PDA

View Full Version : Blank D12

TheThan
2015-08-28, 11:15 PM
So I was digging through my Tupperware container full of random polyhedral dice (what, don’t you have one?) a few minutes ago, and I noticed that I have a white D12 that’s completely blank. There’s not a mark on it. Naturally I’ve decided to use it for something. I’ve got plenty of dice to use for barbarian hit dice and great axe damage. What could I possibly use it for? Any suggestions?

(i have a fine tipped permanent pen somewhere to mark it up with.)

Fri
2015-08-28, 11:24 PM
Random zodiac generator for your characters :smalltongue:

darkscizor
2015-08-29, 12:11 AM
D&D class generator-

Barbarian, Bard, Cleric, Druid, Fighter, Monk, Paladin, Ranger, Rogue, Sorcerer, Warlock, and Wizard.

Corey
2015-08-29, 01:05 AM
RPGing with Big Jule.

http://www.amazon.com/review/R1IVE8C95WYKL5

Jay R
2015-08-29, 10:22 AM
The obvious ones are months or signs of the zodiac.

But I recommend that you invent some aspect of your world that you can use it for.

Perhaps there are twelve gods, and you randomly determine which one is interested ion a given situation.

Or there are twelve tribes of orcs, and you roll to determine whether the players are being attacked by the sword-wielding Slashers, the stone-axe-using cave-orcs, the warg-riding mongols, the heavy metal fans of the Iron Golems, etc.

Lvl 2 Expert
2015-08-31, 08:54 AM
Try to get your GM to accept some sort of homebrew "random" spell or something maybe? You use that spell slot, aim at the enemy, and then it could turn into a hefty damaging effect which would usually take a higher level than the random spell itself, or an AoE spell, or even a buff for whoever you aimed it at.

In general, whatever you do with it: the more specific and related to a specific plot or character concept it is the cooler it will be.

Well, to me at least.

Talyn
2015-08-31, 09:48 AM
Well, let's look at combinations of "12" and "fantasy."

Months and zodaical signs have already been mentioned - there are also 12 Alchemical processes (at least according to some alchemic traditions). Maybe they could be used for magic item creation checks?

12 is traditionally the holiest number in a number of religions - and is the traditional number of gods in a D&D pantheon (since the Greeks had 12 Olympian gods). You could mark the die with holy symbols to see which god or goddess is influencing a particular ritual.

There are 12 "core" classes - maybe use the die to roll up random heroic/villainous NPCs?

Spartakus
2015-08-31, 10:58 AM
Or you could just use it for weapon damage. Make it a D12 + 8 or whatever damage your Barbarian does usually.

VoxRationis
2015-08-31, 11:51 AM
"I had the spots taken off [the die] for luck, but I remember where they formerly was."

Hawkstar
2015-08-31, 04:08 PM
Or you could just use it for weapon damage. Make it a D12 + 8 or whatever damage your Barbarian does usually.
That is an awful idea. Those modifiers change too frequently.

It Sat Rap
2015-08-31, 04:40 PM
Use it as an device in a campaign. The players find that obviously magic dice, and it seems to be blank. But they have the option to store up to 6 special magical powers on each side of the dice. However, once a power is stored, it can not be changed and a harmful effect is stored on the opposite site of the dice. They can roll the dice a given number of times per day to give their luck a try.

Mastikator
2015-08-31, 06:40 PM
Write down body parts

TheThan
2015-08-31, 06:47 PM
These are all great ideas. Keep them coming.

Write down body parts

This gave me the idea for a critical hit die. I imagine critical hits causing crippling injuries to locations as defined by the roll of the die.

Freelance GM
2015-08-31, 08:17 PM
A D4 with slanted probability?

Faces 1-5: 1
Faces 6-9: 2
Faces 10-11: 3
Face 12: 4

Or, to go with the popular "crit" idea, you could do...
1-3: Left leg
4-6: Right leg
7-9: Torso
10: Left Arm
11: Right Arm
12: Boom, headshot.

Lvl 2 Expert
2015-09-01, 11:01 AM
Use it as an device in a campaign. The players find that obviously magic dice, and it seems to be blank. But they have the option to store up to 6 special magical powers on each side of the dice. However, once a power is stored, it can not be changed and a harmful effect is stored on the opposite site of the dice. They can roll the dice a given number of times per day to give their luck a try.

This is an awesome idea. Don't just customize it, use it as an item the group can customize.

12 is practically the perfect number of sides for that sort of ideas, 6 might get boring too soon, 20 would make it too much "your favorite thing never happens".

Steampunkette
2015-09-01, 10:49 PM
Draw alchemical or otherwise mystical looking symbols on each face. Write up tables for your games based on those faces. Roll the die publicly and consult the chart for events or just to terrorize your players.

Have players roll it during pivotal moments and then use the arcane symbols to determine what happens, creating the illusion of randomness while you railroad an event to deflect guilt and frustration.

Roll it, yourself, as you play a far realm aligned character and use it to describe your character's actions or irrelevant ticks. Have your character roll the dice to try and divine an answer from your mad patron about what course to tak3.

And then you can assign those symbols to gods and months in other games.

TheThan
2015-09-02, 02:33 PM
My original idea was to use it to generate skills for a home brewed system based off of it. it would look something like this:

fighting
farming
crafting
thievery
animal handling
hunting
fishing
diplomacy
begging
brewing
housekeeping
shop keeping

I would probably use this system for some sort of village game where the PCs are all members of a small community. I'm not sure i want to create a 100% homebrewed system just yet.

JellyPooga
2015-09-03, 07:39 AM
I've got some blank d12's myself. I plan to turn them into interchangeable D4/D6/D12 (D4 in one colour, D6 and D12 in others) that actually roll well. Saves on the number of dice you need to carry around too!