PDA

View Full Version : Ranger help

xDacY
2015-08-29, 03:07 PM
Iv started playing a human ranger and took point blank shot and rapid shot as my 1st lvl feats. When I hit lvl 2 and have to choose my combat style there's probably no point to me choosing archery because I already have rabid shot so should I just choose TWF even thought that's not the rout I want to take?

Also whats a decent build for a ranger that primarily wants to use his bow and not go TWF? I was thinking of dipping 4 lvls into Scout, 1 lvl into fighter and the rest ranger.

Here are my stats

Str 14
Dex 17
Con 13
Int 12
Wis 9
Cha 12

Feats
Point blank
Rapid shot

Troacctid
2015-08-29, 03:09 PM
Choose archery and retrain Rapid Shot into a different feat. Alternately, choose wild shape (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/variantCharacterClasses.htm#ranger).

elonin
2015-08-29, 05:25 PM
I'll agree with Troacctid here. I've tried to get two weapon fighting to work and it just doesn't. Are you planning to keep taking ranger levels? I'm going to recommend that you make a switch hitter. Use your ranger feats to improve your archery and general feats for a two handed weapon. I'd swap rapid shot for power attack.

If you have access to pathfinder feats grab deadly aim as soon as possible for power attacking with your bow.

PaucaTerrorem
2015-08-29, 05:28 PM
Keep the going on the archery path. Pick up a level of barbarian and a greataxe. Pluck away with your bow until enemies are close enough to charge them. Drop bow, draw greataxe, rage. Not the most effective, but it is fun.

Jowgen
2015-08-29, 07:41 PM
Dragon magazine issue 326 has a number of alternative weapon styles you might choose from with DM approval. This includes the Strong Arm Style, which would net you power attack without needing to meet the prerequisites for switch-hitter purposes.

xDacY
2015-08-29, 08:26 PM
I think the DM said no Dragon magazines just DnD 3.5 so that rules out PF as well. So Im thinking when I hit lvl 2 Ill continue with archery and see if the DM will allow me to do what Troacctid said about wild shape, I dont know if I want to CC with barbarian Im now thinking maybe 3 lvls of rouge and the rest ranger idk.

gorfnab
2015-08-29, 11:20 PM
Iv started playing a human ranger and took point blank shot and rapid shot as my 1st lvl feats. When I hit lvl 2 and have to choose my combat style there's probably no point to me choosing archery because I already have rabid shot so should I just choose TWF even thought that's not the rout I want to take?

Also whats a decent build for a ranger that primarily wants to use his bow and not go TWF? I was thinking of dipping 4 lvls into Scout, 1 lvl into fighter and the rest ranger.

Obligatory handbook links
Ranger Handbook (http://www.minmaxboards.com/index.php?topic=8684)
Scout Handbook (http://community.wizards.com/forum/previous-editions-character-optimization/threads/1044716)
Swift Hunter Handbook (http://www.minmaxboards.com/index.php?topic=8722)
For Ranger and Scout you'll want to look into the feat Swift Hunter to take advantage of continued Skirmish damage and Favored Enemies.

Here are my stats

Str 14
Dex 17
Con 13
Int 12
Wis 9
Cha 12

Feats
Point blank
Rapid shot
Any chance of switching the Wis and Cha? Ranger spellcasting is Wis based and Cha is pretty much a dump stat for most Ranger/Scout builds.

Darrin
2015-08-30, 08:39 AM
I've tried to get two weapon fighting to work and it just doesn't.

There are ways to make it work (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?279079), but it requires some finagling.

If you want to try a "Switch Hitter", Ranger 2/Fighter 18 or Ranger 6/Fighter 14 should work just fine. An elvencraft longbow (+300 GP, Races of the Wild) would allow you to switch effortlessly between ranged attacks, TWF attacks, or two-handed curbstomping. If your Wisdom really is going to stay at 9, consider the Champion of the Wild ACF (Alternate Class Feature) in Complete Champion, where you trade your spellcasting (which you can't use) for bonus feats related to your Combat Style. If you do this and are planning to take more than 4 levels of Ranger, then be careful you don't pick feats you'll get for free later (Manyshot and Improved Precise Shot).

But I'm in agreement with most of the other posters here: tell your DM you made a mistake on the direction of your build, and you want to select a different feat so that your Combat Style isn't wasted on something you'll either never use or never use well. I'd recommend taking Precise Shot instead of Rapid Shot, particularly if the other players keep charging into melee without leaving you any available targets to pepper with arrows.

elonin
2015-08-30, 06:43 PM
Are you looking for straight ranger or are you interested in multi class builds? If the complete series is allowed there is a feat that allows you to stack ranger and scout for improved damage on the attacks. In order to take advantage of this most of the time you'll be giving up multiple attacks per round and the extra damage is precision damage. (can't remember the name of the feat)

xDacY
2015-08-30, 07:36 PM
I would like to cross class but just not sure with what, we have a barb, druid, wiz, rouge and pally in the group. I talked to my DM and he said I can choose a different feat at lvl 2 so Im deff thinking Precise Shot. Thank you guys for helping me

Darrin
2015-08-30, 07:42 PM
I would like to cross class but just not sure with what, we have a barb, druid, wiz, rouge and pally in the group. I talked to my DM and he said I can choose a different feat at lvl 2 so Im deff thinking Precise Shot. Thank you guys for helping me

If Complete Adventurer and Complete Scoundrel are available in your game, then consider picking up some Scout levels and making a Swift Hunter build. You could start with Ranger 2/Scout 4, taking both the Swift Hunter and Improved Skirmish feats at level 6, and then finishing out the rest of your career with Ranger levels. Once you get Greater Manyshot (from the Expanded Psionics Handbook or the online SRD), you can move + fire multiple arrows every round.