PDA

View Full Version : A quick question about an incoming Homebrew

Grayfigure
2015-08-28, 11:43 PM
Hey all. Im putting together a Bladesinger for fun and nonprofit, but a question made me decide to get opinions before I posted. I was kitting out an Archetype to fit the Wizard base class, but I wonder if making a Bladesinger out of a class with a full caster's suite might be too much. Just asking for general opinion: Im still wondering if I should shoot for a full class. Thanks, as always.

Toothless
2015-08-29, 01:26 AM
Hey all. Im putting together a Bladesinger for fun and nonprofit, but a question made me decide to get opinions before I posted. I was kitting out an Archetype to fit the Wizard base class, but I wonder if making a Bladesinger out of a class with a full caster's suite might be too much. Just asking for general opinion: Im still wondering if I should shoot for a full class. Thanks, as always.

Homebrews should always add additional content to the game, not replicate things we already have. The mechanics are merely a guide for roleplaying; if it can be replicated easily using the existing core classes and mechanics, it should use those instead. The Eldritch Knight sounds extremely similar to Bladesingers, and could be done just by simple roleplay.

Remember, characters don't necessarily identify themselves as a "Bard" or a "Cleric". Some bards may see themselves as performers or tricksters, clerics may seem themselves as priests or missionaries, and Eldritch Knights may see themselves as Bladesingers.

I think what we have works pretty well already. ^^ The alternate would be to do a spellcaster-heavy version ex. a Wizard archetype with a sidefocus on martial combat, but the College of Valor has that covered already.

Grayfigure
2015-08-29, 08:26 AM
Thanks for the feedback. I went and read up on a bit more on the Eldritch Knight and the College of Valor, and while they do have some very good ideas, both the pacing of the powers and some of the mechanics of the powers themselves don't quite match up with Bladesinging.

The War Magic ability is pretty close to what Bladesingers of old did, however in 5th edition you'd be using your cantrips and spells at Disadvantage anytime you were at melee range. So we start with a feature that receives an immediate weakening when used in a melee environment, where Bladesingers are kitted for. Also is the fact that it comes so late. To try to use the El. Knight would have you without any abilities that actually makes you a Bladesinger until lvl 7. Also, the preeminent ability of Bladesingers is missing: The Bladesong. Add in the aesthetic of too much 'Fight' to the Fighter, and I think it sums up a pretty convincing arguement for a Bladesinger kit. Whether full Class or just an Archetype is, of course, up for debate.

Another thing about El. Knight is, surprisingly, armor. While the Swordmage received training in the heavier armors, the 'Singer was the other side of that: protection through skills and magic. To me, the Swordmage was always the 'Magic Fighter' while the 'Singer was the 'Fighting Wizard'. The Fighter base class is too heavily armored and access to too much in the way of melee skills. Also....Bladesong..... :smallbiggrin:

A Bladesinger, to me, is a bit of an anomaly to see on a battlefield: a creature of grace, lithe and still, standing on a battlefield, no armor to really speak of, wielding a blade in one hand. Then, the 'Singer begins to dance. While a 'reasonable' facsimilie can be made with El. Knight, I think it warrants a kit of its own. There are other reasons I think that as well, but this post has run long enough. Thanks for the feedback though: it made me really go back to El. Knight and figure out what i DIDN'T like about it. Always a good thing.:smallsmile: