PDA

View Full Version : Partially-Buried Eberron

Regitnui
2015-08-29, 02:58 PM
As a fan of the setting (and changelings in particular), I'd be interested in using the Unearthed Arcana in my games. Have any Playground members used the UA, and what were your impressions and opinions?

Mcdt2
2015-08-29, 07:47 PM
The races, as a whole, seem a little weak compared to the PHB options, in particular the changeling (I houseruled them to give +2 Cha). Warforged are good, if a little bland, as that +1 AC that stacks with everyone is very nice. Personally, I'd probably homebrew up a few subraces for warforged, to represent them being built for different battlefield roles. Nobody in my group likes shifters much, so none of them have played one, and I've yet to have a chance to play in an Eberron campaign myself, so I can't say much about them.

As for artificer... it's really not worthy of the name at all. Mechanically, I think it's a nice wizard tradition, but it's no artificer. Call it a magewright, and I'm okay. Haven't seen it action yet though.

ShikomeKidoMi
2015-08-29, 11:28 PM
Shifters are less penalized than Changelings but not as good as Warforged.

How bad they are depends on how many short rests you get, but a shifter who gets to use his shift power rarely is far behind other races and one who gets to use it almost every fight might find the bonus hitpoints strong at lower levels. The best Shifters are probably Beasthide, for the +1 AC (which warforged get all the time) or Longstride for the bonus action dash (which rogues get all the time), so none of them are spectacular. Wildhunt might be okay if you're the team perception monkey and you get hit with a lot of Wisdom saves, but there probably are better races for all three.

Regitnui
2015-08-30, 01:22 AM
For changelings; +2 Charisma in addition to what they have already?

Shifters had the short end of the stick in 3.5 as well, and the campaigns I've played are in Lhazaar or Breland, so i don't have as much fondness for them either. Might just replace them with goliaths, doing the Eberron thing and putting a twist on the race's established flavour.

Mcdt2
2015-08-30, 12:58 PM
For changelings; +2 Charisma in addition to what they have already?

Ah, I mean that I increased their +1 Cha bonus to a +2 bonus instead. Comparing to Half-Elves (which also get a +2 Cha), you lose out on an extra +1 stat bump, a skill proficiency, darkvision, advantage against being charmed, and immunity to magic sleep, in exchange for what amounts to at-will disguise self. There are other small bits too (half-elves get more flexibility with stats/skills, changelings are more flexible with languages), but those are less relevant.

Regitnui
2015-08-30, 02:18 PM
Well, stats and skills are crunch, but languages are ribbons. Not sure they can be equated.

D.U.P.A.
2015-08-30, 03:18 PM
Stats for Eberron stuff are for Next (aka 5e beta). If you for some reason still play Next, they are balanced.

Regitnui
2015-08-31, 01:35 AM
Stats for Eberron stuff are for Next (aka 5e beta). If you for some reason still play Next, they are balanced.

I'm planning on converting an old 3.5 adventure i came up with to full 5e. The races from the UA are all I need, considering the fleet of changelings and Sun-Kin shifters (Goliaths?) on the less inhabited islands.

eastmabl
2015-08-31, 08:49 PM

I think that most people are discussing the Eberron Unearthed Arcana article that came out Feb. 2, 2015.

http://dnd.wizards.com/articles/features/unearthed-arcana-eberron

D.U.P.A.
2015-09-01, 03:19 AM
I think that most people are discussing the Eberron Unearthed Arcana article that came out Feb. 2, 2015.

http://dnd.wizards.com/articles/features/unearthed-arcana-eberron

I know. If you have seen the the stats of Next races (there was a Kender too), you will see that the Next Warforged has exactly the same stats than UA Warforged. I suspect that it was done while they were doing Eberron stuff before 5e officially came out.