PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Lemmy's Revised Fighter for Pathfinder RPG [W.i.P] [P.E.A.C.H]

Lemmy
2015-08-28, 09:37 PM
Hello, fellow playgrounders, how are you today? Awesome!

The very first full homebrew project I've ever made was a Revised Fighter for 3.X and Pathfinder, shared on these very boards. I enjoyed it, but never gave it much thought... Then, years later, Pathfinder Unchained was announced and it was made clear that there would be no Unchained Fighter. So I decided to roll up my sleeves and do it myself! As such, I revived my old projected and worked hard to to improve it any way I could! And dare I say it... I'm quite proud of the final product. It's not perfect, but it's a huge step up for the class and a lot of fun to play. And I plan to continually improve it based on playtest and feedback.

With no further delays, I present you...

Lemmy's Revised Fighter for Pathfinder RPG (https://docs.google.com/document/d/1gFDqHzPc_X2POHea0ycWVTiA_XtIFbQy68fV264vxcc/edit?usp=sharing).

I hope you like it! :smallsmile:

(I was going to post it here... But the googledoc is just so much easier to edit. :smalltongue:)

nonsi
2015-08-29, 12:58 AM
First of all, great work.
I don' t do PF, but it's still quite impressive.
I like the vast array of options and the fact that it was written with awesomeness in mind. Once I get to my PC back home, I might take the time to reevaluate some of my codex' noncasters' features accordingly.

Some of the prowesses (or advanced options) seem to come too late to matter. Beyond that, I'll take a more detailad dive and comment appropriately when it's more convenient and if others don't beet me to it.

Zireael
2015-08-29, 05:00 AM
This is amazing, I love some of the new feats and features!

Lemmy
2015-08-29, 11:56 AM
First of all, great work.
I don' t do PF, but it's still quite impressive.
I like the vast array of options and the fact that it was written with awesomeness in mind. Once I get to my PC back home, I might take the time to reevaluate some of my codex' noncasters' features accordingly.

Some of the prowesses (or advanced options) seem to come too late to matter. Beyond that, I'll take a more detailed dive and comment appropriately when it's more convenient and if others don't beet me to it.
Thank you, nonsi. I appreciate it.

And if you play 3.5, this homebrew shouldn't be too difficult to convert.

Please, share your thoughts when you have taken a closer look. :smallsmile:

Lemmy
2015-08-29, 12:38 PM
This is amazing, I love some of the new feats and features!
I'm glad you like. Take a look and share your thoughts. I appreciate every feedback you're willing to share. :smallbiggrin:

Lemmy
2017-10-08, 09:46 PM
Finally! A new update!

I balanced a few things... I'm finally happy with the Fist-Fighter and Paragon archetypes. I might make a little more fine-tuning, but I'm quite satisfied already. :smallcool:

(The Warlord is still my favorite, though :smallbiggrin:)

Caelestion
2017-10-09, 06:40 PM
I was always a fan of your Paragon archetype, but I believe I told you that on the Paizo forums. :)

Lemmy
2017-10-09, 08:06 PM
I was always a fan of your Paragon archetype, but I believe I told you that on the Paizo forums. :)
Thank you! I'm glad you like it!

The bad news is that I had to scale down a few things, but the good news is that it's a lot clearer and smoother... Also, I have ideas for at least 4 new Paragon Powers! ;)

Caelestion
2017-10-10, 04:23 AM
There's already too many powers I want to use as it is!

Lemmy
2017-10-10, 11:29 AM
There's already too many powers I want to use as it is!
I guess you're out of luck, then... :smallbiggrin:

In other news, a new archetype was introduced!

Well... re-introduced. I created the Runemaster a long time ago, but I wasn't happy with how it turned out. It was too weak at low/middle levels and suddenly become way too good at 19th~20th level.

Lemmy
2017-10-10, 12:43 PM
Ugh... Now I remember why I removed the Runemaster archetype... Every time I look at it, I see something I forgot to add, fix or clarify.

Lemmy
2017-10-12, 04:22 PM
Yet another revision to the Runemaster... I think it works well now. :smallsmile:

Lemmy
2017-10-17, 12:23 PM
Turns out that the standard range of the Rock Throw ability is 120 ft... :smalleek:. I changed the Paragon's version to 90 ft.

Now I'm thinking about changing Animalistic to include low-light vision and a tail... And Keen Sight to start with darkvision and eventually add See in Darkness. Hmmm... Things to consider...

Lemmy
2022-04-18, 10:48 AM
It's been quite a while since I updated this project...

But yesterday I finally added a new archetype. The Dragoon. A warrior focused on mounted combat... But who can do it even when unmounted.

EDIT: Also fixed a few typos here and there.

ShiningStarling
2022-04-21, 06:05 PM
So I took a look... fighter fixes are somewhat of a fixation of mine, and uh... wow that's a lot of reading material. Full archetypes, feats, and not-feats...

This is impressive. I will confess that I basically cannot read this much rules material at once if it isn't in a book, just a mental failing of mine, but what I see I generally like.

I like that some of the features add the Bravery bonus to other things. I would call it something like 'Heroics' instead, since its no longer just about the fear effects, but that's just a little nothing I thought of.

If you're going to make changes this extensive, I would have gone ahead and made all of the specific weapon feats apply to groups instead, but I can understand why you wouldn't.

