PDA

View Full Version : question regarding warmage 1 / Rainbow servant X

animewatcha
2015-08-26, 09:47 PM
I have read in a couple of places that a warmage 1 can enter into rainbow servant at ECL 2 with precocious apprentice and versatile spell caster. Can someone please explain how this works? IF needed, assume a CHA of 20.

Venger
2015-08-26, 10:23 PM
here (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=5213.0;wap2) is a simple enough breakdown of what you need to do to enter at 2.

Thurbane
2015-08-26, 10:46 PM
I have a question about Rainbow Warsnake - I may be missing something obvious, but is there any reason Warmage is preferred as the base class, rather than, say, Beguiler or Dread Necro, both of whom are generally regarded as superior set list casters than Warmage?

Is it just because Warmage existed before these other two?

Keld Denar
2015-08-26, 11:04 PM
Probably because Beguiler and DN actually have class features that promote their niche that would actually be missed by PrCing out nearly completely as would happen with Rainbow Servant. Warmage really doesn't lose anything.

animewatcha
2015-08-26, 11:27 PM
So if I am understanding this right..

Precocious apprentice provides 2nd-level slot. Warmage gains knowledge of all warmage spells when access new spell level. You get bonus spell slot by ability score. You use versatile spellcaster to use 'both slots' to be able to cast 3rd level spells and gain access to rainbow servant?

Troacctid
2015-08-26, 11:41 PM
You don't use Precocious Apprentice (it has rules problems). You use some way of heightening your 1st level spells by 2 levels. For example, Versatile Spellcaster + Heighten Spell + Improved Sigil (Krau).

Crake
2015-08-27, 01:33 AM
You don't use Precocious Apprentice (it has rules problems). You use some way of heightening your 1st level spells by 2 levels. For example, Versatile Spellcaster + Heighten Spell + Improved Sigil (Krau).

You can do it with just improved sigil (krau) and snowcasting, though as an illumian you don't get a bonus feat at level 1, so it does rely on your DM allowing flaws. If you're just a human, you can do it with precocious and snowcasting, as long as your DM allows, or with a flaw, versatile, heighten and snowcasting, but again, with 3 feats, you need at least 1 flaw.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2015-08-27, 04:56 PM
If your DM goes by the RAI of Precocious Apprentice, a Human with any two of Versatile Spellcaster, Snowcasting, and Sanctum Spell can do it. Spend two 1st level slots to cast a 2nd level spell that counts as one level higher (3rd) with Versatile Spellcaster and one of those two, or cast a 1st level cold spell that counts as two levels higher (3rd) in your sanctum.

Crake
2015-08-27, 08:27 PM
If your DM goes by the RAI of Precocious Apprentice, a Human with any two of Versatile Spellcaster, Snowcasting, and Sanctum Spell can do it. Spend two 1st level slots to cast a 2nd level spell that counts as one level higher (3rd) with Versatile Spellcaster and one of those two, or cast a 1st level cold spell that counts as two levels higher (3rd) in your sanctum.

I knew I was forgetting something, sanctum spell!. Human Warmage with sanctum and snowcasting alone can cast 3rd level spells in his sanctum with snow as an additional material component to cover the requirement, no flaws necessary.