PDA

View Full Version : dnd demographics

True believer
2015-08-28, 07:27 PM
Hello

I would like to know if any source mentions some demographics, concerning the Forgoten Realms, such as total population, average age, average income and percentages of characters (per character lvl ) over the total population,

Ty

Psyren
2015-08-28, 07:55 PM
The DMG web enhancement (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/we/20030719a), has some demographics tables, but these are for core rather than FR and are focused around a sample metropolis I believe.

Palanan
2015-08-28, 08:11 PM
The 3.0 Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting (p. 98) lists a total population of sixty-eight million for the continent of Faerūn. The text refers to "inhabitants," so it's unclear whether this is only humans, or civilized humanoids, or everything from avariels and strongheart halflings to wemics and orogs. The general assumption seems to be that this refers to civilized humanoids, essentially the standard humanoid races and their variants.

For the more detailed demographic information, you might want to look through Chapter 4 of the FRCS, "Life in Faerūn," which at least touches on some of those issues. In the following long chapter on "Geography," each individual region is given a total population with a racial breakdown (e.g. humans 80%, dwarves 12%, half-elves 3%, halflings 3%, half-orcs 2%) and prominent cities or towns are given population values as well.

Overall I have the impression that the FRCS follows the demographics listed in the DMG, although I couldn't say what the differences might be between the 3.0 and 3.5 versions of the latter.

Also note that the population values were apparently much higher in 2E and thinned out during the conversion to 3.0. Presumably it thinned out quite a bit again during all the crashing and bashing of the transition to 4E.

True believer
2015-08-28, 08:30 PM
Any source mentioning class level demographics ? For example how many level 5,10 and 20 characters are among those 86.000.000 ?

noob
2015-08-28, 08:40 PM
This depends of the sizes of the cities(and of the campaigns in the forgotten realms because some gm might see differently) and then there is the outliers like gods which are not written and countless adventurers.

Darth Ultron
2015-08-29, 10:38 AM
In most FR books, the stat block for towns and cities gives that information. It might say 6 Ftr 4, for example. Though the stats don't cover the ''special'' people.

Power of Faerūn has some stuff on this topic too.