My biggest concern here is the same concern I got on a lot of my fighter fixes. You've got a lot of numbers here. A lot of them apply to new things, new abilities, things that aren't just attack rolls, etc. However, there are also a lot of numbers. Not a deal-breaker, by any stretch, tabletop separated from role-play and flavor is basically an extended spreadsheet exercise, but it is a lot to take in all at once, more than most any official book would publish.

Like I said though, I do like it. Probably gonna look at it more later...

Gods dang it you're gonna make me make another fighter fix attempt.

Lemmy
2022-04-23, 11:51 PM
So I took a look... fighter fixes are somewhat of a fixation of mine, and uh... wow that's a lot of reading material. Full archetypes, feats, and not-feats...

This is impressive. I will confess that I basically cannot read this much rules material at once if it isn't in a book, just a mental failing of mine, but what I see I generally like.
Hey, thanks for the interest. I'm glad you like it. This project started extensive and got even more so over the years just because it's so fun to work on. Haha

I like that some of the features add the Bravery bonus to other things. I would call it something like 'Heroics' instead, since its no longer just about the fear effects, but that's just a little nothing I thought of.Yeah, I get what you mean. I kept existing names for class features in order to make it easier to
combine with existing archetypes, if the GM so allows.

If you're going to make changes this extensive, I would have gone ahead and made all of the specific weapon feats apply to groups instead, but I can understand why you wouldn't.
Also a good idea, but changing how feats work is beyond the scope of the project. Other than the homebrew itself, I prefer to assume there are no houserules involved, so it's easier for GMs and players to adapt this to their

My biggest concern here is the same concern I got on a lot of my fighter fixes. You've got a lot of numbers here. A lot of them apply to new things, new abilities, things that aren't just attack rolls, etc. However, there are also a lot of numbers. Not a deal-breaker, by any stretch, tabletop separated from role-play and flavor is basically an extended spreadsheet exercise, but it is a lot to take in all at once, more than most any official book would publish.
That's true. The initial Combat Prowesses were a little too "numbery". Overtime, I shifted focus to options and possibilities, rather than numerical bonuses... That said, sadly, the way 3.5/PF work, most mundane actions and options need to be backed by some relatively strong numbers in order to work properly or even be added to the characters, which is why the Revised Fighter includes class features such as Tactical Movement and Practice Overcomes Talent, among others.

Like I said though, I do like it. Probably gonna look at it more later...

Gods dang it you're gonna make me make another fighter fix attempt.
Thanks. Let me know what you think when you give it a more thorough read. And if you do create a Fighter fix of your own, let me know about it too. I'll gladly check it out.

Cheers!

Miss Disaster
2022-06-26, 03:49 PM
Hey Lemmy. A friend of mine is going to use your Revised Fighter ~ Cad Archetype in a 5th Level adventure we're about to partake in.

That said, I just took a look in your Revised Rogue document .... and WOW .... that's my favorite of your various homebrew Google docs! You really bring a lot of evocative flavor and higher-octane mechanics (Rogue Talents needed that) into the Rogue class, big time.

Just curious, will you be adding/updating that one anytime soon?

Lemmy
2022-06-28, 02:41 AM
Hey Lemmy. A friend of mine is going to use your Revised Fighter ~ Cad Archetype in a 5th Level adventure we're about to partake in.Hey, there!

That makes me happy! I hope it helps you and your friends have more fun! Let me know how that game goes. I always love hearing how other groups enjoy my humble projects. :smallsmile:

That said, I just took a look in your Revised Rogue document .... and WOW .... that's my favorite of your various homebrew Google docs! You really bring a lot of evocative flavor and higher-octane mechanics (Rogue Talents needed that) into the Rogue class, big time.

Just curious, will you be adding/updating that one anytime soon?
Thanks! I'm glad you like it! :smallsmile:

I'm pretty busy these days, but I still update it (and every other homebrew project) whenever I have a good idea for it. In the case of the Revised Rogue, I only added the finished Mage Knave archetype a few weeks ago... Maybe a couple months.

I'm planning to make the Rogue's capstone class feature a special talent you get at 20th level. That way I can give the player a few alternatives, such as the Ninja's capstone ability (which is actually pretty cool). I also want to make an archetype focused on shape-shifting, but that takes a little longer to create, so I don't have any ETA for it to be finished, since, like I said, I'm pretty busy these days.

Miss Disaster
2022-06-29, 10:21 PM
Thanks for the update, amigo! We'll be getting some traction on this mini campaign in about a week. I'll certainly try to get either the Cad player - or me - to update how the archetype plays once it gets some run.

All those capstone shenanigans sound terrific! I'll keep an eagle's eye out for the Rogue thread - and the Google docs - for updates. No worries about the ETA. I hear ya about busy life. I have more side gigs than you can shake a stick at.

Cheers!

Lemmy
2022-07-04, 04:45 PM
Thanks for the update, amigo!
De nada, amiga.
...Well, now I feel like a stereotype. hahaha!

We'll be getting some traction on this mini campaign in about a week. I'll certainly try to get either the Cad player - or me - to update how the archetype plays once it gets some run.
Cool! Thanks! I'm looking forward to it.

BTW, I did make a mini-update to the Cad archetype, because I noticed it wasn't actually able to use some rogue Talents due to not having the Trickery class feature (because that was introduced on a update made to the Revised Rogue after the Cad archetype had been already added)... so I gave the Cad a pseudo-Trick pool just for using the Rogue Talents (although it can't use it in the general ways a true Rogue can, such as getting a bonus to a skill check or making an additional attack).