PDA

View Full Version : Force Resistance

Yogibear41
2015-08-26, 03:11 PM
Is there a way to gain Force Resistance, or Immunity to Force Damage?

Xervous
2015-08-26, 05:13 PM
At this time I am unaware of any options besides being a force dragon. Eh, there might be another made-of-force creature out there that is also immune.

Cruiser1
2015-08-26, 05:57 PM
Is there a way to gain Force Resistance, or Immunity to Force Damage?
Cast Forceward (SpC) for complete immunity. It negates your own force effects too, so as long as you don't cast force spells like Magic Missile or Wings of Flurry, it's a beneficial buff. As is often the case, most things in D&D can be accomplished with magic. :smallwink:

Jowgen
2015-08-26, 06:13 PM
The Argent Savant PrC from Complete Arcane gets "Ablate Force" at 4th level, which is about as close as one can get.

Sagetim
2015-08-26, 08:23 PM
I consider Force a type of Energy, so the Truenamer's 5th level utterance that grants Immunity to your choice of type of energy should be able to grant you 5 rounds of immunity. That's assuming they don't just use it on themselves and let you die to a book full of an arbitrarily large number of explosive runes.

Crake
2015-08-26, 08:26 PM
Being a half tartarian/amethyst/force dragon gets you force immunity. Taking draconic heritage (tartarian/amethyst/force) and draconic resistance gets you force resistance equal to 3 times the number of draconic feats you have.

torrasque666
2015-08-26, 08:55 PM
Being a half tartarian/amethyst/force dragon gets you force immunity. This is patently false. The Special Quality gained for being those half-dragons is None, Immunity to Poison, and None, as noted in the list beginning on page 70 in Races of the Dragon.

Werephilosopher
2015-08-26, 09:01 PM
If third-party stuff is open, Path of Magic has the Force Weaver prc, which gets total immunity to force as the capstone. Not just damage, but also walls of force etc.

Being a half tartarian/amethyst/force dragon gets you force immunity. Taking draconic heritage (tartarian/amethyst/force) and draconic resistance gets you force resistance equal to 3 times the number of draconic feats you have.

Pretty sure those half-dragons have no immunity to force. Half-amethysts are immune to poison, the other two get nothing.

Hm, swordsage'd.

Crake
2015-08-26, 09:25 PM
This is patently false. The Special Quality gained for being those half-dragons is None, Immunity to Poison, and None, as noted in the list beginning on page 70 in Races of the Dragon.

Oh, huh, i always just used the table on page 103, assuming that was the case, but yeah, you're right. My bad. I'll probably houserule that in my games though, since I don't see why they shouldn't get immunity to force, it's not like there's all that much force damage out there.

Sagetim
2015-08-26, 09:32 PM
Oh, huh, i always just used the table on page 103, assuming that was the case, but yeah, you're right. My bad. I'll probably houserule that in my games though, since I don't see why they shouldn't get immunity to force, it's not like there's all that much force damage out there.

Because the force damage that Does exist is generally the 'oh ****' button for players to use in case of direst emergencies. Granted, not a problem if the monster they are fighting has openings that they can take advantage of, but if the monster is effectively immune to the main arsenal of the party already, then being immune to force too would be a kick to the groin.

On the player side, on the other hand...well, it's not really a problem. There are plenty of ways to kill players and most of them don't rely on force damage. As most players I have seen don't invest in things like a necklace of adaptation or similar abilities, killing players by spacing them is a pretty solid option.

mabriss lethe
2015-08-26, 09:54 PM
An Elan's Resilience ability will also negate force damage (alongside of every other type of damage in the game)

Thurbane
2015-08-26, 10:50 PM
Not exactly immunity, but a Spellsink Scarab can be helpful (for a limited number of times/day).