PDA

View Full Version : Prestidigitation Toilets!

kalos72
2015-08-28, 02:11 PM
Ok THESE are just fun! :P

Prestidigitation Toilets
On Use - Prestidigitation - lv0 Wizard spell@2thx2000gp=4000gpv
Must be “House” Member -50% cost
Cost: 4000gp -50%= 2000gp
Time: 2 days

One for every new house in Neverwinter! Or maybe just public restrooms. :)

icefractal
2015-08-28, 02:19 PM
Why 2nd level? At 1st it would only cost 1/2 x 1 x 2000 x 50% = 500 gp. And in fact, I'd probably discount it a bit more based on only replicating one of Prestidigitation's various functions.

Still expensive for every house though. But ... in an apartment building, if you constructed it right, you could share one of these for eight toilets (have all eight share a corner, have the unit be moderately large and built into that corner, sticking out from the wall so it has LoS to all eight rooms).

kalos72
2015-08-28, 02:22 PM
I felt guilty about the price...but your correct. A more accurate work up would be...

Prestidigitation Toilets
On Use - Prestidigitation - lv.5 Wizard spell@1stx2000gp=1000gpv
Cost: 1000gp -50%= 500gp
Time: 1/2 day

noob
2015-08-28, 02:27 PM
If you have sufficient wealth it works.
It will most of the time be a commodity for the rich.

Troacctid
2015-08-28, 02:31 PM
I wouldn't restrict it to members of the household. You want guests to have access too. Also, better to make it command-activated, as it's slightly cheaper that way.

Isn't there a discount if it's magical architecture that's fixed in place?

noob
2015-08-28, 02:35 PM
"Isn't there a discount if it's magical architecture that's fixed in place? "
You can make a trap and it have cheaper formula allowing to have a cost of rather 1000*spell level*caster level +500 auto-reset for a trap triggering automatically(or 0 if it is manual)

kalos72
2015-08-28, 02:38 PM
I wouldn't restrict it to members of the household. You want guests to have access too. Also, better to make it command-activated, as it's slightly cheaper that way.

Good point there, increase cost/time a bit but very valid concern. Thanks!

Segev
2015-08-28, 02:50 PM
The command-activated price would be 1 (CL) x 0.5 (0th level spell) x 1800gp = 900 gp.

The restriction "member of household only" causes too many problems and would, at most, be a 30% reduction, not a 50% one.

On the up side, flushing could be made to clean: the toilet bowl, the floor around the toilet (in case the guys miss), and the bottom of the user. In addition, it could eliminate odor. And it comes in a variety of colors. No, I mean, you can change it whever you like to match whatever decor or theme you have going on (e.g. if you have seasonal bathroom decorations).

icefractal
2015-08-28, 02:59 PM
Oh, I was assuming that's what the 50% discount was for - being fixed in place. Yeah, you want that one.

But in fact, just using this to clean toilets is inefficient. Prestidigitation has many uses around the house, and you want one item to do them all - ideally automatically.

So you need something like this:
Magic Properties: Prestidigitation (at will), CL 1st => 1000 gp
Intelligent Item: 14/14/10, speech, 120' vision/hearing => +4000 gp
Magic Architecture (not mobile) => 50% => 2500 gp
Note: It's not 100% clear if the Intelligent Item rules can be used this way. If not, any kind of intelligent construct should work.

The form is a small metal sphere with a number of long thin chains stretching out from it. Built into the house, the chains run inside the walls to reach each room, giving the "Magic Butler" LoS to everywhere. Having above average mental abilities, it can do many of the spell's tasks without needing any instructions, and can know who to accept commands from.

Cleans all the rooms!
Cleans your clothes too!
Spice up bland food!
Helps heat or cool the house!
Revitalize your decor with daily color changes!
All this and more, with the Magic Butler!

noob
2015-08-28, 03:02 PM
And then you discover you must pay him because else he will not do its work(intelligent items are not even sightly compelled to do what you want they have free will)

daremetoidareyo
2015-08-28, 03:15 PM
Are you using prestigitation to make the waste taste like eclairs? So you can sell it!

kalos72
2015-08-28, 03:57 PM
Oh, I was assuming that's what the 50% discount was for - being fixed in place. Yeah, you want that one.

But in fact, just using this to clean toilets is inefficient. Prestidigitation has many uses around the house, and you want one item to do them all - ideally automatically.

So you need something like this:
Magic Properties: Prestidigitation (at will), CL 1st => 1000 gp
Intelligent Item: 14/14/10, speech, 120' vision/hearing => +4000 gp
Magic Architecture (not mobile) => 50% => 2500 gp
Note: It's not 100% clear if the Intelligent Item rules can be used this way. If not, any kind of intelligent construct should work.

