PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Exploding eyeballs!!!

chrisstpeter
2015-08-28, 11:38 PM
Hi guys, need some help here. Tomorrow (Saturday) night I'm having the bad guy cast seething eye bane on the wizard. If he fails the save, his eyes explode. Now, I'm going to give him a blindfold of true darkness BUT, not being able to read means he won't be able to update his spellbook, so he won't be able to progress as a wizard. Is there a way within the rules to heal permanent disfigurement? I would like to give him the option to pursue restoration and stay pure wizard if he wants. Thanks everyone

EDIT: If there's nothing in the rules, I'll homebrew something so that if he wants to remain a wizard he can restore his eyeballs, but I'd really like to use sourcebooks for it if I can. I'm aware of regenerate, but it will be a while before they either have access to that spell themselves, or access to the money to buy it/ someone who can cast it for them.

Crake
2015-08-29, 01:00 AM
Hi guys, need some help here. Tomorrow (Saturday) night I'm having the bad guy cast seething eye bane on the wizard. If he fails the save, his eyes explode. Now, I'm going to give him a blindfold of true darkness BUT, not being able to read means he won't be able to update his spellbook, so he won't be able to progress as a wizard. Is there a way within the rules to heal permanent disfigurement? I would like to give him the option to pursue restoration and stay pure wizard if he wants. Thanks everyone

EDIT: If there's nothing in the rules, I'll homebrew something so that if he wants to remain a wizard he can restore his eyeballs, but I'd really like to use sourcebooks for it if I can. I'm aware of regenerate, but it will be a while before they either have access to that spell themselves, or access to the money to buy it/ someone who can cast it for them.

Does he have a familiar? If so, the familiar can read his spellbook for him according to complete arcane. Additionally, if he has spontaneous divination or a scrying spell prepared/in his spellbook, he can use the scrying spell to read it too. Note that because his eyes are actually gone, remove blindness/deafness does not cure the blindness from this spell, you need a regenerate spell.

Sagetim
2015-08-29, 01:04 AM
He could prepare read magic from memory and cast it. I mean, does Read Magic specify that you need to have working eyes for it to function? >.>

chrisstpeter
2015-08-29, 01:07 AM
Does he have a familiar? If so, the familiar can read his spellbook for him according to complete arcane. Additionally, if he has spontaneous divination or a scrying spell prepared/in his spellbook, he can use the scrying spell to read it too. Note that because his eyes are actually gone, remove blindness/deafness does not cure the blindness from this spell, you need a regenerate spell.

Ahhh, good point. If he has a familiar, he hasn't mentioned him yet... we'll need to bring that up when/if his eyeballs explode :)

Draconium
2015-08-29, 01:12 AM
You know, if there isn't already something like it, you could always make a Braille-esque language for your game. Heck, this wizard may even be able to invent it himself, if he's smart enough.

Crake
2015-08-29, 01:18 AM
You know, if there isn't already something like it, you could always make a Braille-esque language for your game. Heck, this wizard may even be able to invent it himself, if he's smart enough.

Complete arcane actually has a variant spellbook that functions like that, allowing a wizard to read his spellbook while blind, or in pitch black darkness. But I'd assume he'd need time to learn all that, and would need reference to his previous materials somehow, plus OP's problem seems to be the more immediate term.

Regarding curing himself though, the wizard could use planar binding (a 6th level spell) to planar bind a ghaele eladrin, who would be capable of casting regenerate.

Inevitability
2015-08-29, 04:56 AM
Just want to say that Eyebane is one nasty spell. I really need to use it on my players sometimes...

Evolved Shrimp
2015-08-29, 06:16 AM
Is there a way within the rules to heal permanent disfigurement?

Regenerate should do it (PHB p270). It’s a 7th level cleric spell that regrows “severed body members […], broken bones, and ruined organs” in 2d10 rounds (one round if the member still exists and is touched to the wound).

Crake
2015-08-29, 06:46 AM
Just want to say that Eyebane is one nasty spell. I really need to use it on my players sometimes...

best used by undead spellcasters who can avoid the constitution damage component.

Sagetim
2015-08-29, 11:42 AM
Psh, I still contend that you don't need eyes to use Read Magic. :P

elonin
2015-08-29, 06:57 PM
Can't think of any reason you can't use read magic without eyes.

As to the OP what is the duration of the spell? If the spell is instantaneous then regeneration or anything that will heal the eyes (unless the spell specifies otherwise). If the spell has some other duration for the effect something from dispel to break enchantment.

Casting spells without eyes could be tricky. I wouldn't let the familiar read the spell book for memorization but maybe if they shared a sense link.

Crake
2015-08-29, 09:32 PM
Can't think of any reason you can't use read magic without eyes.

Read magic is a personal spell, not a cone like detect magic or something. It gives you the capability to read magic as you would normal text, but not the ability to do so. If you can't read in the first place due to being blind, then having the ability to read magic means nothing, because you know how, but don't have the means to do so.

Unless you think see invisibility, when used on an eyeless person, lets them see all the invisible people even with no eyes?

Sagetim
2015-08-29, 11:29 PM
Read magic is a personal spell, not a cone like detect magic or something. It gives you the capability to read magic as you would normal text, but not the ability to do so. If you can't read in the first place due to being blind, then having the ability to read magic means nothing, because you know how, but don't have the means to do so.

Unless you think see invisibility, when used on an eyeless person, lets them see all the invisible people even with no eyes?

That actually sounds like a really cool potential plot point. Just to screw with players, a man they have to eliminate is actually blind (has blind fight, and someone put a permanent see invisibility on him). And the reason he's lived so long is that people keep trying to sneak up on him while they are invisible, giving him time enough to murder them.

Do imagine what it would be like though, since you don't see anything else...just the invisible person. So furniture, pillars, etc would only be visible if they were being interacted with (or breaking line of sight for) the invisible person.

animewatcha
2015-08-30, 12:13 AM
The blind wizards ( high level High OP etc. is the questgiver who will not see anyone who can see them ( yay for something that is a riddle that isn't a riddle ). The apprentices of said wizard charge for casting invisibility on the party to 'see him'. The blind wizard proceeds to recognize his apprentices 'invisibility magic signature whatever' ( is this possible? ) and 'sees' the party. If party has their own ability to be invisible handy ( minus the appropriate apprentice ) and uses it, the blind one does not 'see' the party until they 'see' him on his terms.

Sagetim
2015-08-30, 12:45 PM
The blind wizards ( high level High OP etc. is the questgiver who will not see anyone who can see them ( yay for something that is a riddle that isn't a riddle ). The apprentices of said wizard charge for casting invisibility on the party to 'see him'. The blind wizard proceeds to recognize his apprentices 'invisibility magic signature whatever' ( is this possible? ) and 'sees' the party. If party has their own ability to be invisible handy ( minus the appropriate apprentice ) and uses it, the blind one does not 'see' the party until they 'see' him on his terms.

Or assumes it's an assassin and casts finger of death on them :D

sovin_ndore
2015-08-31, 11:20 AM
It still does not solve the primary issue with reading your spellbook, but Listening Lorecall is a really potent solution to lack of sight if you have the proper skill ranks.

I would also suggest RPing the 'obtaining a familiar' process if your Wizard has actually not ever chosen to do such a thing.