PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Nice characters to play?

GameMasterJohn
2015-08-30, 02:22 AM
Hi Playground,

A new playgrounder here, and I have a few questions. In 5th edition I have already played a Wizard, a Warlock, a Barbarian, a Battlemaster, a Sorcerer and a Ranger, and I am going to participate in a lvl 17 one-shot campaign. I want to play a fun character, who can do nice damage but is also usefull OOC. We can choose 1 uncommon magic item and we start with double the maximum starting money of the class.

So, Playground, can you help me with building a character that is fun to play, is lvl 17, has double starting money and 1 uncommon magic item? Any help is appreciated!

Rhaegar14
2015-08-30, 02:30 AM
Hi Playground,

A new playgrounder here, and I have a few questions. In 5th edition I have already played a Wizard, a Warlock, a Barbarian, a Battlemaster, a Sorcerer and a Ranger, and I am going to participate in a lvl 17 one-shot campaign. I want to play a fun character, who can do nice damage but is also usefull OOC. We can choose 1 uncommon magic item and we start with double the maximum starting money of the class.

So, Playground, can you help me with building a character that is fun to play, is lvl 17, has double starting money and 1 uncommon magic item? Any help is appreciated!

I am having a lot of fun with the Paladin class this edition. They're very elegantly designed. Oath of Vengeance Paladins in particular are really good at picking a key enemy and ruining his day with advantage on all attacks and smites for burst damage.

Coyote81
2015-08-30, 05:16 AM
You could make any extremely good Fighter wizard with a band of intellect (Uncommon item), giving you 19 Intellect and you can spend all your stat points making yourself a very good fighter (Str and Con)

I myself am playing an Fighter 1 Abjuration Wizard 6. I can see a Level 17 character being rather amazing frontline defender with a ton of wizard spell options for out of combat usefulness.

My character is planning on going Eldritch knight for thematic reasons, but I think battlemaster would be even better.

Ketiara
2015-08-30, 12:54 PM
I agree on paladin (either of them) with Warning glaive and ofcourse glaive feat

JAL_1138
2015-08-30, 02:44 PM
I'm rather fond of lore bards and valor bards. Take a Headband of Intellect (uncommon, sets Int to 19) and make Int a dump stat without it on, and you have a fantastic spellcaster who is a ludicrously good skillmonkey. If you go Valor, you're also pretty darn good in melee or ranged weapon combat, depending on feat choice and spell selection, at the cost of being a slightly less versatile (but still very good) caster, having a less-useful (but not half-bad) Bardic Inspiration, and not being quite as good (but still very good) of a skillmonkey. Although if you do go valor, you're better off with a magic weapon to get past resistance than using the Headband to boost your Int skills.

Trickquestion
2015-08-30, 03:26 PM
Any small-race druid can be fun once you start getting creative with wildshape.

SliceandDiceKid
2015-08-31, 07:50 AM
6 fighter/11 rogue

Fighter for obvious reasons and rogue for OOC with reliable talent.

Fighter: You have a combat style, 2 ASI's, second wind, action surge, extra attack (missing for sneak attack is heart-breaking...), and choose crit on 19-20 (awesome to double sneak dice) or grab maneuvers (amazing for boosting your damage and manipulating the battlefield).

Rogue: expertiseX2, cunning action, 2 ASI's, uncanny dodge, evasion, reliable talent (I'll take 10, please), and choose from a few mediocre archetypes. Assassin is decent, but not as great as it looks. I tend to prefer a ranged approach (history tends to confirm this as a superior tactic), but swashbuckler is pretty cool. I'll add the link in a moment (wizards endorsed).

Edit:

https://media.wizards.com/2015/downloads/dnd/UA_Waterborne_v3.pdf

Grimstaff
2015-08-31, 08:32 AM
For a good mix of combat and out-of-combat utility, I don't know if you can beat the Rogue (Thief archetype). I really think 5E knocked it out of the park with this iconic D&D class.

Since you're starting at 17th level, I'd throw in a level or two of Wizard so you can carry around a big book of rituals to increase your utility even further. Maybe Diviner archetype for those couple of "fixed" rolls per day.

PoeticDwarf
2015-08-31, 09:17 AM
Hi Playground,

I really like playing monks, but if you want a cool class both social, stealthy and with good damage. A one fighter/sixteen valor bard with a hand crossbow is cool. If no weapons isn't a problem just going full bard can also work.

Coidzor
2015-08-31, 11:09 AM
So you have a magic item and enough money to buy 2nd tier medium or heavy armor and whatever weapons you want?

Or you have twice the gold of a character starting at level 17, thereby allowing you to be crit immune and stealthy even in plate due to the joys of mithral and adamantine?

Also, are feats on the table?