PDA

View Full Version : Which Pantheon is The Dark One a part of?

Forum Explorer
2015-08-27, 10:53 PM
Pretty much the title. Does anyone know? I'm assuming he didn't vote one way or the other on this issue since his High Priest is kinda busy messing with the Gates in the first place. But for other Godmoots, which pantheon would he vote in?

SaintRidley
2015-08-27, 10:59 PM
The Dark One is a pantheon of one, completely unaffiliated and not invited to things like godsmoots.

Jaxzan Proditor
2015-08-27, 11:35 PM
I don't think he's part of any of the major pantheons. Most of the other gods don't seem to like him.

Porthos
2015-08-28, 12:00 AM
As far as I can tell, the Pantheons aren't much more than Social Clubs on Steroids. You can be invited into a Social Club, but it's hard to force your way into one. If there is ever a World 3.0, and if the Dark One had a sufficient lever, then maybe he'd force his way into one.

Or maybe he'd join with other minor powers and form something akin to the Non-Aligned Movement and force the others to deal with them on some level lest Snarl jr gets born.

But right now? Right right now? Well, I tend to think the whole situation with the Gates is a sign that the Dark One ISN'T being included in the Social Clubs on Steroids.

Forum Explorer
2015-08-28, 01:21 AM
I was/am under the impression that the Dark One's back up plan in the case of reality being destroyed by the Snarl was to demand a better situation for goblinoids in the new reality formed. If he's a pantheon of one, doesn't that mean he'd just be ignored? :smallconfused:

Porthos
2015-08-28, 03:02 AM
I was/am under the impression that the Dark One's back up plan in the case of reality being destroyed by the Snarl was to demand a better situation for goblinoids in the new reality formed. If he's a pantheon of one, doesn't that mean he'd just be ignored? :smallconfused:

Well, partially. Start of Darkness goes into the complete workings of The Plan.

But even outside of The Plan, the Dark One's presence at the creation of a mooted World 3.0 is a pretty powerful bargining chip. He may not be powerful enough to demand that goblinoids reign supreme. But he might be powerful enough to pitch a fit and interfere with the creation of said World 3.0.

And we all saw think we know what happened when there were major disagreements between the gods at a world's creation. :smallwink:

Douglas
2015-08-28, 03:06 AM
He does have some friends, or at least sympathies, among the other gods - the ones that told him about the Snarl, and possibly more. If that's not enough and if he's willing to accept the potential consequences, even a single god could threaten to induce the creation of a new Snarl. Faced with that threat, the other gods might see making some minor concessions as the best way out, and the Dark One's stated goals do seem to me like granting them would be pretty minor if the gods are already in the situation of making a new world.

Chronos
2015-08-28, 08:24 AM
He's not a part of any pantheon, but he's still entitled to vote with one of them. It's the same situation with the elven gods: They're not part of the Western Pantheon, but they still get to vote with them in Moots.

anjxed
2015-08-28, 09:03 AM
I was thinking that Redcloak would swoop in as a minor diety and vote no provided that goblins will be treated better. Or Xykon just kills all opposition clerics hehe.

kivzirrum
2015-08-28, 09:05 AM
Gonna have to add my voice to the chorus of those saying that he is his own pantheon. He appears to maybe have allies, but he's not part of any of the three major pantheons (nor the elven pantheon, obviously).

Kantaki
2015-08-28, 09:14 AM
He's not a part of any pantheon, but he's still entitled to vote with one of them. It's the same situation with the elven gods: They're not part of the Western Pantheon, but they still get to vote with them in Moots.

But the elven gods are part of the Western Pantheon for formal purposes such as the Godsmoot. They were integrated into it at some point. I would assume that they had a powerbase large enough to be invited and were willing to follow the rules.
The Dark One on the other hand is followed by a bunch of XP-fodder and his Agenda explicitly opposes the established gods. Why should they be allow him to join their club?

DeliaP
2015-08-28, 10:06 AM
I believe it's been established, by Word of Giant, that the elves were originally worshippers of the Western pantheon, and when some elves ascended to godhood, they were treated as adding to the Western pantheon.

The goblins probably didn't worship any gods before the Dark One, as the gods treated them as nothing but xp fodder.... So there's no obvious precedent.....