The form is a small metal sphere with a number of long thin chains stretching out from it. Built into the house, the chains run inside the walls to reach each room, giving the "Magic Butler" LoS to everywhere. Having above average mental abilities, it can do many of the spell's tasks without needing any instructions, and can know who to accept commands from.

Cleans all the rooms!
Cleans your clothes too!
Spice up bland food!
Helps heat or cool the house!
Revitalize your decor with daily color changes!
All this and more, with the Magic Butler!

Love the idea...not sure it works but. :)

sovin_ndore
2015-08-28, 04:00 PM
So, just an aside here, do characters in D&D actually have that sort of bodily function? Even caming in hostile territory, I have never had a 'getting jumped going to the bathroom' encounter. I have also never needed to deal with waste management while in prison or on an isolated airship...

Malimar
2015-08-28, 04:03 PM
So, just an aside here, do characters in D&D actually have that sort of bodily function? Even caming in hostile territory, I have never had a 'getting jumped going to the bathroom' encounter. I have also never needed to deal with waste management while in prison or on an isolated airship...

Relevant comic is relevant (http://www.goblinscomic.org/01202007/).

sovin_ndore
2015-08-28, 04:26 PM
Relevant comic is relevant (http://www.goblinscomic.org/01202007/).

That is exactly where I thought it would go...

Sagetim
2015-08-28, 04:31 PM
This thread simply points out why every citizen needs to be trained in how to cast prestidigitation as a cantrip. And it's not like it's that hard...not for humans at least. It's not like they were using that bonus feat for anything interesting.

sovin_ndore
2015-08-28, 04:38 PM
This thread simply points out why every citizen needs to be trained in how to cast prestidigitation as a cantrip. And it's not like it's that hard...not for humans at least. It's not like they were using that bonus feat for anything interesting.
Yep, your Experts didn't need that Skill Focus anyway!

kalos72
2015-08-28, 04:45 PM
I am all about commoner optimization but I have to HAVE them first. :P

Plus that whole topic is too confusing for me honestly. I had entertained the idea of commoner training for classes or professions but the logistics were to painful.

Ruethgar
2015-08-28, 05:11 PM
For this you want to make it a 5ft Wondrous Architecture Rune Circle based off of a trap for a formula of (500gold*caster level(1)*spell level(0.5)+500)/16=46.88g If the GM rightfully says that the utility is not significantly impeded but the immobility, as per Rune Circle pricing rules, it is still only a 187.5g at the suggested most.

So, 187.g to be able to clean your house. I think I would spend some of my 900 NPC starting gold on that, plus the 500 for a simple house I could probably afford another one, like dancing lights.

Sagetim
2015-08-28, 05:17 PM
Well, in 3.5 (Player's Guide to Faerun) there's a feat that gives a character some cantrips and a caster level of 1. So...no, they didn't need that second skill focus, not when it means they can cast prestidigitation, arcane mark (for their maker's mark), and, I dunno, detect magic. After all, it wouldn't do for my experts to get hoodwinked into buying 'magical' equipment from players who have entirely too much bluff, diplomacy, and intimidate. There are other handy cantrips, like ray of frost. Why ray of frost? For ice.

Why is ice a thing, you might wonder? Well, there's no air conditioning, no ice machines, and unless purified, water tends to have nasty stuff in it. So if you can ray of frost some water that you boiled, you now have a chunk of purified ice that you can use for whatever you're going to use ice for. Bruises, Drinks, dropping down the back of someone's pants. Ice is nice.

I'm sure there's a pathfinder feat for similar, including the normal 'limitless cantrips per day' clause. And in 5th edition I know there's a feat that not only gives you two cantrips, it also gives you a first level spell. And you can pick the caster class it's based on. That's crazy awesome.

noob
2015-08-28, 05:18 PM
"500 for a simple house"
Sorry the simplest of all the houses who have only one room costs 1000 GP

Sagetim
2015-08-28, 05:22 PM
"500 for a simple house"
Sorry the simplest of all the houses who have only one room costs 1000 GP

Which is why you trade with the other professionals by everyone helping to build eachother's houses. The materials cost would only be 333 gold 3 silver and 3 copper. The downside is that if you don't have any ranks of craft (carpentry) you'll probably just be using your skill checks to aid another on the people who do. And it will take a while, since you're building a number of houses to get your own at reduced cost.

TheIronGolem
2015-08-28, 05:23 PM
Yep, your Experts didn't need that Skill Focus anyway!

Compared to the utility offered by Prestidigitation? They really don't.

kalos72
2015-08-28, 05:45 PM
You guys are good at creative use of magic for sure. :)

Ruethgar
2015-08-28, 09:45 PM
An all purpose room from Stronghold Builders Guide is only 500g. Also a fully functional and furnished mobile inn with horses included is 500g as per DMG II and would easily function as a home. So no, the cheapest house is not 1000g.

