PDA

View Full Version : Not really Durkon?

Ashiver
2015-08-28, 06:51 PM
Did Roy realize this isn't really Durkon yet? It's sort of unclear to me, he realizes he was betrayed but does he think Durkon simply changed alignment? Or think that this is some dark reflection of Durkon and that's still his name? I realize he introduced himself as Durkon to the gathered, but I sort of figured that was more out of spite than truth. Perhaps hoping to gain an emotional advantage on Roy or just being malicious to actual Durkon. Does anyone else suspect that Hel actually gave him another name at some point in his creation? Even if not, it would be nice if the gathered or Roy gave him a new name. I really dislike seeing people call him Durkon, I wish Roy had yelled vampire or betrayer or something along those lines instead. Of course if he really doesn't realize this isn't Durkon yet that wouldn't fit, but I was hoping that was his revelation.

Kantaki
2015-08-28, 07:09 PM
Roy has definitely realized that this isn't the Durkon he knew. If he knows that his friend isn't on the driver’s seat is a different question, but it is certainly possible - he did say that Belkar was right.

As for the name, why shouldn’t the vampire use the name Durkon Thundershield? It's not like someone else is using it right now. Since the spirit in control probably has no name he can either use his host’s or make one up. Since there are still people around who know im as Durkon why should he make up a name? It would be a unnecessary effort and could give him away to those that knew Durkon. Changing the name risks giving away his true nature.
And why shouldn’t others call him Durkon if he does so himself?

Enran
2015-08-28, 07:23 PM
Is Roy technically aware that a dark spirit has chained up Durkon's soul and is driving his body around while stealing his memories? No.

But is Roy now convinced that the Durkon before him is, on some level, not the same person he was? Yes.

Even without knowledge of the specifics regarding vampires, Roy understood intellectually that at the very least, Durkon was a different person in the same way a guy who had a Helm of Opposite Alignment forced onto him would be a different person. His heart is only just now catching up to that notion, never mind the fact that it's still not at the level of the truth.

ZZTRaider
2015-08-28, 08:31 PM
As for the name, why shouldn’t the vampire use the name Durkon Thundershield? It's not like someone else is using it right now. Since the spirit in control probably has no name he can either use his host’s or make one up. Since there are still people around who know im as Durkon why should he make up a name?

It may not be making one up. Malack said (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0874.html) "[he] had a different name when [he] was alive -- 200 years ago." With the additional context we've gained since that strip, it's entirely possible that "Malack" is the name of the spirit inhabiting the body of the "ignorant barbarian shaman" that we don't know the name of.

It would be a unnecessary effort and could give him away to those that knew Durkon. Changing the name risks giving away his true nature.

Eh, at this point, I think his true nature has been exposed significantly enough that it doesn't matter much any more. Roy isn't going to care what he calls himself; it's the actions Durkula has taken that matter at the moment. Eventually, Roy likely will find some solace in the knowledge that the being that deceived him is not at all his friend Durkon, though.

As for the rest of the room, based on this strip (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0968.html) where one of the gnome clergy attempted to warn Roy that "[his] friend's soul is not actually in control of his-" body, I think we can make a pretty good assumption that most (if not all) of the high priests in the room know exactly what the truth is. At least, as high priests, I'd hope they've put more ranks into Knowledge Religion than Durkon has.

Deprox
2015-08-28, 09:00 PM
Roy for certainly doesn't know that there's another spirit on Durkon's body (although he DID realize Durkon is not pronouncing things the same way).

However, this is a room full of high level clerics. It's nearly impossible not a single one of them has the knowledge Durkon is not in control of his body, given that a seemingly low-level acolyte knew it (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0968.html). One of them is bound to tell Roy how vampires work. Maybe the High Priest of Thor, since Durkon's name rang a bell.

theasl
2015-08-28, 09:51 PM
Roy for certainly doesn't know that there's another spirit on Durkon's body (although he DID realize Durkon is not pronouncing things the same way).

However, this is a room full of high level clerics. It's nearly impossible not a single one of them has the knowledge Durkon is not in control of his body, given that a seemingly low-level acolyte knew it (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0968.html). One of them is bound to tell Roy how vampires work. Maybe the High Priest of Thor, since Durkon's name rang a bell.

Well (hmm where's that pesky banana when you need it), Rich did say that how vampires function in the OOTS world is extremely rare knowledge. that one low-level acolyte knew it does not mean that all low-level acolytes will know it - and indeed, it seems that that poor guy was the only guy in Tinkertown to know it. However, you're right in that if anyone's going to be able to tell Roy, it's probably going to be someone, if not multiple people, in that room.

Silvrfox
2015-08-28, 10:40 PM
Now is not the time for talking. Now is the time for Belkar to get tingly, and to batter things into submission. :)

Enran
2015-08-28, 10:59 PM
Now is not the time for talking. Now is the time for Belkar to get tingly, and to batter things into submission. :)
Excuse me? My Roy-man is getting some much-deserved spotlight. Belkar's been on a character growth binge for a while now, he can step aside and let Roy do his thing. Actually, forget Belkar, everybody in the party except Roy has been getting their share of development for the past couple hundred strips. It's just his turn. :smalltongue: I imagine we'll continue Durkon's development arc while we're at it.

WowWeird
2015-08-29, 12:53 AM
Excuse me? My Roy-man is getting some much-deserved spotlight. Belkar's been on a character growth binge for a while now...

While I might be misinterpreting the original 'tinglies' quote, I got the impression that Silvrfox was talking about Roy; while I have a really irritating case of source amnesia on this, I'm 99% certain that at some point, Belkar sarcastically claimed that "As much as it gives me the tinglies when [Roy] go[es] all badass on me..."
So when Silvrfox talks about Belkar getting the tinglies, he's referring to Roy bringing the beatdown.
This unnecessarily confusing and time-consuming post about an unfounded assumption towards what another poster intended to say brought to you by... um, I'm gonna say the letter B.
Yeah. Brought to you by the letter 'B'!

Ashiver
2015-08-29, 01:21 PM

Roy is talky man though. He will likely talk throughout the fight. It's too dramatic of a scene for him not to. Speaking of which it's too bad Elan isn't there. I think he would recognize the need for a different name, but then again he would probably choose something like Betrayus Helscaster. :smallsigh:

edit: Actually now that I have thought about it more maybe Elan wouldn't give him a name. The red shirt theory may apply, as long as the vampire spirit has no name he is less powerful, less likely to succeed in doing something important (like ending the world) and more likely to die.