PDA

View Full Version : Evil Paladin Sorcerer

SadFaceNinja
2015-08-29, 03:18 PM
Hey guys, I am jumping in a 3.5 evil campaign tomorrow. I have not played it, but really like the paladin/sorcerer/abjurant champion/spellsword/sacred exorcist build. However since we are playing evil characters the sacred exorcist is off the table. I plan on using the paladin variant in unearthed arcana to be a lawful evil paladin. Anyone have an idea what to run with instead of sacred exorcist? All books are open, but no Dragon Magazine. Much thanks.

noob
2015-08-29, 03:29 PM
Why paladin? for flavor?
For the power of a T2 do not put T4 levels in the mix and if you want a T4 do not put T2 levels in the mix.
or it is just because you want to try a very weird concept which will probably not feel like a paladin(sorcerer powers will entirely and utterly overshadow the paladin levels) but only feel like a less powerful sorcerer(unless you are not using up your sorcerer levels by doing weird stuff like casting spells in contact but then you should try to replace sorcerer and paladin by priest(or divine soul if you want T2 instead of T1) levels(and go full priest with prc improving spell-casting at the maximum rate) and to use some spells of the priest or divine mind like infinite strength and HP)

SadFaceNinja
2015-08-29, 04:06 PM
Yeah pretty much for flavor. I'm not looking to optimize. Just wanted a good gish that involved paladin. All the other party roles are filled.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2015-08-29, 04:31 PM
An evil Sorcadin doesn't really work at all, because the good alignment synergy is even more important than the Cha synergy.

The standard Sorcadin uses Paladin (good) for Cha synergy, (Greater) Luminous Armor (good) with Abjurant Champion, Ancestral Relic (good) for a custom Runestaff to get around their limited number of spells known, and Sacred Exorcist (good) to get decent BAB without losing spellcasting. Of all these things, the only one with an evil or even nongood equivalent is Paladin.

Without the good alignment, you lose the only armor-bonus spell that benefits from Abjurant Champion, you have no reliable method of superseding the limited number of spells known, and you'll have to choose between having a +16 BAB or having 9th level spells by 20th level. You miss out on three of the four things that make it a good build. A nongood Sorcadin just doesn't work.

noob
2015-08-29, 05:39 PM
one funny thing is that stacking the same template is allowed and so if you want you can take human heritage and stack indefinitely corpse creature and bone creature and lich once you reached a level where you decide you will stop trying to gain new levels.

TheifofZ
2015-08-29, 05:47 PM
one funny thing is that stacking the same template is allowed and so if you want you can take human heritage and stack indefinitely corpse creature and bone creature and lich once you reached a level where you decide you will stop trying to gain new levels.

RAW allowed and Sane-DM allowed are quite often very different beasts.
By RAW, I can drown someone back to life and play as a level 1 kobold that just so happens to have access to epic feats.
By Sane DMing, Drowning someone that can't breathe water is always lethal, and a level 1 Kobold with access to epic feats also has immediate access to the afterlife by virtue of being very dead and not playable anymore. Same-Template stacking might be legal according to the Rules as Written, but according to anyone with half a brain, you can't be a half-troll half-troll half-troll half-troll half-troll half-troll half-troll half-troll human. Or whatever.

SadFaceNinja
2015-08-29, 08:52 PM
I appreciate all the help guys. Should have know it wouldn't be possible, but no harm in asking. Guess I'll be finding something else to roll with. Much thanks!

Pluto!
2015-08-29, 10:37 PM
I appreciate all the help guys. Should have know it wouldn't be possible, but no harm in asking. Guess I'll be finding something else to roll with. Much thanks!

Should be perfectly doable.
What you need that Sacred Exorcist would otherwise provide is 8 levels of 3/4 BA and full casting. You can get that from a combination of:
Ruathar (3 levels long)
Halfling Whistler (10 levels long)
Raumathari Battlemage (6 levels until it loses CL)
Nosomatic Chirurgen (4 levels until loss of CL)
Unseen Seer (10 levels long, doesn't require sneak attack, but benefits you if you can get it through feats, gear, etc.)
Spellwarp Sniper (5 levels long)

Probably more, certainly combinations of Dragonslayer/other opportunistic level dips and one or more of the above.

But also, worth noting - by the time you're 20 levels deep in a build, that last point of BA doesn't actually matter that much. Going into something like Incantatrix instead of Sacred Exorcist will hardly wind up weaker, even in terms of combat skills.

Crake
2015-08-29, 11:35 PM

The feat only changes your type when you acquire it. It doesn't say "your type is forevermore humanoid" it says "your type changes to humanoid". So if your type changes after you gain the feat, the feat doesn't suddenly apply again and change your type back to humanoid. That's a one time benefit upon gaining the feat. You may still retain the benefit of having all effects treat you as a humanoid (human), but templates aren't effects, so it wouldn't change their ability to qualify.

Taveena
2015-08-30, 03:38 AM
Unearthed Arcana has three Paladin variants for CE, LE, and CG characters. All of them gain Divine Grace-alikes, so there's still sorcerer synergy. In addition, Dragon #312 contains ANOTHER set of LE, NE, and CE Paladins. Which also have Charisma to saves.

And there's also the Blackguard, which gains Charisma to saves. Battle Sorcerer is a straight power-nerf but it gets you in single-classed after 8th.