PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Unbodied Savage Progression

LoyalPaladin
2015-08-28, 09:47 AM
Good morning, Playgrounders.

One of my players approached me last night and asked me if he could play an Unbodied (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/monsters/unbodied.htm). On the surface, this looks really blatantly over powered. But, my table definitely plays for fun and not to power game. I'm not really worried about him abusing the race at all. But, I am concerned about it not fitting the setting and his +4 LA weighing him down.

That is why I have come to you. Can anyone help me figure out how I could turn this into a slightly watered down version of itself in the form of a four level savage progression? I'd love for him to be able to progressively become less and less human, and he is on board too.

Thank you,
LoyalPaladin

OldTrees1
2015-08-28, 10:05 AM
For any request like this you should also mention some measurement of your table's power level so that we can aim for that.

Unbodied are 1 level/HD Psions that +2hp/HD, +1 BAB/2HD, Better Ref saves for those HD and then have some features(with some LA). I expect most versions that are balanced towards specific tables would have a ECL 4 version have 3RHD and +1LA (losing 1 manifesting level) or 2RHD and +2LA (losing 2 manifesting levels) depending on the features retained and the power level of the table in question.

Edit: Since you said Savage Progression, should we also assume you want to change it from a race into a template class? If so then you could use the Ghost template class as a good starting model(Incorpreality, Hive Mind, Assume Likeness, Telekinesis on separate levels).

LoyalPaladin
2015-08-28, 10:16 AM
For any request like this you should also mention some measurement of your table's power level so that we can aim for that.
Hmmm... Low to Medium power level. We've got a Snowflake Wardancing Bard for primary melee, the "Unbodied" is going to play a factotum, there is a kinetisist, and a Justicar.

Edit: Since you said Savage Progression, should we also assume you want to change it from a race into a template class? If so then you could use the Ghost template class as a good starting model(Incorpreality, Hive Mind, Assume Likeness, Telekinesis on separate levels).
Yes! A template class would be awesome.

OldTrees1
2015-08-28, 11:26 AM
Hmmm... Low to Medium power level. We've got a Snowflake Wardancing Bard for primary melee, the "Unbodied" is going to play a factotum, there is a kinetisist, and a Justicar.

Yes! A template class would be awesome.

Since the Unbodied is going Factotum, I presume they don't mind losing the Psion manifesting?

So potential features are:
+2 Dexterity, +2 Constitution, +4 Intelligence, +4 Wisdom, +4 Charisma(divvied up to balance levels)
Incorporeal + Fly Speed 30ft(good) + Cha Deflection bonus from incorporeal(all tied together)
Assume Likeness
Telekinetic Force
Hive Mind

LevelNew Ability ModifiersSpecials
An/aIncorporeal, Fly 30ft(good)
a+2 Con, +2 ChaAssume Likeness
1+2 Int, +4 WisHive Mind
i+2 Dex, +2 Int, +2 ChaTelekinetic Force

Order the levels as you see fit. Examples: i1sA, A1ai, or a1Ai

Remember, since this is a template class, the PC can multiclass between levels in this template class.