PDA

View Full Version : Optimization List of needed immunities, and how to get them?

bean illus
2015-08-26, 07:33 PM
Is there a list yet of needed immunities and ways to get them? The immunities could come from any source (class, spell, item, etc).

I know that some folks speak of a need for immunity to Fear effects, and of course there is Enchantment, disease, Divination..

Disease
Divination
Enchantment
Illusion
Possession
Spell resistance

There are more....does such a list exist? Or should we make one?:smallcool:

bean illus
2015-08-26, 07:37 PM
Reserved....Just in case this turns into a real list.,:smallbiggrin:

alanek2002
2015-08-26, 07:44 PM
Sorry, You've been ninja'd....
kinda.

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?187851-3-5-Lists-of-Necessary-Magic-Items

That covers the magical item side of what you are asking about.

http://www.minmaxboards.com/index.php?topic=1412.0

And this covers a lot more than what you are asking, but includes it as well.

Know(Nothing)
2015-08-26, 07:44 PM
The Anti-Mage Checklist (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?363253-Anti-Mage-Checklist) has a section on immunities you could start with.

elonin
2015-08-26, 07:48 PM
Your lack of specific details isn't helpful for finding or making a list. A cursory search came up with this http://www.minmaxboards.com/index.php?PHPSESSID=td9vtipnc1kqeiqcg33vvc1a71&topic=1412.0 There may be better lists.

2015-08-26, 07:53 PM
Yeah, this isn't the first time this idea has come up. That said, here's some stuff off the top of my head, if you don't want to go crawling through threads and handbooks:

The "Undead" creature type gives a slew of immunities, and can be gained easily through the Necropolitan template without losing your sentience. Regardless of what method you acquire the Undead type by, it has decent thematic and mechanical synergy with the Vecna-Blooded template, which grants a sort-of immunity to divinations (IIRC).

Those two templates together can be achieved by a low-mid level (or higher) wizard build, which is one of the more powerful classes they combine well with. The only things on the basic list you had in the OP that such a character wouldn't have automatically are the general Spell Resistance, and immunity to Enchantment/Illusion spells that aren't Mind-Affecting.

At least, I think these two template give all that. I might be wrong, but they're both really good templates regardless. And I'm sure there's a slew of options in those threads/handbooks that could complement them nicely, covering what they don't.

Jowgen
2015-08-26, 08:31 PM
As others have said, this isn't really a new idea, but I do think there is considerable merit in making the kind of list you speak of here. The list of stuff is woefully incomplete in regards to equipment. The List of nessecary magic items covers the important stuff rather well, but isn't really dedicated to/broad on immunities.The anti-mage list is a brilliant place to start and covers just about all of the stuff the magic item list doesn't, but doesn't actually provide sources for the needed immunities.

So yeah, as a biiiiiiiig fan of nice and neat lists compiling scattered info, I am all for this being a thing.

It's really just a matter of a) making a list of everything one should be immune to (probably sorted according to how important/niche the immunity is, or how easy it is to get, or at what level it is really needed), and b) then filling in good item/feat/etc. sources for those immunities.

martixy
2015-08-26, 11:23 PM
Here's one bit that those lists always miss, but was important for me some time these days, so I researched it - what is essentially immunity to True Seeing:
1. There is a spell called Cloak of Khyber in some Eberron book, forgot which off the top of my head.
2. There is the item based on that spell in Sharn - City of Towers called Mask on Misplaced Aura, 77K, so expensive, but you get what you pay for.

Xervous
2015-08-27, 09:02 AM
Here's one bit that those lists always miss, but was important for me some time these days, so I researched it - what is essentially immunity to True Seeing:
1. There is a spell called Cloak of Khyber in some Eberron book, forgot which off the top of my head.
2. There is the item based on that spell in Sharn - City of Towers called Mask on Misplaced Aura, 77K, so expensive, but you get what you pay for.

EDIT: I remember seeing somewhere that Mind Blank blocks divination effects... was that just misdirecting paraphrasing?

Hmm, apparently so...