PDA

View Full Version : Additional uses for the COMMAND spell

NewbieDMaster
2015-08-28, 09:30 AM
I love the Command spell... It has so many great uses for a first level spell.
While the listed uses are pretty great, the spell also says that you can give any 1 word command, and as long as it doesn't put the target in direct harm, they have to follow it.

Would it work to use something like COMMAND "Amicicide"? Does the target have to understand the command in order to fulfill it?

What are some other fun uses of the COMMAND spell that you guys can think of?

Marcelinari
2015-08-28, 09:42 AM
I would think that yes, the target has to understand the command - but more importantly, 'amicicide' is a noun, I'm fairly sure, and command needs to use verbs.

The real problem with command is the lack of specificity available to one-work commands. You can't order the target with transitive verbs - 'kill' is useless without a 'yourself' or 'your friends', but 'surrender' might make a target drop his weapons and put their hands up.

ImSAMazing
2015-08-28, 09:42 AM
While the listed uses are pretty great, the spell also says that you can give any 1 word command, and as long as it doesn't put the target in direct harm, they have to follow it.

Would it work to use something like COMMAND "Amicicide"? Does the target have to understand the command in order to fulfill it?

"Land" is what our Paladin commanded the Roc flying in the sky.

NNescio
2015-08-28, 09:44 AM

"Amicicide" isn't a command. A single bare noun can only function as a curt statement. (e.g. House. Elephant. Zombies!)

You must use the imperative mood, which must be a verb in the first place to even qualify.

SharkForce
2015-08-28, 09:50 AM
back when rounds were 1 minute, "strip" could be pretty effective against anyone wearing armour.

still might work for a chain shirt or something like that, but 6 seconds isn't long enough to do much as far as removing plate mail or similar is concerned, and might not even do much to leather armour.

Orbis Orboros
2015-08-28, 09:52 AM

Wouldn't "Grovel" do this and more?

NNescio
2015-08-28, 10:01 AM

Wouldn't "Grovel" do this and more?

Both wouldn't work against the Roc, which has Int 3 and understands no languages.

Regardless, as attractive as Grovel is against flying creatures (without hover), it might not work against opponents who understand you language as it can arguably qualify as "directly harmful".

Command: Land will probably fly by most DMs, and it would work on hovering creatures as well. Generally most flying creatures would have enough move (compared to the range of the spell) to be be forced to land, and if they don't, they would be forced to dash to make up the difference.

--
I also find Command: Flee to be very, very useful in triggering multiple opportunity attacks from my allies, as well as forcing enemies to run through save-or-suck terrain effects, especially ones cast by the party druid.

--

JellyPooga
2015-08-28, 10:11 AM
Many Commands you could issue are alternatives to those listed, others might produces a specific effect that has little impact outside of particular circumstances. Here's some that I particularly like;

Sit, Jump, Dance, Roll, Sing, Draw, Sheathe, Sprint, Throw, Spit, Blink, Drink (also; Chug), Eat, Hop, Laugh (also; Snigger, Chuckle, Smirk), Insult, Vomit, Yawn, Spin, Bite, Procrastinate.

Ninja_Prawn
2015-08-28, 10:12 AM
I've never had a chance to use Command, but here are some ideas:

Scream. Could be useful for blowing someone's cover or pretending that you've invented a torture spell.

Drink. For when peer pressure isn't enough! Could also be weaponised with poisons (if the target doesn't know they're there).

Follow. Lead someone into an ambush?

Laugh. If your jokes aren't funny enough on their own.

Edit: aww... Ninja'd. I'll have to think of some more...

NNescio
2015-08-28, 10:21 AM
Ninja'ed, but oh well:

Alternative commands:

"Swim!" if there's a deep-enough source of water at a convenient distance away. If there's something harmful in the water but the target doesn't know it (otherwise it breaks Command), even better.

(Strictly, by RAW, the "directly harmful" clause doesn't depend on the creature or caster's knowledge of what counts as harmful, but interpreting things this way is completely ludicrous.)

"Help!" if there's only one enemy remaining. This might force them into healing or restoring your ally, depending on DM adjudication. Generally, however, "Surrender!" is far more useful in disabling an enemy for a turn.

"Embrace!" if the only target the enemy can reach for a grapple is one of his own allies.

Joe the Rat
2015-08-28, 10:24 AM
VomitAs DM, I would allow "and aim for the halfling" as a free rider on the command.

NNescio
2015-08-28, 10:28 AM
As DM, I would allow "and aim for the halfling" as a free rider on the command.

You mean aim for the kender?

