PDA

View Full Version : D&D 3.x Class Kenku Smuggler [3.5, FoB, Business, Merchant, E6]

Gaiyamato
2015-08-29, 04:36 AM
Kenku Smuggler

Requirements: Kenku Race only.

HD: 1D6

Class Skills:
Appraise, Balance, Bluff, Climb, Decipher Script, Diplomacy, Disguise, Escape Artist, Forgery, Gather Information, Hide, Intimidate, Knowledge(Arcana), Knowledge(Geography), Knowledge(Local), Knowledge(Nature), Move Silently, Profession, Sense Motive, Sleight Of Hand, Survival, Swim, Spellcraft, Tumble, Use Magic Device

Skill Points at First Level: (6 + Int modifier) x 4
Skill Points For Second Level: 6 + Int modifier

LevelBABFort Ref WillSpecial1st2nd3rd4th
1+0+0+2+2Kenku Magic0------
2+1+0+3+3Kenku Sense20----
3+2+1+3+3Kenku Camaraderie +121----
4+3+1+4+4Bonus Feat320--
5+3+1+4+4Kenku Camaraderie +2321--
6+4+2+5+5Weather Attunement, Master of Commerce4320
[/tr]

Kenu Magic:
Kenku Smugglers gain the ability to cast a limited number of Arcane spells. These spells are memorized ahead of time from a spellbook just as a Wizard.
Charisma for bonus spells and spell DCs. A Kenku Smuggler gains all of the spells on her list for free as she is able to cast them.
Additional Wizard/Sorcerer spells may be learned from Spellbooks or Scrolls as per a Wizard, for double the standard cost for a Wizard.

Kenku Sense:
Kenku Smugglers gain +1 to all Sense Motive and Appraise rolls per Kenku Smuggler 2 levels.

Bonus Feat:
Gain a Bonus Feat, chosen from the following list:
Negotiatior, Persuasive, Deceitful, Stealthy, Skill Focus, Extra contacts, Resourceful Buyer, Smatterings, Freerunner, Sure Hand, Sweet Talker, Sly Fortune, Ship’s Mage

Kenku Camaraderie:
Smugglers have to stick together when the odds are against them. Kenku are exceptional at cooperation in groups. The Kenku Great Ally ability bonuses all increase by the listed bonus. In addition the DC to aid another decreases by 2 times the listed bonus.

Weather Attunement
When casting Weather Eye, Storm Shield, Favorable Wind or any other weather related spell there is a 50% chance that it does not use a spell slot as normal but instead allows the Kenku smuggler to instantly replace it with another spell of the same or lower level from her spellbook.

Master of Commerce:
Receive a +2 insight bonus on profit modifier and a 10% reduction in capital costs.

Spell List:
1: Charm Person, Comprehend Languages, Create Water, Cure Minor Wounds, Erase, Expeditious Retreat, Feather Fall, Know Direction, Mage Armor, Mage Hand, Purify Food and Drink, Shield, Unseen Servant, Repair Light Damage, Repair Minor Damage, Chalkboard, Hide from Animals, Hide from Undead, Read Magic, Detect Magic

2: Continual Flame, Cure Light Wounds, Detect Thoughts, Endure Elements, Identify, Locate Object, Obscure Object, Leomund's Trap, Make Whole, Misdirection, Nystul's Magic Aura, Nystul's Undetectable Aura, Protection from Arrows, Tenser's Floating Disc, Undetectable Alignment, Whispering Wind, Vision of Glory, Ride of The Valenar, Lay of the Land, Repair Moderate Damage, Silence, Darkness

3: Analyze Portal, Create Food and Water, Eagle's Splendor, Fool's Gold, Fox's Cunning, Gembomb, Knock, Leomund's Secure Shelter, Magic Mouth, Owl's Wisdom, Phantom Steed, Resist Elements, Secret Page, See Invisibility, Speak with Animals, Tongues, Sweet Water, Acorn of Far Travel, Repair Serious Damage

4: Cure Moderate Wounds, Storm Shield, Weather Eye, Camel's Tenacity, Favorable Wind, Treasure Scent, Dispel Magic, Scrying, Dimensional Anchor, Nezram's Emerald Energy Shield, Dimension Door, Minor Creation, Detect Scrying, Charm Monster, Melt Metal, Raise From The Deep, Repair Critical Damage, Voice of the Dragon

Gaiyamato
2015-08-29, 05:34 AM
Taking all 6 levels of this would count as a Merchant Prince if you also take the Business Savvy feat. :smallsmile:

AtlasSniperman
2015-08-29, 05:43 AM
OMG
OMG
OMG
OMG
bookmarking.

