PDA

View Full Version : If you could have them, give me your tank combo duos?

djreynolds
2015-08-29, 03:38 AM
You know the fighter discussion was great, but I think what I got out of it, is a fighter is really a "team" player. And I kept showcasing the fighter with a team. But when skimming through everyone's expert advice, I was wondering what the best tanking duo would be?

Its a nice discussion. For example, we forget how awesome barbarians are giving advantage, paladin's healing, rogue's sneak attack. If you had a party with paladin, or other tank someone had rolled up, who would you cast along side him.

Perhaps for a fighter you would go rogue. But a rogue works well with paladin, barbarian, and even ranger. Does his beast count as an ally allowing sneak attacks. And caster/tanks are fine. Perhaps no multi-classing, too many variables.

So if you friend is dead set on a fighter, who would you match up with him?

I'm sorry addition. You got a healer, caster, skill- monkey, and two tanks say? Or you could just go duo?

JellyPooga
2015-08-29, 04:36 AM

Just a two-man party? Or are we talking as part of a greater whole?

In the case of the two-man party, I'd probably go with a Rogue. The Battlemaster is exceedingly handy for setting up the shenanigans a Rogue can pull, even to the extent of granting an extra Sneak Attack per round with Commanders' Strike. That's a whole heap of DPR right there.

If we're talking about two characters in a larger party, then the variables are too great to really make a solid decision. Monk could be good for knockdowns to take advantage of the Fighters high number of attacks, any Caster is good for buffs, etc. etc.

djreynolds
2015-08-29, 05:20 AM
Just a two-man party? Or are we talking as part of a greater whole?

In the case of the two-man party, I'd probably go with a Rogue. The Battlemaster is exceedingly handy for setting up the shenanigans a Rogue can pull, even to the extent of granting an extra Sneak Attack per round with Commanders' Strike. That's a whole heap of DPR right there.

If we're talking about two characters in a larger party, then the variables are too great to really make a solid decision. Monk could be good for knockdowns to take advantage of the Fighters high number of attacks, any Caster is good for buffs, etc. etc.

Oh I'm sorry, say a five man party with two tanks. And two tanks you think is good combo. I'll edit my post and with cleric, caster, "skill-monkey"

JellyPooga
2015-08-29, 05:38 AM
Oh I'm sorry, say a five man party with two tanks. And two tanks you think is good combo. I'll edit my post and with cleric, caster, "skill-monkey"

OK, assuming you've got the other bases covered;

Battlemaster/Battlemaster works well; between the two of them they've got a lot of battlefield control and have a great deal of versatility to deal with multiple types of situation. They've also got a lot of staying power to deal with multiple encounters a day if they spread their usage of Maneuver Dice OR they have the ability to go nova on a single tough foe by using Action Surge and expending multiple Maneuver Dice in one round.

MaxWilson
2015-08-29, 02:04 PM

If it's just us two in the party, I'd probably try to get him to play a Sharpshooter Eldritch Knight, on the theory that he's in charge of DPR and tanking. And then I would play a bardlock, to cover protection/healing/summoning/face duty/stealth/AoE.

PC #1:
Variant Human: Sharpshooter
1-20: Eldritch Knight (Expeditious Retreat, Shield, Magic Weapon, Absorb Elements)
Feats: Max Dex, Mobile, Healer, Resilient (Wis), Lucky

PC #2:
Variant Human: Inspired Leader
1-2: Warlock (Cthulock, Agonizing Blast, Repelling Blast; Expeditious Retreat, Hex, Armor of Agathys)
3+: (Lore) Bard
Bard 6 Magical Secrets: Aura of Vitality, Conjure Animals
Bard 10 Magical Secrets: Spike Growth, Counterspell
Feats: Max CHA, then take Spell Sniper

The Sharpshooter guy can tank just fine when he needs to (thanks to Dex and Shield), and the bardlock can tank by proxy (8 conjured draft horses + Repelling Blast to thin down numbers), but neither of them really wants to be in melee if it can be avoided, because this is 5E.

Gwendol
2015-08-29, 02:54 PM
Two tanks? Bearbarian & champion fighter. Simple and straightforward.
Some dedication to grappling and shoving, and the ability to really lay the smack down when needed.

Louro
2015-08-29, 08:32 PM
1. Battlemaster with "Polearm Master" feat and "Pushing attack" maneuver.
2. Battlemaster with "Polearm Master" feat and "Pushing attack" maneuver.

Mobile, Sentinel and Shield Master feats also great for survivality and party defence..

djreynolds
2015-08-30, 02:21 AM
Though perhaps not playable because of character bickering. How about paladin and barbarian?

Georlik
2015-08-30, 05:02 AM
Moon Druid with Sentinel and Paladin of the Ancients with Mounted Combatant?

Gwendol
2015-08-30, 05:31 AM
I suppose you intend to have the paladin ride the druid in combat?

djreynolds
2015-08-30, 05:48 AM
Moon Druid with Sentinel and Paladin of the Ancients with Mounted Combatant?

You guys are EVIL. I like it. I like the battle-master, the barbarian's ally advantage, paladin smite and heal, rogue's sneak attack, fighter's enormous selection of feats. Druid mount is cool, kinda "Wonder Twins" awesome. Colossus throwing wolverine, any ideas?

djreynolds
2015-08-30, 05:49 AM
If it's just us two in the party, I'd probably try to get him to play a Sharpshooter Eldritch Knight, on the theory that he's in charge of DPR and tanking. And then I would play a bardlock, to cover protection/healing/summoning/face duty/stealth/AoE.

PC #1:
Variant Human: Sharpshooter
1-20: Eldritch Knight (Expeditious Retreat, Shield, Magic Weapon, Absorb Elements)
Feats: Max Dex, Mobile, Healer, Resilient (Wis), Lucky

PC #2:
Variant Human: Inspired Leader
1-2: Warlock (Cthulock, Agonizing Blast, Repelling Blast; Expeditious Retreat, Hex, Armor of Agathys)
3+: (Lore) Bard
Bard 6 Magical Secrets: Aura of Vitality, Conjure Animals
Bard 10 Magical Secrets: Spike Growth, Counterspell
Feats: Max CHA, then take Spell Sniper

The Sharpshooter guy can tank just fine when he needs to (thanks to Dex and Shield), and the bardlock can tank by proxy (8 conjured draft horses + Repelling Blast to thin down numbers), but neither of them really wants to be in melee if it can be avoided, because this is 5E.

Very cool as well.

Georlik
2015-08-30, 07:03 AM
I suppose you intend to have the paladin ride the druid in combat?

https://images.encyclopediadramatica.se/d/d1/BearCavalry.png

Coyote81
2015-08-30, 07:55 AM
I found my Minotaur Abjuration Fighter Wizard with Sentinel to be a rather effective tanking partner. Has preventative healing, is really hard to hit with high AC and access to shield spell. Sentinel makes enemies pay for leaving his area, and he has a bunch of effective spells that he doesn't even suffer casting penalties for in combat. To end, Minotaur gives him effective battlefield places control as well.

Team this up with a good Melee DPR like polearm master paladin/rogue.