PDA

View Full Version : Guessing Is this where Belkar dies?

JonahFalcon
2015-08-28, 08:28 PM
Considering Durkula and Hel are smiling, there's a trap. My guess is that Belkar attacks Durkula, which somehow kills him (a trap?) That allows Roy to finish off Durkula.

Fawkes
2015-08-28, 08:32 PM
For all we know, he's already dead.

As for why Durkon and Hel are smiling - they just enacted their master plan. They're not setting a trap for Roy - Roy's not the target. He's an afterthought.

Sloanzilla
2015-08-30, 11:09 AM
My guess is the combat is going to be resolved for the good guys through some combination of
1. Priest lady's recognizing the Thundershield name giving soultrapped Durkon just enough control to help Roy in some fashion, and
2. Belkar sacrificing himself and just barely nudging himself into the chaotic neutral afterlife in compensation.

Synesthesy
2015-08-30, 01:54 PM
For all we know, he's already dead.

:haley: have you seen the 'X' on his eyes?

Yael
2015-08-31, 03:46 AM
:haley: have you seen the 'X' on his eyes?
:durkon: Aye... he's as dead as a doornail alright.

I do not think that our Sexy Shoeless God of War is going to die that easy. He's going to have a plot realization, or something big that is surely going to influence the outcome in the Roy vs HPoH fight... I just know it!! http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h87/osiris32/banjo-evil-1.png~original

JonahFalcon
2015-09-06, 09:34 PM
May I point out that Protection from Evil item Belkar bought is a Chekhov's Gun waiting to be fired. Roy is distracting Durkula quite a bit...

Lexible
2015-09-06, 10:06 PM
May I point out that Protection from Evil item Belkar bought is a Chekhov's Gun waiting to be fired. Roy is distracting Durkula quite a bit...

Not sure what you are pointing out: Belkar has already used the protection from evil brooch (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0996.html). So, no that's not a Chekov's Gun.

Bulldog Psion
2015-09-06, 10:22 PM

Even if he survives, it's going to be nothing short of miraculous for him to climb up a mile or so of mountain in a minute or two and find his way to this location.

Razade
2015-09-06, 10:30 PM
Even if he survives, it's going to be nothing short of miraculous for him to climb up a mile or so of mountain in a minute or two and find his way to this location.

He's not going to climb. He's going to jump.

Edhelras
2015-09-07, 08:34 AM

The eagles! The eagles are coming!

What urgent plot-critical problem is there that giant eagles, guided by tiny moths, cannot solve?

Breccia
2015-09-07, 12:23 PM

Well to be fair, he's had some time during the Godsmoot role call, vote, etc. But not enough to climb even half a mile. (A standard D&D character climbing does so at 2MPH)

Plus, there's no logical reason to assume he's still alive. There has been no evidence, yet, that his plight was in any way noticed by anyone but himself, and therefore he's taking a fall that would kill anyone except Wile E. Coyote. Yes, yes, 20d6 etc but he's plunging an untold distance onto icy water and/or sharp rocks. That's dead.

And if he has been saved, again, that would have been multiple minutes ago. What would the rest of the Order be waiting on? Yeah, maybe they're iffy on going through the front door, but those are some mighty fine windows up there. Is there a rule about flying outside and shouting "Hey Roy, Durkon threw Belkar off a cliff and he's got the bite marks to prove it, dust him already"?

theNater
2015-09-07, 07:25 PM
Plus, there's no logical reason to assume he's still alive. There has been no evidence, yet, that his plight was in any way noticed by anyone but himself, and therefore he's taking a fall that would kill anyone except Wile E. Coyote. Yes, yes, 20d6 etc but he's plunging an untold distance onto icy water and/or sharp rocks. That's dead.
Belkar himself has pointed out, within this book (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0951.html), that D&D characters can easily be more durable than real people. In a previous book (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0443.html), Roy describes drinking healing potions and hoping for minimal falling damage as a feasible option. Plunging an untold distance is not automatically dead in this universe, especially for high level adventurers.

The characters are not Earth humans. It is a mistake to make assumptions about their physical state based on the limitations of Earth humans.

littlebum2002
2015-09-09, 08:21 AM
There's no way Belkar will die here. As was pointed out in another thread

Sangawaan prophecized that Belkar would save Hinjo's life twice, and he's only saved it once so far

martianmister
2015-09-09, 10:24 AM
There's no way Belkar will die here. As was pointed out in another thread

Sangawaan prophecized that Belkar would save Hinjo's life twice, and he's only saved it once so far

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0455.html

F.Harr
2015-09-09, 06:58 PM
My nickle is on he dies saving the world.