PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Looking for an Undead creature that fits the bill

GreatDane
2015-08-27, 06:14 PM
Hello, all! For my upcoming session, I'm in need of an Undead monster in the CR 8-12 range that can burrow, tunnel, earth glide, or otherwise pop up from underground. Does anyone know of a creature that fits the bill?

Malimar
2015-08-27, 06:18 PM
My first thought is Greater Shadow.

My second thought is Huge, Greater, or Elder Earth Necromental (Libris Mortis).

Rama
2015-08-27, 07:22 PM
A huge Voidwraith (Libris Mortis also) might work for you.

Ger. Bessa
2015-08-27, 07:50 PM
Advance (LM) or spellstitch (CAr) any undead to give it the ability as a spell-like.

Libris Mortis has something called Entombed / Entomber / Gravedigger (don't remember, AFB) that draws its targets underground to burrow them alive. Looks like a standard zombie otherwise. Could be a good base if you don't want an uncorporal or elemental undead.

Many templates turn creatures into undeads (Necromentals is one specific for elementals). Transform something with the deplacement mode with a template that keeps it.

Malimar
2015-08-27, 08:11 PM
A search of my monster list for undead within CR8-12 with burrow speeds turns up also Entombed from Frostburn and Crawling Apocalypse from Sandstorm.

Frakbox
2015-08-27, 10:54 PM
A search of my monster list for undead within CR8-12 with burrow speeds turns up also Entombed from Frostburn and Crawling Apocalypse from Sandstorm.

This sounds frightening. A whole lot of nope.

Seto
2015-08-28, 03:38 AM
You could advance the Defacer (MM4) by giving it some more HD. It makes for a very good hit-and-run encounter.

GreatDane
2015-08-28, 09:59 AM
Libris Mortis has something called Entombed / Entomber / Gravedigger (don't remember, AFB) that draws its targets underground to burrow them alive. Looks like a standard zombie otherwise. Could be a good base if you don't want an uncorporal or elemental undead.
A few advanced entombers are perfect. Thanks for your help, everyone! I'll check back into this thread in a few days to let you know how the encounter went.

Silva Stormrage
2015-08-28, 01:11 PM
You could advance the Defacer (MM4) by giving it some more HD. It makes for a very good hit-and-run encounter.

Seconding the defacer, add some HD or the evolved undead template to it (Or both!) to make it the right CR.

Geddy2112
2015-08-28, 02:45 PM
I know you already found a monster; but any incorporeal undead(ghosts) would work, since they don't have bodies and can move through solid objects(or move along in the ground if they are on the surface).

A geist, witchfire, bhuta or yuki-onna are my personal favorites for the CR.

Let us know how it went with the entombers!