PDA

View Full Version : V's Application in 'On the Origin': Gender revealed? [Spoiler]

DrewDaGreek
2015-08-29, 05:11 PM
So, while reading the PDF I noticed something about V. I think Rich gave us a cleverly hidden reveal of V's gender.

On their application to the Order, the 'gender' box is accidentally inked out, but two other stats remain: Height 151 cm and Weight 39 kg

Translated into customary units, V is 4'11 and 86 lbs.

Now Height is calculated by (Base Height + random increase)
Weight is calculated by (Base Weight + (the height increase * 1d6))

V is 4'11": Which is 6 inches over the starting height of 4'5" (same for both genders)

However, male and female elves have different base weights (80 for females, 85 for males)

So a Male elf at 4'11" has a weight range between 91-121 lbs
Yet a Female elf at 4'11" has a weight range between 86-116 lbs.

At 86 lbs, V fit exactly into the range of female-only weights for her height. She's female.

151 and 39 are also not 'round numbers', so I doubt that a writer as talented as Rich picked a number in the exact 'female only' range by accident.

Now, to be fair, Height/Weight rules are one of the least followed and most flexible aspects of character generation, but it's an interesting observation. V could simple be lighter than the average elf or elf base weights work differently in Rich's campaign, but it doesn't feel like he'd do that instead of just making V 43 kgs.

Gift Jeraff
2015-08-29, 05:25 PM
I don't know if it was changed in the PDF, but in the print version V is listed as 103 years old, which isn't even adulthood for an elf. Rich throwing numbers off the top of his head is more likely than you think.

Sniffnoy
2015-08-29, 05:30 PM
I don't know if it was changed in the PDF, but in the print version V is listed as 103 years old, which isn't even adulthood for an elf. Rich throwing numbers off the top of his head is more likely than you think.

Can confirm, same in the PDF.

137beth
2015-08-29, 07:19 PM
I'm guessing its a matter of OOTS not following 3.5 rules.

Also, even if it were true, that number would only indicate V's physical sex, not their gender.

endiku
2015-08-29, 07:52 PM
{scrubbed}

zimmerwald1915
2015-08-29, 07:58 PM
{SCRUBBED}
Oh, this will work out well for you. I give this thread twenty more posts before it's locked.

hroşila
2015-08-29, 08:01 PM
{scrubbed}

Bad Wolf
2015-08-29, 08:02 PM
{scrubbed}

endiku
2015-08-29, 08:42 PM
{scrubbed}

endiku
2015-08-29, 08:43 PM
{scrubbed}

Bitzer
2015-08-29, 08:51 PM
This is quite interesting as it would allow us to determine V's sex according to RAW. However, when that application was submitted, the world followed 3.0 rules. Are the weight ranges the same under 3.0?

Darth Paul
2015-08-29, 08:52 PM
{SCRUBBED}

Please try not to pigeonhole us old-timers. Many of us are still very open-minded and inclusive of all others. Even when we're not quite sure what's going on in the world these days, we try to educate ourselves, or seek others who can teach us.

I'm very glad to be a member of this community for just this reason. I've learned a lot here. I do indeed know a lot more now at 49 than when I was 19. I think I'm richer for it. Thank you, Forum.

littlebum2002
2015-08-29, 08:54 PM
Ok, let's totally ignore that...

Do you think it's possible that V is lying about V's weight? Lots of people do that.

Oh, and my grandfather is 90 years old (His birthday was yesterday!) and he has many...diverse friends. Every year he is invited to dance at a few gay Mardi Gras balls. So yes, many people in the older generations have differing opinions.

Kish
2015-08-29, 08:57 PM
Ignoring certain soon-to-be-scrubbed assertions...

I would be amazed if Rich uses the racial weights in the Player's Handbook. For one thing, they're profoundly silly and he never made a joke about them.

Nerd-o-rama
2015-08-29, 09:09 PM
Congratulations on the first clever V's Gender thread I've seen in a while, OP. Given Rich's general feeling of anathema toward math, I doubt it's intentional, but good catch.

{SCRUBBED}

Definitionally, gender is socially-defined behavior (http://www.socialsciencedictionary.com/GENDER) and sex is genetic and anatomical. Anyone who lives in the real world can tell you that yes, there are people in the world for whom the two do not match. Whether you think that fact has a moral or psychiatric dimension to it or not, or if you deny the validity of that fact, or if you just think it's irrelevant to the discussion of our ambiguous elf evoker, does not mean such people do not exist.

{SCRUBBED}

hroşila
2015-08-29, 09:19 PM
Please try not to pigeonhole us old-timers. Many of us are still very open-minded and inclusive of all others. Even when we're not quite sure what's going on in the world these days, we try to educate ourselves, or seek others who can teach us.

I'm very glad to be a member of this community for just this reason. I've learned a lot here. I do indeed know a lot more now at 49 than when I was 19. I think I'm richer for it. Thank you, Forum.
I apologize; I did not mean to imply that people of endiku's age would necessarily hold outdated views (which would be very unfair indeed), just that it's probably statistically more likely.

(On the other hand, apparently some switch will be flipped on your next birthday and you'll make the transition to the real world)

Darth Paul
2015-08-29, 09:26 PM
I apologize; I did not mean to imply that people of endiku's age would necessarily hold outdated views (which would be very unfair indeed), just that it's probably statistically more likely.

(On the other hand, apparently some switch will be flipped on your next birthday and you'll make the transition to the real world)

No offense taken, I should probably have included a smilie to show I was only 3/4 serious.

On topic, I agree with those who've pointed out that The Giant generally ignores math along with the 3.5 rules as and when it suits him; I doubt He intentionally hid V's biological facts in the numbers on the application... and I doubt the Giant will ever come out and tell us. Maybe in episode #2000.

Forum Staff
2015-08-29, 11:51 PM
Scrubbed heavily for transphobic content. Do not belittle, inslut, slur, or deny the existence of transgender individuals on this message board, in accordance with the Rules of Posting.

Also, if you see someone write something that you know is going to get scrubbed as soon as a moderator sees it, please don't quote it or respond to it. Just report it. The more you interact with it, the more work we have to do cleaning it up.

Since this thread is a mess of scrubs now, it is being locked. Zimmerwald1915 wins twenty gold.