PoeticDwarf
2015-08-28, 10:32 AM
Once a roc attacked us, and the command of our paladin was swim, because we were on a ship on the sea, the roc started to swim and we could attack him in melee.
Other use could be attack/bite when the only target within its reach is an enemy of you.

Joe the Rat
2015-08-28, 10:34 AM
You mean aim for the kender?Nah, that's the default. The add-on is for making obscure references (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0183.html).

NNescio
2015-08-28, 10:37 AM
Once a roc attacked us, and the command of our paladin was swim, because we were on a ship on the sea, the roc started to swim and we could attack him in melee.
Other use could be attack/bite when the only target within its reach is an enemy of you.

Command doesn't work on rocs, as I've said earlier. Explicitly:

...The spell has no effect if the target is undead, if it doesn't understand your language...

Languages —

— — — — — — — —

Nah, that's the default. The add-on is for making obscure references (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0183.html).

Ah, I can't believe I consider myself an OOTS fan but have forgotten that.

Joe the Rat
2015-08-28, 10:44 AM
Cast speak with animals first?

MaxWilson
2015-08-28, 11:15 AM
"Autodefenstrate!"

WickerNipple
2015-08-28, 11:21 AM
My favorite in-game use was 'Masturbate'.

NewbieDMaster
2015-08-28, 11:23 AM
"Autodefenstrate!"
How high-int does the target have to be to understand this one?

Also, I'm pretty sure this will cause "direct harm". lol

NewbieDMaster
2015-08-28, 11:30 AM
My favorite in-game use was 'Masturbate'.

Not as bad as Fellate.

Ninja_Prawn
2015-08-28, 11:31 AM
More ideas (hope I don't get ninja'd again...):

Push. If their finger is hovering over a mysterious button.

Touch. If it's a glyph.

Breathe. If someone is holding their breath... or giving birth.

Kiss. Obviously.

Give. Easier than stealing!

Lick. Gross, but possibly very effective.

Investigate. Motivate lazy scholars? Distract raging barbarians?

Read. Hopefully it's not Explosive Runes...

Dig. With your bare hands if needed.

Lift. Bro. Do you even?

Cry. You were already doing it on the inside, right?

We should make a 101 uses for Command thread!

Talyn
2015-08-28, 11:52 AM
My Paladin used the Command "Awaken" on the thralls of a cultist that were mentally-charm into a trance-like state.

Our DM ruled that it let them make another saving throw to resist the charm. Sadly, the thralls had been picked for their weak-wills in the first place, and none of them actually made their new saves...

But hey, I tried.

NNescio
2015-08-28, 11:56 AM
Cast speak with animals first?

Rocs are monstrosities, not beasts.

Not as bad as Fellate.

Or Autofellate.

--

Hmm... there must be some specific circumstance when you would want to cast this own yourself. Anyone figure out a practical use like this? (I mean, if you are going to prepare Command anyway it doesn't take up a spell known, but commanding yourself can easily waste two of your turns.)

How would it interact with ongoing dominate effects anyway?

KorvinStarmast
2015-08-28, 12:00 PM
More ideas (hope I don't get ninja'd again...):

Push. If their finger is hovering over a mysterious button.

Touch. If it's a glyph.

Breathe. If someone is holding their breath... or giving birth.

Kiss. Obviously.

Give. Easier than stealing!

Lick. Gross, but possibly very effective.

Read. Hopefully it's not Explosive Runes...

Dig. With your bare hands if needed.

Lift. Bro. Do you even?

Cry. You were already doing it on the inside, right?

We should make a 101 uses for Command thread!
We love our ninja prawn. Best on the barby -- wait a sec, cannibalism isn't family friendly.

rollingForInit
2015-08-28, 12:52 PM

I guess you could make someone pay extra attention for a round with that, but wouldn't "investigate" usually imply a fairly extended action? Whereas Command only affects them the next round.

Ninja_Prawn
2015-08-28, 01:02 PM
I guess you could make someone pay extra attention for a round with that, but wouldn't "investigate" usually imply a fairly extended action? Whereas Command only affects them the next round.

I generally rule that in-combat skill checks cost an action. You probably won't learn too much with a 6-second investigation, but maybe you'll be struck with a moment of critical brilliance and make a key deduction.

Edit: the example that was in my head when I wrote that:

Charlatan Cleric (in melee with a raging barbarian): As a free action, I drop my pair of loaded dice on the floor. Then, as an action, I cast Command on the barbarian.
DM: *rolls* He failed. What's the command?
CC: INVESTIGATE
Barbarian: *spends turn looking at dice* "Hey, these dice are loaded! What kind of cleric are you?"
CC: "The kind that just bought my friends six seconds to sneak up behind you."

