PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Physical Suspension

Tahlspar Ka'nes
2015-08-28, 08:30 AM
Firstly... I have tried searches to ensure that this wasn't a "repeated" topic, but didn't find anything. If this post has been asked and answered, please make mention of it, and I will have this closed.

I have noticed in the Cleric Quintet books, that Danica Maupoissant is able to slow her breathing and heart-rate to the point that she appears as dead, even to a vampire.

After some checking, I have established that this is possible, via a clerical spell.... but Danica is no cleric.

I have tried searching the internet, and D&D 3.5 books (since they appear to be what Salvatore uses), but I have not yet found reliable information regarding this.

Does anyone have any substantive information regarding this?

Trasilor
2015-08-28, 02:25 PM
Firstly... I have tried searches to ensure that this wasn't a "repeated" topic, but didn't find anything. If this post has been asked and answered, please make mention of it, and I will have this closed.

I have noticed in the Cleric Quintet books, that Danica Maupoissant is able to slow her breathing and heart-rate to the point that she appears as dead, even to a vampire.

After some checking, I have established that this is possible, via a clerical spell.... but Danica is no cleric.

I have tried searching the internet, and D&D 3.5 books (since they appear to be what Salvatore uses), but I have not yet found reliable information regarding this.

Does anyone have any substantive information regarding this?

Check the original publication date on the Cleric Quintet. The original books came out in second edition. Danica was a 2e monk which was a form of a cleric - with abilities stemming from the writer's imagination rather than books.

Tahlspar Ka'nes
2015-08-29, 04:30 AM
Thanks for that, I hadn't realised that it was a 2nd Ed reference.

Inevitability
2015-08-29, 04:52 AM
There's a rogue ACF able to do the same in 3.5. It's from Examplars of Evil because for some reason appearing to be dead is evil I guess.

Darth Ultron
2015-08-29, 10:32 AM
This was an ability of a 2E monk:

At level 6, he can appear dead, lowering his pulse and body temperature. This state can be maintained for twenty minutes per level. The monk is unaware of his surroundings while in this state, and so must declare the duration for which he will maintain it when he enters that state (i.e., he can't wake himself when someone arrives).