PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Neverwinter Turrets - Magic Item Help

kalos72
2015-08-28, 04:52 PM
So I want to take the spell turret idea and make it something more useful for defending the city of Neverwinter.

Even though Magic Missile has low damage, its 5 missiles and 100% hit chance I think made up for that. I thought about Acid Arrow or Energy Missile but thought the hit chance was too important.

Then I thought some sort of distance viewing and true seeing would be smart to have. Perhaps a telepathic link to a gemstone for control or something?

Neverwinter Turrets
Small ornate angel-like statue that is used to provide missile fire.
On Use - Magic Missile - lv1 Wizard spell@10thx2000gp=20000gpv
On Use - True Seeing - lv6 Wizard spell@12thx2000gp=148000gpv
On Use - Eagle Eye - lv2 Druid spell@5thx2000gp=20000gpv
Must be “House” Member -50% cost
Cost: 188000gp -50%= 94000gp
Time: 94 days

Any help is appreciated!

noob
2015-08-28, 04:57 PM
"Even though Magic Missile has low damage, its 5 missiles and 100% hit chance I think made up for that. I thought about Acid Arrow or Energy Missile but thought the hit chance was too important."
The problem is the spell shield just cast it and you are immune to magic missile for one minute per caster level(or you go and grab that brooch who shields against 120 magic missiles)

kalos72
2015-08-28, 05:39 PM
But if your defending the walls of a city, how many base level minions are gonna be able to shield themselves?

Does the math/logic work for this?

I thought about using the Energy Missiles and then giving each type a component. So say for each type of ray, you need the aligned color 10gp gem. Once you remove that gem, it crumbles.

Meaning you can use the same turret for all 4 types of energy but every time you change it there is a cost.

Also, Acid Arrow rocks dmg and range wise but I figured a guaranteed hit is better then higher damage. and the dmg type doesnt really have many common counters.

noob
2015-08-28, 05:53 PM
At the minimum cl acid arrow deals less damage than ray of fire.
Also "94000 gp" is a lot considering that the true sight is not going to help(limited range make that someone at the limit of the true sight who is invisible can bombard your city)
Maybe spend this money on some mobiles defenses(for 210 000 gp you can create a grisgol) because your turrets are not going to help against the wizard flying 500 meters above the city and letting rocks fall on the city while invisible and moving.

kalos72
2015-08-28, 06:10 PM
Thats true, even the Eagle Eye is limited since you still couldn't hit them.

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/acidArrow.htm is what I was looking at for the Acid Arrow. Could be better options...

noob
2015-08-28, 06:17 PM
Since the spotting spells are the majority of the cost maybe you could use powerful blasting spells like Dalamar’s Lightning Lance(deals 26d6 at cl 10 and is level 4 but it is at medium range and it needs an attack throw and fort half for the 10d6 of lighting per spear(3d6 is physical for each spear))

Tvtyrant
2015-08-28, 06:33 PM
Fell drain magic missile turrets will crush low level armies. Shoots 5 1HD creatures a turn and transforms them into wights, killing almost 100 a minute and making a counter army as you do so.

For casters I think antimagic ray would be cool, but the range is abysmal. Maybe if you make a lot of invisible turrets and have them float over the city at a 500ft. height or so, dropping enemy casters that try to snipe the city to the ground.

noob
2015-08-28, 06:44 PM
Well and the wights are now here and they are more dangerous than the level 1 people.

Tvtyrant
2015-08-28, 06:47 PM
Well and the wights are now here and they are more dangerous than the level 1 people.

Yeah but they are closest to the enemies army and have a wall between them and you. Hopefully the enemy will deal with most of them before routing. Also undead are super easy to deal with using clerics, and these ones can't use ranged weapons. Seems like a win-win to me.

noob
2015-08-28, 06:52 PM
Well it is what people think until the negative energy starts overflowing in this plane and create a door between the plane of negative energy and this realm because of the excess of wights and dead.
Dealing with undead might become scary.
Also like I said you might use level 4 attack spells since there is a level 6 spell in all the turrets and so that using up better attacks might work great.

kalos72
2015-08-28, 07:03 PM
Fell drain magic missile turrets will crush low level armies. Shoots 5 1HD creatures a turn and transforms them into wights, killing almost 100 a minute and making a counter army as you do so.

For casters I think antimagic ray would be cool, but the range is abysmal. Maybe if you make a lot of invisible turrets and have them float over the city at a 500ft. height or so, dropping enemy casters that try to snipe the city to the ground.

Love the idea...but as support sorta. Mix in a few of them among regular turrets for extra confusion and chaos but not enough to leave an army standing where the first one was wiped out.

Whats the downside to Acid Arrow, just the chance to miss like I was thinking?

Tvtyrant
2015-08-28, 07:07 PM
Love the idea...but as support sorta. Mix in a few of them among regular turrets for extra confusion and chaos but not enough to leave an army standing where the first one was wiped out.

Whats the downside to Acid Arrow, just the chance to miss like I was thinking?

It just doesn't do that much. For damage there is the orb of X spells, for control there are a ton of options, even making your own guys invisible is probably better in the long term.

kalos72
2015-08-28, 07:56 PM
Orb line is good but the rnage sucks...how about Force Missiles instead?

kalos72
2015-08-29, 06:52 AM
Si spend the night going though SpC and still think Force Missiles is a better baseline dmg spell for these. Add in some others with fell drain magic missile and others with antimagic rays perhaps.

Prismatic Ray is another fun option I think...or the standard fireball even.

Now the question is control. I would like the item tied to a gem that gives someone control/direction of the item. To me that means something somewhat sentient?

A controller could perhaps have several of the control gems and coordinate the attacks of a small group if these things.

Also, like the original spell turret, I want these things to autocast when something comes within range maybe? Placing them outside the wall, anything that comes within 100ft of the wall gets fired on perhaps?

Or I suppose they could be "inactive" and let the controller decide when the turret is online?

kalos72
2015-08-30, 04:01 PM
Updates these to add some utility:

Neverwinter Turrets
Small ornate angel-like statue that is used to provide missile fire. These turrets are telepathically linked to a gemstone that is used to control/direct the devise.

On Use - Force Missile - lv4 Wizard spell@16thx2000gp=128000gp
Intelligent Item: 17/17/10, speech/telepathy, 120' darkvision/hearing=78200gp
Lesser Powers:Deathwatch/Cure Moderate Wounds, Hold Person
Greater Powers: Defend the city of Neverwinter and its allies - Fireball

Magic Architecture (not mobile) -50% cost
Cost: 206200gp -50%= 103100gp
Time: 104 days