View Full Version : Backswords & Bucklers

Suteinu
2015-08-29, 04:23 PM
An old-fashioned, stripped-down basic d20 system reminiscent of OD&D, set in Elizabethan England. Intriguing, and in someways resembles D&D 5e in it's streamlined nature. I only recently found it, though it was published about 2009. I'm looking for supplements to the core rule book, but can only find two Tavern Trawling and an Adventure Book, though others are previewed in the back of Book 1. Anyone know about this system or these supplements?

DDogwood
2015-09-11, 06:52 AM
I own it. It's based on Matt Finch's Swords & Wizardry White Box, which is itself a retro-clone of the original "little brown books" of D&D (before the Greyhawk supplement and the Thief class were added to the game).

The rules are D&D-esque, but very light - the idea is that you don't actually need a lot of rules to run a game. It's got some neat ideas in it, including a way to run a low-magic semi-historical game with D&D.

It's an OSR D&D game, which means it's about 95% compatible with everything else from the D&D zone of the OSR. The base rules and the Tavern Trawling supplement have enough in them to help you create a pretty extensive campaign, but there are several adventures for Lamentations of the Flame Princess that would fit in very nicely with the rules (The God That Crawls, Scenic Dunnsmouth, and maybe Better Than Any Man would all work with little or no conversion).

What kind of supplements are you looking for?

Suteinu
2015-09-13, 08:15 PM
Sorry for the delayed response. Thanks for responding, DDogwood, .

I've seen Tavern Trawling an heard also about an additional Adventure Book of some kind. At the end of the Rulebook One (p. 43) are listed the following future publications:

Men of Magic
The Company of Maisters
The Book of Goods
The Book of Trades
Men of Birth
Men of the Sea

These were announced as future publications back in `09 or so, so either they've been published & I haven't found `em or the company has gone under. I am particularly interested in the additional classes and the CoM. If they aren't publishing any more, do you know if anyone has home-brewed such? I'm not very good at doing that sort of thing and could use the guidance.

Thanks also for the leads on the Lamentations stuff. I'm going to look through that thoroughly as soon as possible ... like as soon as dinner is over!