In the end, it doesn't do any more than the PHB-approved HALT, but it's much more thematic.

Edit 2: Oh, and, can I sig this?

We love our ninja prawn.

NNescio
2015-08-28, 10:12 PM

I rule they take the Search action.

ShadowShock
2017-07-13, 05:02 AM

It seems like an obvious one is "betray"

Vaz
2017-07-13, 05:11 AM
Command "Vogue".

Aett_Thorn
2017-07-13, 07:25 AM
My favorite one so far, that I got to use recently: "Monologue!"

Used against the BBEG, the DM loved it, and so did the rest of the team. Enemy spent his whole turn explaining how feeble we were, and how he was going to crush us all.

Quoxis
2017-07-13, 08:44 AM
A good thread for a non-native english speaker to learn fancy words.

Puh Laden
2017-07-13, 08:56 AM
My favorite for an inquisitor-type is "confess." The only problem I see is that there's wiggle room in there for an innocent creature to confess to a committing a wrong-doing it didn't do, but then isn't that fitting?

sir_argo
2017-07-13, 09:59 AM
Many Commands you could issue are alternatives to those listed, others might produces a specific effect that has little impact outside of particular circumstances. Here's some that I particularly like;

Sit, Jump, Dance, Roll, Sing, Draw, Sheathe, Sprint, Throw, Spit, Blink, Drink (also; Chug), Eat, Hop, Laugh (also; Snigger, Chuckle, Smirk), Insult, Vomit, Yawn, Spin, Bite, Procrastinate.

I want to bring your attention to "Jump" and "Blink" and I'll add my own "Sleep" to this list.

Now imagine you cast one of those three Commands on the enemy's wizard...

scalyfreak
2017-07-13, 07:19 PM
In the PbP I'm currently in, the paladin got tired of the constant evasions and jeering from the two brats our group was miserably failing to interrogate.

The Command explain worked out very well.

Vaz
2017-07-14, 03:53 AM
In the PbP I'm currently in, the paladin got tired of the constant evasions and jeering from the two brats our group was miserably failing to interrogate.

The Command explain worked out very well.

I've found that a flat of the greatsword to the knee helps. And you can save a spell slot.

MrMcBobb
2017-07-14, 04:06 AM
I've found that a flat of the greatsword to the knee helps. And you can save a spell slot.

Why the flat? You can even make a "hop to it" joke if you use the edge.

Unoriginal
2017-07-14, 04:42 AM
You could use "Cast!" on a caster who's busy to do something else (or casting a long spell), "Attack!" when an enemy is playing it defensively or "Defend!" when they're attacking.

Vaz
2017-07-14, 04:42 AM
But then they can't join in with Cha Cha Slide and that's like a fate worse than death. Imagine hearing DJ Casper come on the system, and all your mates get up, only to cry into your mug as you hear him say "Hands on your knees, hands on your knees", or "Right foot 2 stomps *dush dush*... Left foot 2 stomps *dush dush*".

That's... horrific.

bluthunda
2017-07-14, 08:47 AM
Nobody has mentioned Betray I personally would see it as non harmful to them selves.

Aett_Thorn
2017-07-14, 10:33 AM
Nobody has mentioned Betray I personally would see it as non harmful to them selves.

It was mentioned further down on the first page, but it is a good one.

A few other good ones might be:

Perform: Might get them to drop a weapon, and pull out an instrument instead, eating up some of their action the following turn as well

Follow: Especially useful if the Tank is casting it to prevent a mob from wandering off

Distract: Get one enemy to distract his friends (although this might backfire)

Discuss: So just why ARE you doing what you're doing, Mr. Orc?

scalyfreak
2017-07-14, 01:42 PM

Sure, if that's an option. For many reasons, it wasn't, and the spell solved our problem.

Waterdeep Merch
2017-07-14, 01:51 PM
After the rogue abandoned our party and put us in a good bit of danger before skulking back once we were in town, my cleric decided to forgive him- after casting command on him in a crowded marketplace. "S**t."

As the same cleric, I used the vomit trick on one of two bridge trolls. Afterwards, I pointed at the second one and proclaimed "If you don't let us past, I'll make you eat that".

