PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder PF - Robots - What to do with 10 Collector Robots?

unseenmage
2015-08-28, 09:19 AM
We are playing through the Iron Gods adventure paths (http://paizo.com/products/btpy98lf?Pathfinder-Adventure-Path-Iron-Gods-Players-Guide) (no spoilers please!) and my character has come into possession of 8 basic Collector Robots (http://www.archivesofnethys.com/MonsterDisplay.aspx?ItemName=Collector%20Robot), 1 Aquatic Collector Robot, and 1 Extermination Collector Robot. So far we've slain some stoned out cultists by dropping them from a lethal height and then we fought a ghost against whom the robots were completely useless.

Turns out I can reprogram them and even if I pass control of one of them off to someone else the white access card in my possession makes my orders trump anyone else's.
I have several questions as I'm still just learning PF. My Alchemist just gained flight so that aspect of the 'bots is mitigated somewhat.

- How worried should I be about sending these things out on missions without my character there to back them up (excluding DM preferences of course)? For example, there's reputedly a necromancer about and I've considered just having all 8 Collector 'bots go fetch them.

- How nasty is the Extermination Collector Robot's Arc Rifle (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/equipment---final/weapons/technological-weapons#TOC-Arc-Rifle)? Especially as it has limitless ammo?

- Are these things as crazy unbalancing as they seem to be for one character to command? We're likely losing 2 members of the playgroup and maybe gaining one back so I can see how the DM could benefit from our numbers being boosted by some helpful robots. But it still seems like a lot of useful robot actions per round. (The remaining player wants nothing to do with the hassle of robot minions, I asked.)
Edit: Level 7, apologies. We play every other week and seem to be gaining one level per session on average.

- What would you do with so many robots? The Aquatic Collector Robot is spending most of its' time strapped to the side of my mount. A Carrying Capacity boosting trait plus Muleback Cords plus Ant Haul means the mount can definitely handle carrying a heavy robot or two (or two hundred! :smallcool:)

- Suggestions for names for these critters? Have considered naming them based on pop culture Robots. Anybody know a good list of robot names?

noob
2015-08-28, 09:40 AM
" - Suggestions for names for these critters? Have considered naming them based on pop culture Robots. Anybody know a good list of robot names? "
They are sentient and rather smart and wise so you could ask them their names and them refer to them by their name(even if it is 2R1DA66E32AB2 because it is in hexadecimal) because it is not kind to decide that you will speak with someone who already have a name by using another name.

" - How worried should I be about sending these things out on missions without my character there to back them up (excluding DM preferences of course)? For example, there's reputedly a necromancer about and I've considered just having all 8 Collector 'bots go fetch them. "
I would be intensely worried because even if they have great initiative(in the meaning of having good ideas) the GM is not going to simulate and will instead say X day later that they succeeded or failed and the loss while if you go with them it will be simulated by the gm and if you are rather good you will manage most of the time to avoid losses.

" - Are these things as crazy unbalancing as they seem to be for one character to command? We're likely losing 2 members of the playgroup and maybe gaining one back so I can see how the DM could benefit from our numbers being boosted by some helpful robots. But it still seems like a lot of useful robot actions per round. (The remaining player wants nothing to do with the hassle of robot minions, I asked.) "
State your level?

"- How nasty is the Extermination Collector Robot's Arc Rifle? Especially as it has limitless ammo?"
It deals some damage and is a touch attack but since it is lightning it is actually not that great and the dpr is not so high. if you are low level it helps else I do not know what you can do with it

unseenmage
2015-08-28, 10:07 AM

State your level?

It deals some damage and is a touch attack but since it is lightning it is actually not that great and the dpr is not so high. if you are low level it helps else I do not know what you can do with it

Level 7, sorry. Added to the OP.

Its' that the thing is firing long range greatsword damage with unlimited ammo that worries me. Seems really awesome. Heck even the lightning is nice since it could likely be mistaken for actual lightning. (Or even divine retribution with the right Cha rolls at the right times. :smallwink:)
I'm a poor judge of whether its attack bonus is high enough to be called accurate though. And I suspect that would be the deciding factor in how long it would take to assassinate the average target via endless greatsword-damage lighting strikes.

noob
2015-08-28, 10:19 AM
They have 17 strength and flight so you might be better off by making them carry heavy spiked balls and letting them drop those spiked balls from the air to crush opponents for 20d6.(8 attacks like that are extremely deadly)
those lightning guns are not going to help so much against a level 7 wizard bbeg.
Also if I was the GM I would clearly rule that they gain XP with the rest of the group and so put a drain on XP gain because they are smart(really smart) and that there is presidencies of robots taking class levels.

unseenmage
2015-09-09, 09:44 AM
This game has continued and the Collector bots have stayed relevant without completely outshining the party.

The Goblin PC even modified a saddle so he could ride one of them.

The DM has been great at running the encounters so that the bots are convenient without being overwhelming.

And yes, sending them 'offscreen' has proven disastrous for them.