunching strikes to the center of the target's mass. This style emphasizes stability and power.

WiP

Acrobatic (jumping/crouching/sliding etc.) movement and kicks or punches to joints. This style emphasizes flexibility and freedom of movement.

WiP