PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Other ways to get Flanking

Barstro
2015-08-28, 11:17 AM
My archer Inquisitor would realize a significant gain in To Hit if party members were flanking targets. However, the fighting styles consist of;
1) Front line with great reach keeping everyone back (this provides my Inquisitor a +1, so I'm not angry, but doesn't allow flanking)
2) Charger
3) New character, but most likely not willing to start running around the battlefield getting into position.

What obscure ways are there to get flanking without actually being on opposite sides of an opponent? I recall that there is a feat or something with animal companion, but none of us have one. My Inquisitor could probably recon into having one, but I'd rather have someone else make him more powerful than constantly show how powerful he is on his own.

Any spells, items, maneuvers, stances, etc. that can grant flanking?

BowStreetRunner
2015-08-28, 11:29 AM
If you are playing an Inquisitor I am going to assume you are using Pathfinder. Note that if you have access to 3.5 material the list of options grows considerably. Here are the PF options I can think of.

Golden Commander Stance (L3 Golden Lion Stance)
Gang Up (Feat)
Juke (Feat - very limited application though)
Press to the Wall (Feat)

Barstro
2015-08-28, 12:37 PM
If you are playing an Inquisitor I am going to assume you are using Pathfinder.

Yes. Thank you for reminding me to put on a banner. And thank you for the suggestions.

Barstro
2015-08-28, 12:43 PM
Golden Commander Stance (L3 Golden Lion Stance)
Gang Up (Feat)
Juke (Feat - very limited application though)
Press to the Wall (Feat)

Golden Commander would certainly work. Not sure anyone can take it.
Gang Up would work if the party reliably had three people in melee on the same target. Haven't seen it yet.
Juke is rather, um, situational.
Press to the Wall sort of works, but the benefits of the Feat would be lost when my character's Snap Shot comes fully online.

I'll look more into Golden Commander. Thanks again.

Psyren
2015-08-28, 07:46 PM
It's expensive, but an Interfering (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic-items/magic-weapons/magic-weapon-special-abilities/interfering) bow (RTT) can threaten squares. You still have to be on the opposite side of them per the flanking rules, but now you can stand up to 30ft. away.

If I recall correctly, you were asking about the Improved Snap Shot nerf. This is a way to get that long range threaten back, but it comes at a price.

NightbringerGGZ
2015-08-28, 11:03 PM
There are a couple of build-specific options from Teamwork Feats.

Coordinated Shot (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/combat-feats/coordinated-shot-combat-teamwork) - You get a +1 ranged attack bonus against a target an ally threatens, +2 if the target is flanked.

Enfilading Fire (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/combat-feats/enfilading-fire-combat-teamwork) - Um... you get a +2 ranged attack bonus against a flanked target. Yes, Paizo wrote two feats to do the same thing. Yes they stack.

Pack Flanking (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/general-feats/pack-flanking-teamwork) - You can "flank" with an animal companion that you're mounted on or is adjacent to you.

Hrugner
2015-08-29, 12:36 AM
If you happen to be two ratfolk standing ontop of eachother (possibly wearing a trenchcoat), then you flank automatically.

You could grab a small sized valet familiar who would have all your teamwork feats and could possibly provide your +1, or a mauler with none of the feats but more hardy. Either way it's flimsy and unreliable.

You could take "threatening illusion metamagic" and apply it to ghost sound to have people treat a square as threatening if they fail their will save. To make this worthwhile you really aught to have a caster do it as the DC is 10+SL+casting modifier. That and you don't have access to any low level figments and probably aren't a gnome.

There aren't too many really good options to be honest with you, aside from making friends with an NPC who likes to mix it up.

Barstro
2015-08-29, 11:21 AM
Yes, Paizo wrote two feats to do the same thing. Yes they stack.
Thus my reason to want my party to flank. :-)

NightbringerGGZ
2015-08-29, 11:37 AM
Thus my reason to want my party to flank. :-)

Well there are ways to have creatures count as flanked via class features. The Mesmerist has a few ways to do that via Tricks, for instance. What would probably be better for your situation though is to just talk with the group.

I had a very similar problem in an old group of mine, and finally just had to sit down with the group after a night of constant near misses to let them know exactly how many hits we would have had as a group had we just been flanking. It was a couple dozen total misses during that session, and the group scraped through the fights having taken ALOT of damage.

There are some simple things you can do with your group. Your Reach Fighter actually does threaten and can flank, but not if the target takes a 5 foot step forward. To fix that issue, give him a pair of Gauntlets with his armor or a Cestus. Even Armor Spikes will do. He never has to attack with them, but just having them lets him threaten.

Ask your charger why he won't flank? I get that he's getting a +2 from charging, but unless he's one-shotting every enemy he should be flanking at least on alternate rounds. He should also be charging something your Fighter is engaged with, as concentrating fire is the most effective tactic.

You didn't let us know what your new player is going to run as, so I can't give much advice there. But for your benefit, having you considered retraining your Inquisition/Domain to get an animal companion?