It was a successful intimidation check on both of them.

sir_argo
2017-07-14, 01:56 PM
I'm going to point this out that Command only has V component, no somatic. And what I mean by that is I do not believe that it is possible to add additional information to the command by pointing at something. The spell insinuates that the target of the spell will use the caster as the subject of any command when it says that the command "Approach" would result in the target coming toward the caster. I don't think, however, that you can point to someone else and command, "Follow", and expect the target to follow the person you pointed at. They would follow the caster. The gesture (somatic) is ignored. Many of the suggestions in this thread wouldn't work. You should treat the effect as if the caster stood perfectly still while uttering the command. What does "Attack" mean if the caster is standing perfectly still? The target is going to attack the caster. Now, I think that it is possible to allow gestures as RAI. I can easily see that this makes Command more versatile, more interesting, and everyone being ok with running it that way. Just saying that I don't think it works that way by RAW.

SharkForce
2017-07-14, 02:08 PM
I'm going to point this out that Command only has V component, no somatic. And what I mean by that is I do not believe that it is possible to add additional information to the command by pointing at something. The spell insinuates that the target of the spell will use the caster as the subject of any command when it says that the command "Approach" would result in the target coming toward the caster. I don't think, however, that you can point to someone else and command, "Follow", and expect the target to follow the person you pointed at. They would follow the caster. The gesture (somatic) is ignored. Many of the suggestions in this thread wouldn't work. You should treat the effect as if the caster stood perfectly still while uttering the command. What does "Attack" mean if the caster is standing perfectly still? The target is going to attack the caster. Now, I think that it is possible to allow gestures as RAI. I can easily see that this makes Command more versatile, more interesting, and everyone being ok with running it that way. Just saying that I don't think it works that way by RAW.

on that basis, a command such as "sleep" would need to cause the target to sleep on you, "run" would need to make the target run to you, "dance" would make the target dance with you, etc. there's no reason to presume that the command cannot be given context by non-verbal means. in fact, most commands will be getting context from something other than the individual word spoken already; the creature must be able to understand the language you're using, which is additional context that the word on its own is not providing.

additionally, the verbal component isn't even necessarily the command you give.

sir_argo
2017-07-14, 03:48 PM
on that basis, a command such as "sleep" would need to cause the target to sleep on you, "run" would need to make the target run to you, "dance" would make the target dance with you, etc. there's no reason to presume that the command cannot be given context by non-verbal means. in fact, most commands will be getting context from something other than the individual word spoken already; the creature must be able to understand the language you're using, which is additional context that the word on its own is not providing.

additionally, the verbal component isn't even necessarily the command you give.

I probably wasn't clear. IF the command needs a subject other that the target himself, he would assume the target is the caster. So a command such as "Sleep" would indeed cause the target to drop and at least pretend to be asleep, while the command "Grovel" would cause the target to grovel to the caster. I'm saying you can't point at someone else and get the target to grovel to someone else. But like I said, if you want to interpret that you can point, it probably would make the spell more interesting and allow for a lot more combinations.

Waterdeep Merch
2017-07-14, 04:18 PM
I probably wasn't clear. IF the command needs a subject other that the target himself, he would assume the target is the caster. So a command such as "Sleep" would indeed cause the target to drop and at least pretend to be asleep, while the command "Grovel" would cause the target to grovel to the caster. I'm saying you can't point at someone else and get the target to grovel to someone else. But like I said, if you want to interpret that you can point, it probably would make the spell more interesting and allow for a lot more combinations.
It would actually be more perplexing if you couldn't. You're right in that there isn't a somatic component to the spell. What you're not right about is that it somehow prevents you from gesturing- if anything, it would now allow you to gesture however you like, as those gestures aren't a part of the spell at all. And if the command can be inferred, there's no reason to believe the caster can't create the inference in the same way people actually do with basic communication. It would, again, be more bewildering if they couldn't, as there's nothing in the spell to give specific inferences regarding the target or the caster. It would thus have to be inferred based on the situation.

Dimers
2017-07-14, 07:55 PM
My favorite is "Defecate", but --

Command "Vogue".

-- that is excellent. :smallbiggrin:

NinaWu
2017-07-15, 07:01 AM
Trip/fall
At least then it needs to spend half it's movement getting up again.

mdholm
2017-12-09, 12:47 AM
I would think that yes, the target has to understand the command - but more importantly, 'amicicide' is a noun, I'm fairly sure, and command needs to use verbs.

The real problem with command is the lack of specificity available to one-work commands. You can't order the target with transitive verbs - 'kill' is useless without a 'yourself' or 'your friends', but 'surrender' might make a target drop his weapons and put their hands up.

