PDA

View Full Version : Rebuilding my old Shadowcaster character from 3.5

Ichneumon
2015-08-26, 01:35 AM
So, I started playing Dungeons and Dragons with the 3.5 edition and one of my first and favorite characters I ever played was a gnome bard, who multiclassed to Shadowcaster (from the Tome of Magic supplement) and then to the Prestige Class ‘Child of Night’ (from that same supplement).

I decided I wanted to remake the character in 5e. Since neither the shadowcaster nor that specific prestige class is available in 5e, I think the best approach is to make a character that is similar in concept and flavor. I think I got quite far, but I’d love to have some advice and hear your thoughts.

The character started out as your traditional and archetypical Gnome Bard, somewhat of an arcane trickster, but then as he started multiclassing to Shadowcaster (basically a kind of sorcerer with shadow related abilities) he started to focus less on the bard abilities. The Prestige Class “Child of Night” was a class that allowed him to ‘become’ more like shadows, gain certain immunities, become better at hiding, no longer needing to eat etc.

In the end the character was more a dark sorcerer / shadow assassin than a real bard, so I think removing the bard class levels and instead only taking the Entertainer background, would be the way to go.

Starting levels should be in warlock, I think. With the warlock’s Pact of the Blade, he can draw his weapon out of thin air (or “out of the shadows”), which isn’t an ability he had in the old edition, but it certainly fits the shadow flavor. Taking the Archfey patron for spells such as greater invisibility and misty escape seems good. Furthermore, taking spells such as Darkness. I can reflavor Eldritch Blast as being a blast of pure shadow, similar to some of the spells the shadowcaster class had. And for invocations I'll take One with Shadows and Devil’s Sight.

I am not sure if multiclassing would be a good idea. The shadow monk has some abilities that might work well with the warlock abilities and the immunities to poison the monk gets would fit the immunities the character had as a Child of Night, but I can also see rogue (assassin) being a good option, fitting with the Blade Pact abilities.

Madfellow
2015-08-26, 09:38 PM
I am not sure if multiclassing would be a good idea. The shadow monk has some abilities that might work well with the warlock abilities and the immunities to poison the monk gets would fit the immunities the character had as a Child of Night, but I can also see rogue (assassin) being a good option, fitting with the Blade Pact abilities.

If it were me, I would stick with straight warlock. The unfortunate thing about the warlock class is that it doesn't play nicely with others. It does offer some sweet toys by itself though. Good luck with your character, and welcome to 5th. :smallsmile: