PDA

View Full Version : D&D 3.x Other Passive Healing Aura?

Excaria
2015-08-29, 02:02 AM
So, I'm trying to make a new class using an idea I had for a non D&D character, and one of the abilities I want to use is making a passive healing aura around the user. I know this will probably be pretty strong, so that's why I'm trying to get feedback on how to make it more balanced.

So, the class will have a several auras that can be activated one at a time using verbal commands much like Stances for the Crusader and Swordsage classes. At lower levels, these will take a a standard action to activate, but with levels put in to 'upgrade' the aura, it will eventually become a Free Action.

The aura I'm most concerned with for being too strong is this healing aura, which will be obtainable at either level two or three. I wasn't sure how much healing would be too strong for the levels, and how to make it scale, heal amount, aura radius, number of characters affected, etc. Any ideas on what I can do or questions?

Draconi Redfir
2015-08-29, 03:34 AM
try looking up the term "fast healing" on an SRD, i beleive there's a paladin trait or feat or something that allows an aura that gives it but i'm not sure. in essence fast healing provides one hit point per round. it's not a lot, but at early levels it could be quite helpful.maybe bump it up by one or two points every two or three levels and keep the range to a minimum, so allies need to be within 10 feet of you to recieve it. Perhaps the class that has this ability doesn't gain the benifit of the fast healing himself, or merely gets some wattered down version of it himself since he's providing it to his allies.

Stratovarius
2015-08-29, 06:20 AM
Take a look at the Dragon Shaman class - it does a fair bit of what you want, and it actually has a healing aura. The other D&D aura class is the Marshal, although it's generally considered to be weak.

Dragon Shaman (http://dndtools.pw/classes/dragon-shaman/).
Marshal (http://dndtools.pw/classes/marshal/).

Hanuman
2015-08-29, 07:25 AM
http://www.d20pfsrd.com/psionics-unleashed/classes/vitalist

Basically, you want this.

Allows you to move healing around your party, so combine that with permanent fast heal for a passive aoe fast heal that's balanced.

Nifft
2015-08-29, 09:01 AM
The aura I'm most concerned with for being too strong is this healing aura, which will be obtainable at either level two or three. I wasn't sure how much healing would be too strong for the levels, and how to make it scale, heal amount, aura radius, number of characters affected, etc. Any ideas on what I can do or questions?

There's a feat in Dragon Magic which allows anyone to pick up the Dragon Shaman's fast healing aura out to 30 ft. (fast healing 1 up to half max HP), and if you've got the (Dragonblood) subtype, then the fast healing scales: +2 at level 7, +3 at level 14, and finally +4 at level 20.

The fact that it cuts out at half max HP means that your party still needs to expend resources to stay at maximum power, and that the healing is most effective when your party is more than half of the way to dead already.

IMHO that's a pretty decent balance mechanic.

Excaria
2015-08-29, 03:05 PM
Ah, I didn't realize the Dragon Shaman offered this. Thanks for telling me about it. Healing only for those who are below half health would make sense. Think I know how the scaling would work now, so thanks for the help.