I certainly allow a word like "kill". If the one casting the spell can point to someone that the target can see, and say "kill", the command is pretty uinambiguous

krugaan
2017-12-09, 02:06 AM
Bloviate! - an extension of monologue

Juggle - additional dex check or drop what your holding

Modern ones :

Twerk - make them die on the inside
Facepalm - blind for one round
Burpee - one level of exhaustion

MeeposFire
2017-12-09, 09:45 PM
An old classic was "die". Granted the target never actually "died" but it would perform as if it had by collapsing on the ground and effectively sleeping for the round. The next round it would get back up and continue on its way but in that one round you could get a lot of attacks in on the target.

Command now has even more potential what with a bard college that can 1/LR hand out commands as a bonus action for an entire encounter.

MadBear
2017-12-09, 10:14 PM
My favorite use was to simply say "forget".

It works great when a guard catches your rogue picking a lock, and you just need him to forget the last few seconds while the rogue puts his tools away.

StorytellerHero
2017-12-09, 10:28 PM
I've always been partial to "Kneel!" because of that cool scene near the end of the Master of the Universe movie when Skeletor hams it up.

samcifer
2017-12-14, 01:29 PM
What about the command "Paralyzed!" Would that make them paralyzed if they fail the save?

Aett_Thorn
2017-12-14, 01:47 PM
What about the command "Paralyzed!" Would that make them paralyzed if they fail the save?

Well, you could use "Paralyze" as a command, but given as an active command, if that enemy had the ability to cast something like Hold Person, I'd probably rule that they use it.

"Freeze", "Halt", or "Transfix" would probably be better commands to use in this sense. Although "Freeze" might also be tricky.

Lord8Ball
2017-12-14, 01:49 PM
Why not command copulate. I have seen this in play when a goblin was riding a warg. It was hilarious for 6 seconds until someone knocked it off and it broke its neck on the ground.

samcifer
2017-12-14, 02:28 PM
What about 'Blind!" would that blind a person on a fail?

Aett_Thorn
2017-12-14, 02:32 PM
What about 'Blind!" would that blind a person on a fail?

Blind isn't a verb in the sense you are using it. As such, it wouldn't be a valid command causing the person to be unable to see. However, if you use that command, they might try to take someone else's eyes out to make them blind.

You are giving them a command of something to do. You are not causing a condition on them. The command that you give might create a situation similar to a condition, though.

You speak a one-word command to a creature you can see within range. The target must succeed on a Wisdom saving throw or follow the command on its next turn. The spell has no effect if the target is undead, if it doesn’t understand your language, or if your command is directly harmful to it.

Some typical commands and their effects follow. You might issue a command other than one described here. If you do so, the DM determines how the target behaves. If the target can’t follow your command, the spell ends.

Approach. The target moves toward you by the shortest and most direct route, ending its turn if it moves within 5 feet of you.

Drop. The target drops whatever it is holding and then ends its turn.

Flee. The target spends its turn moving away from you by the fastest available means.

Grovel. The target falls prone and then ends its turn.

Halt. The target doesn’t move and takes no actions. A flying creature stays aloft, provided that it is able to do so. If it must move to stay aloft, it flies the minimum distance needed to remain in the air.

Take a look at some of those and what it causes the creature to DO. Not become, but DO.

Wolfsbane
2018-01-26, 10:38 AM
Last night one of my players decided to use the Command spell in battle against a group of sailors and mercs attacking them.

Her command was "love."

That was the last thing I expected. I quickly ran through the possibilities and decided rather than go for a simple one-round befriending of the character, it would be physical love. Then I rolled a direction dice to determine the object of this spontaneous affection (I was hoping it would be the caster, to be honest) and it turned out to be the thug behind him. So this guy pounces on his fellow sailor, who is taken by surprise, and for the round they're both grappled.

I went with it, let the dice determine the results, and it was awesome. My hat's off to the most original use of that spell I've ever encountered.

Provo
2018-01-26, 10:52 AM
Laugh. If your jokes aren't funny enough on their own.

I love this one. An egotistical bad guy may use it against the players during a role playing encounter. This will build his character AND give the players a hint of how powerful the bad guy is (due to a high or low save D.C.)

Alternatively, It would be fun as a player to use it against other players when your joke falls flat.

samcifer
2018-01-26, 10:59 AM
Sorry if this has been asked before, but could you use Command to put them to sleep by saying "Sleep!"?

Vogie
2018-01-26, 11:12 AM
Or, from last year's Dark Tower film - Stop Breathing

https://static.comicvine.com/uploads/original/14/147508/6018267-rf+ability+tp+mind+control+%2811%29.gif