I've always been a fan of Kenku(my favourite race, which I have done considerable worldbuilding on) and it's great to see Kenku PrC's. I also love the idea of the PrC in general and am very happy to see it posted.

Gaiyamato
2015-08-29, 05:45 AM
Sort of a base class/prestige class for my specific game.

Recruitment here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?437066-Merchants-Bandits-Pirates-Mercenaries-more-Battle-for-Little-World-DnD-3-5-FoB)

Main Thread full of details here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?362220-Master-Thread-for-FoB-Little-world-III)

thethird
2015-08-29, 06:22 AM
How about I make you something special :smallamused:

EDIT:
Kenku Smuggler (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?437561-Kenku-Smuggler-3-5-FoB-Business-Merchant-E6-WIP)
Still a WIP.

Oh yes, most definetively that's awesome and I can see myself crewing the ship with them! Thank you very much for brewing that.

Kenku magic, I don't think it's a good idea to allow it to learn any spell found in spellbooks, I think that's too powerful, keeping the kenku smuggler list concise and to a theme (finding/getting something, hiding it, moving it) might work better. On spells I've never been fond of raising spell levels and magic/undetectable aura seem like really thematic to the smuggler, I think they should still be level 1. Also the guy doesn't have the ability to read magic nor detect it since he doesn't have 0 level spells, which might be a fitting addition.

While I like skirmish and it's probably thematic to kenku and a good way of doing damage, I think that there are other things that would sinergize better with the theme. For example bardic knowledge would allow the smuggler to get hints as to how to play the market, and could be a rad idea. For that same reason I would like something particularly fitted to kenku, i.e. something that justifies having the kenku as the only base race, I would suggest having something related to aid another / flanking since that's their most interesting feature, perhaps adaptive flanker (meaning they can flank from any adjacent space), or reducing the aid another DC to 5 (which is a teamwork benefit). Perhaps having a small bird familiar-lite like the raven summoned by being bound to malphas? Also negotiator and kenku senses do almost the same thing, either can probably be scrubbed.

A nitpickity nitpick weather attunement is refered as weather sense in the table.

Finally skill wise, I think speak language might be an addition given their mimicry.

Gaiyamato
2015-08-29, 06:29 AM
Well You only have max 4th level spells given you are E6, the wizards spellbook allows you to add a few other more useful spells into it, like the odd Orb spell etc. by paying for it. I could nerf it by making it cost double the normal cost to add a spell.

I could swap out Skirmish for an improvement in the Kenku Great Ally ability if you like, no worries.

haha.. whoops on the Kenku Sense, I was going for buffing the class skills you would find the most useful.
I'll swap diplomacy out the Diplomacy for Appraise. They really know how to sniff out a bargain! I think having a very good Sense Motive skill check would not hurt a smuggler given the sorts they often deal with.

Gaiyamato
2015-08-29, 06:36 AM
Updated. See what you think now? :smallsmile:

thethird
2015-08-29, 07:04 AM
Updated. See what you think now? :smallsmile:

I like the kenku great ally :smallsmile:.

Personally I would give them bardic knowledge, and 0th level spells (unless you give very basic 0 level spells at will, detect/read magic mostly), at 1st level, make kenku sense bonus equal to levels in kenku smuggler (appraise and sense motive are not OP skills), and give them a small choice of feats at 4th level to pick from such as: negotiatior, persuasive, deceitful, stealthy, skill focus, extra contacts (cityscape), resourceful buyer (races of destiny), smatterings (races of destiny), etcetera.

On increasing the cost of the spells, I don't know if that's a good or bad idea, if you want to keep it as it was it's probably fine but now that first thing I would do on that situation was to hunt for scrolls that have the spell's that are at a higher level in the smuggler list at their normal level. What I would do is limit to sorcerer/wizard spells, explicitly, and keep the cost and spell levels as normal.

Gaiyamato
2015-08-29, 07:14 AM
Eh a lot of that is a bit messy. I'll give a range of feats for the free feat, but the class is very powerful already, in particular in an E6 game.
Read and Detect Magic as first levels spells cannot hurt.

Restricting Sorcerer/wizard spells is difficult given how many there are. I could limit it to Illusion and Divination I suppose which brings the power level down a lot.

Also remember, because this world is brand new, there are not any dungeons anywhere, no piles of loot etc. To get a scroll you need to pay someone to make it for you. The game itself limits many things.

Gaiyamato
2015-08-29, 07:24 AM
Alright done. I am pretty happy with that. :smallsmile:

thethird
2015-08-29, 08:31 AM
Shiny, then time to build a McPi.

Does it have concentration as a class skill?

What are the weapon profeciencies?