PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Unchained monk sorceror

Shadowscale
2015-08-28, 12:11 AM
I was wondering if a prc or build exists that allows for a decent cross between a draconic sorceror and the unchained monk? I'm looking for a monk with ki powers, combat abilities and all who is able to successfully use touch spells, things like mafe armor and buffs upon themself.

3.5 I believe had a prc for an arcane monk, I was curious if parhfinder had anything similar and if or if not how to build it.

Sir Chuckles
2015-08-28, 12:58 AM
I believe a Magus with Pummel Style could do some semi-serious shenanigans in a "Muscle Wizard casts Fist" scenario.

If you're specifically looking for the Ki Powers plus your desired magic, I believe you will simply have to bite the bullet and multiclass. Prestige Classes in Pathfinder for a melee gish would likely boil down to Eldritch Knight or bust, regardless of whether it's a sword, axe, or fist.

Shadowscale
2015-08-28, 01:17 AM
I believe a Magus with Pummel Style could do some semi-serious shenanigans in a "Muscle Wizard casts Fist" scenario.

If you're specifically looking for the Ki Powers plus your desired magic, I believe you will simply have to bite the bullet and multiclass. Prestige Classes in Pathfinder for a melee gish would likely boil down to Eldritch Knight or bust, regardless of whether it's a sword, axe, or fist.

You think k could pull off the multi class with unchain monk's full BAB and sorceror giving claws and such to augment?

grarrrg
2015-08-28, 02:15 AM

^ This ^
There are almost zero "monk" PrC's.
Of the ones that do exist, there is Awesome Blow Monk (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/prestige-classes/other-paizo/a-b/brother-of-the-seal) and Paladin/Monk (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/prestige-classes/other-paizo/c-d/champion-of-the-enlightened), neither of which will help you in any way.

And as far as PrC's that advance bloodline, you are pretty much looking at Dragon Disciple, which overall isn't a bad choice for a Gish, but it does nothing (specifically) for your Monk side.

Firest Kathon
2015-08-28, 02:57 AM
You can mix a sorcerer with VMC Monk (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/character-advancement#TOC-Monk), but you will not get the Ki pool until level 11.

Agahnim
2015-08-28, 03:14 AM
I had the exact same question as you, OP, and I'm very satisfied with the answer I found.
I wanted to play Krillin from Dragon Ball : good martial artist + a huge bag of ki tricks.
The solution is to play a psychic warrior. There have been various attempts at mixing the PsyWar with the monk, both in 3.5 and in PF, under the name of "tashalatora" (a feat in 3.5, an archetype in PF). But if your GM allows it, like mine did, I recommend that you take a look at this homebrew (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?270919-Tashalatora-The-Inevitable-Conclusion-3-5-Monk-fix-567896).

It basically takes a monk chassis, keeps some of the class features (unarmed damage, AC bonus) and gives you manifesting ability as a PsyWar. Most of the other class features (extra speed, evasion, ki strike, stunning fist, etc) are now psionic powers, so you can pick the ones you want to keep and forget the rest. You can also select most PsyWar powers, and you can even entirely new powers, such as "ki blast" (works exactly like magic missile). Regarding your specific request, you can pick inertial armor, which works exactly like mage armor.

Oh gawd, this homebrew is awesome.:smallbiggrin:
Edit : forgot to mention that you also get a few bonus feats, like the original monk, but from a wider AND better selection than the monk !

Shadowscale
2015-08-28, 03:18 AM
I had the exact same question as you, OP, and I'm very satisfied with the answer I found.
I wanted to play Krillin from Dragon Ball : good martial artist + a huge bag of ki tricks.
The solution is to play a psychic warrior. There have been various attempts at mixing the PsyWar with the monk, both in 3.5 and in PF, under the name of "tashalatora" (a feat in 3.5, an archetype in PF). But if your GM allows it, like mine did, I recommend that you take a look at this homebrew (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?270919-Tashalatora-The-Inevitable-Conclusion-3-5-Monk-fix-567896). It basically takes a monk chassis, keeps some of the class features (unarmed damage, AC bonus) and gives you manifesting ability as a PsyWar. Most of the other class features (extra speed, evasion, ki strike, stunning fist, etc) are now psionic powers, so you can pick the ones you want to keep and forget the rest.

Thank you so much for all of this, I tend to only use official Pazio material though.

Agahnim
2015-08-28, 03:22 AM
Thank you so much for all of this, I tend to only use official Pazio material though.
Too bad. I think the PF PsyWar (with the tashalatora archetype) is from DSP... Still, it's more likely to be allowed than homebrew, so ask your DM !

Shadowscale
2015-08-28, 03:31 AM
Too bad. I think the PF PsyWar (with the tashalatora archetype) is from DSP... Still, it's more likely to be allowed than homebrew, so ask your DM !

I will, and thanks again I really do apes I appreciate it.

Psyren
2015-08-28, 06:45 AM
I recommend Sacred Fist Warpriest and using swift action buffs on yourself. Instead of mage armor, you can use buffs like Magic Vestment instead. See if your GM will ignore the nerf to their flurry, though they hit plenty hard even with that.

Kurald Galain
2015-08-28, 07:07 AM

I agree. For example, you get to self-buff in the same turn as making a full attack.

Warpriest also does that, but gets the cleric spell list, whereas Magus gets a good subset from the the wizard's list.