PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Making a Duskblade

PoeticDwarf
2015-08-27, 08:59 AM
I've played D&D 5e, and sometimes 4e, but the people I play D&D with and me decided playing 3.5 once could be fun.
The duskblade sounds really cool, so I decided to play one, I now only have the race and stats (32 point buy), and I'm not even sure about it. Can someone help me with some tricks for a duskblade, maybe a good feat or a stat I can dump more.

Now I have a Darfellan (not bad stats and the natural attack is nice) with the following stats:

STR: 18 (16)
DEX: 12 (14)
CON: 14 (14)
INT: 14 (14)
WIS: 10 (10)
CHA: 10 (10)

HerbertWest
2015-08-27, 09:20 AM
In my experience, DuskBlade is a good class to pick up a few of the early levels for, and then pick up something that benefits from its ability to channel spells through its weapons. A good class to do this with is Ur-Priest from Complete Divine. Depending on the flavor you're going for with the character, there are multiple dips you can take to get there faster, or you can even pick up Ur-Priest from a pure Duskblade base.

Hiro Quester
2015-08-27, 10:25 AM
A lot of good advice is in Dictum Mortuum's duskblade Handbook
http://dictummortuum.blogspot.ca/2011/08/duskblade-handbook.html

ComaVision
2015-08-27, 10:30 AM
It wouldn't hurt you at all to drop Cha to 8 and put the points elsewhere. Any other advice I could give you is already in the handbook linked. Personally, I think a Duskblade 13/Chameleon 7 would be a fun build but I don't know how high level you're playing to or what your intended "flavour" is.

Inevitability
2015-08-27, 02:15 PM
It wouldn't hurt you at all to drop Cha to 8 and put the points elsewhere. Any other advice I could give you is already in the handbook linked. Personally, I think a Duskblade 13/Chameleon 7 would be a fun build but I don't know how high level you're playing to or what your intended "flavour" is.

Note that Chameleon requires either Human or Doppelganger as race, which is incompatible with your current race. Well, unless you manage to get the Human Heritage feat approved.

Troacctid
2015-08-27, 02:42 PM
Consider the Arcane Strike feat as a way to basically channel two spells at once. If you have a Spell Storing weapon, you can also channel an additional spell for even more burst damage.

Knowledge Devotion is a useful feat, since you have good access to Knowledge skills. Not only do you benefit a lot from the extra accuracy, you also get to double up on the damage bonus, because it applies to both your melee damage and your spell damage.

Natural attacks tend to be of limited use for a Duskblade, since you will typically be channeling spells as a standard action rather than making full attacks, so you won't be able to make any secondary natural attacks until 13th level, for the most part.

Inevitability
2015-08-28, 10:26 AM
Consider the Arcane Strike feat as a way to basically channel two spells at once. If you have a Spell Storing weapon, you can also channel an additional spell for even more burst damage.

Perhaps note that Arcane Strike can't be taken until level 9 on a straight duskblade.

heavyfuel
2015-08-28, 10:53 AM
Perhaps note that Arcane Strike can't be taken until level 9 on a straight duskblade.

Which happens to be the same level you get access to "Extra Spell: Wraithstrike" (if your DM allows that), which is probably better than AS, since it allows you to Power Attack to your heart's content.

ComaVision
2015-08-28, 11:01 AM
Which happens to be the same level you get access to "Extra Spell: Wraithstrike" (if your DM allows that), which is probably better than AS, since it allows you to Power Attack to your heart's content.

I suppose you could get one of them at 6th if you wanted to use two feats on Versatile Spellcaster and Heighten Spell. Depending on your starting level, that might actually be worth it.

JohnDaBarr
2015-08-28, 11:29 AM
How to make a Duskblade, a short guide:

Race: Any that doesn't penalize Str, Con or Int. When in doubt choose Human, feats are always good.
Weapon of choice: Any that has reach.
Feats: Power Attack, Arcane Strike and Knowledge Devotion. Also anything that compliment weapons with reach is also good (Improve Trip etc.).
Multiclassing: Do it after lvl 13.

After lvl 13 get Whirlwind enchantment on your reach weapon and hit everything around you with Vampiric Touch, then proceed to laugh.

Dusk Eclipse
2015-08-28, 11:42 AM
You forgot to add a Bloodstone Enchantment on your weapon to auto-empower a Vampiric Touch spell.

JohnDaBarr
2015-08-28, 11:43 AM
You forgot to add a Bloodstone Enchantment on your weapon to auto-empower a Vampiric Touch spell.

Yes I did, my sincere apologies.

bean illus
2015-08-28, 02:03 PM
???

Human Fighter1/ Monk(passive way?)1 would get you 3 bonus feats fir a tripper build to AoO with your reach.

???