Edit: Also as to the ray of frost bit. That doesn't work by RAW. But do note that Create Water doesn't specify the state in which it is created in so you could technically create ice with it as well as the various other uses for infinite water. Of course for the purity aspect that you were going for there is of course Purify Food and Drink.

Bullet06320
2015-08-29, 04:01 AM

in one of the novels in the Avatar Trilogy, Shadowdale, Tantras or Waterdeep, I forget which one, there is a scene where the avatar of Bhaal kills someone in the outhouse

Razanir
2015-08-29, 07:09 AM
You guys are good at creative use of magic for sure. :)

There's a reason Prestidigitation is called Minor Wish.

ericgrau
2015-08-29, 12:19 PM
Real mages use disintegrate or plane shift for their toilets. Don't fall in.

Sagetim
2015-08-29, 12:22 PM
Real mages use disintegrate or plane shift for their toilets. Don't fall in.

"Oh, I'm sorry Mr. Royal Efreeti, I didn't know I was crapping into your throne room."

alternatively

"Yes...just one more distintigrate and we can end this dragon...wait, nooooo! I used it to destroy poooooooo..."

ericgrau
2015-08-29, 12:50 PM
"Oh, I'm sorry Mr. Royal Efreeti, I didn't know I was crapping into your throne room."

alternatively

"Yes...just one more distintigrate and we can end this dragon...wait, nooooo! I used it to destroy poooooooo..."

The fact that you cannot precisely control the destination of a plane shift, I consider to be a feature not a bug. A real mage prides himself on pooping on the multiverse.

kalos72
2015-08-30, 07:12 AM
Going with the whole "Magic Butler" thought process here is the new write up:

Neverwinter Magic Butler
On Use - Prestidigitation - lv1/2 Wizard spell@1sthx2000gp=1000gp
Intelligent Item: 14/14/10, speech, 120' vision/hearing=4000gp
Lesser Powers: Bless, Cure Moderate Wounds
Magic Architecture (not mobile) -50% cost
Cost: 5000gp -50%= 2500gp
Time: 3 days

Sagetim
2015-08-30, 03:07 PM
Going with the whole "Magic Butler" thought process here is the new write up:

Neverwinter Magic Butler
On Use - Prestidigitation - lv1/2 Wizard spell@1sthx2000gp=1000gp
Intelligent Item: 14/14/10, speech, 120' vision/hearing=4000gp
Lesser Powers: Bless, Cure Moderate Wounds
Magic Architecture (not mobile) -50% cost
Cost: 5000gp -50%= 2500gp
Time: 3 days

I'm pretty sure each lesser power adds to the cost too, so don't forget those in your calculations. Also, how is it casting cure moderate wounds on anyone? does it have some kind of grabby arm to do so with?

kalos72
2015-08-30, 03:58 PM
Ahh yeah, forgot about the added cost. Thanks.

AS for the cure moderate wounds, does a sword need an arm when it uses its lesser powers? I assume that just part of the "magic" part. :)

But good question...

Vaz
2015-08-30, 05:59 PM

The clapper crapper?

Fouredged Sword
2015-08-31, 06:31 AM
Really, a room that cleans everything inside is beyond useful. Consider you can use it to do laundry. It can clean plates. This is a world without running water, so cleaning clothes requires walking to a well and hauling up several bucketloads of water.

Consider the average American spends maybe $2000 on a washer and dryer set. That is a solid months income for many low skill workers. If you consider the same value for a "cleaning room", you are looking at...

3 gold for the monthly income of a unskilled worker (4 in Faerun). If we can get the cost down to three gold, there is no reason why every single person in a city doesn't have one of these.

Psyren
2015-08-31, 09:02 AM
Ok THESE are just fun! :P

Prestidigitation Toilets
On Use - Prestidigitation - lv0 Wizard spell@2thx2000gp=4000gpv
Cost: 4000gp -50%= 2000gp
Time: 2 days

One for every new house in Neverwinter! Or maybe just public restrooms. :)

You're doing this wrong - Make the toilet a Prestidigitation Trap instead.

Automatic Reset: 500gp * spell level (lets be conservative and say 1) * caster level 1 = 500gp + 40xp
Trigger: Touch (0gp)
Material Components: 0gp
XP Components: 0gp
Time: 1 day

Psyren's Planar Plumbing Agency can beat your estimate by 1000gp (300gp profit for me after XP costs) and have it installed in half the time, plus non-household members can use the toilet too.

Ruethgar
2015-08-31, 10:34 AM
Wondrous Architecture: -50%
Rune Circle: -50%
Trap:
Reset: Automatic +500
Trigger: Touch
Materials: 0g
Experience: 0g
Formula: 500*CL 1*Spell Level 0.5
Sub Total: 750g
Total: 187.5g