PDA

View Full Version : Your Soul-hidey-place?

Xar Zarath
2015-08-30, 02:56 AM
You're a lich wanna be and ready to complete the final phases of lichdom. However you end up with the most important questions of your soon to be immortal existence...what your phylactery should be? because if you're gonna unlive out eternity, you want something really cool and expensive becos 120k gp is not something to scoff at.

So what would you make your phylactery out of?

(Me, personally I would go with either the traditional box, a very expensive crystal book of sorts or a simple but elegant gem of quality)

Taveena
2015-08-30, 03:15 AM
I believe the traditional answer is a Docent attached to a Warforge locked in his own dream.

Crake
2015-08-30, 03:58 AM
I don't use a phylactery, I instead use an item with continuous magic jar on it, with a section that gentle reposes a stored shrunken body. I then use the trap the soul item on someone, store my body in the item, lock it up, then go out adventuring. When I die, the creature who's body i occupied dies instead, and it's corpse drops lifeless to the ground. Then, in the aftermath, I try and possess the strongest creature nearby until I get them, then I kill off all the enemies, pick up by item, and carry on my merry way. I like to use a crystal locket as the item, with my real body sealed inside the locket.

AtlasSniperman
2015-08-30, 06:58 AM
My players were very annoyed to discover the lich's underground marble palace was the phylactory.

What? It said 'usually small' and 'at least 250,000gp', my stronghold builders guide finally got a workout.

J-H
2015-08-30, 07:21 AM
The classic route:
I make it a Ring of Invisibility and Protection +2.

Milo v3
2015-08-30, 07:52 AM
A battlehosts panoply-bond makes a ridiculously good phylactery, since you cannot destroy it.

Curmudgeon
2015-08-30, 08:56 AM
If you're going to be a Demilich, I think you should preserve your foot and use that as your phylactery. You can keep your soul in your sole.

OldTrees1
2015-08-30, 12:26 PM
Personally I prefer a "pebble" in the ocean(but not lost) near my Cohort's underwater academy that is not on any trade/travel route but near enough for a quick naval detour.

SkipSandwich
2015-08-30, 01:01 PM
A perfectly clear piece of crystal that is then Nailed to the Sky as per the epic spell with a permanent nondection enchantment and 1 charge/year of Greater Teleport to return after reforming.

Doc_Maynot
2015-08-30, 01:54 PM
I typically go with a powerful weapon or other magic item I've made. For while yes, I am a threat, the greed of men is strong.

Rater202
2015-08-30, 02:17 PM
An ordinary looking necklace, treated to look much older than it is, kept at a safe deposit box in a bank that is not the bank I normally use, under an account that made under an assumed identity, and placed there by myself, personally, using illusion or shapeshifting spells to make myself appear as a living person who looks as much unlike myself as possible.

noob
2015-08-30, 02:24 PM
Can you use the sea itself and have something which make it auto-destruct when disjuncted(I mean is there a magic item who destroys itself when disjuncted?)

Zilzmaer
2015-08-30, 08:25 PM
A perfectly clear piece of crystal that is then Nailed to the Sky as per the epic spell with a permanent nondection enchantment and 1 charge/year of Greater Teleport to return after reforming.

If you're going to use epic spells, why not use Aumvor's Fragmented Phylactery (CoR, I believe) successively to have each grain of sand in a desert be your phylactery?

Pre-epic, I'm a fan of the three classics: the Dream of Metal mentioned earlier, a random object in my moon base, and a random object in my Positive Energy Plane base.

atemu1234
2015-08-30, 08:45 PM
A page hidden inside a book hidden inside Asmodeus' personal library.

Blackhawk748
2015-08-30, 08:58 PM
I have two favorites, one i would use for a BBEG and one im using if i ever play a Lich:

1. Its a masterfully Disguised Obdurium Jewelry box with a permanent Nystuls Magic Aura on it. Inside is a Crystal Skull or something with a power Necromancy Aura on it ala Nystuls Magic Aura

2. Its an Obdurium Brick that is inside a genesis'd plan filled with various Obdurium bricks that constantly shakes like a paint shaker when im not on it. Also there are random Necromancy Auras on a bunch of the Bricks, so even i woudlnt be sure which one was mine.

Prime32
2015-08-30, 09:04 PM
Create a temporary demiplane by some means
While on the demiplane, take out a bag of holding and a set of ring gates
Place one ring gate inside the bag
Pass the bag itself through the other ring gate - you now have a bag that contains itself
Enter the bag through the gate and leave your phylactery inside
Pick up the gate that's inside the bag, then use plane shift to return to your demiplane and collect the other
Leave the demiplane and wait for it to disperse

Cuaqchi
2015-08-30, 09:33 PM
Partake in a quest to find Holy MacGuffin of Virtue X. Replace part of MacGuffin with your soul-hidey-place. Use various spells to disguise the now evil necromantic aura on the Holy MacGuffin of Virtue X. Hide/Bury MacGuffin within your lair. Spread rumours that the only weapon capable of destroying "Vile Darkness of Unholy Evil" is the MacGuffin to entice truly good and noble heroes to attack your base. Let them take the MacGuffin and now hold onto it as a holy relic that as a Good character they could never destroy. Reform from your phylactery while Good character of Goodness is asleep, kill him and return to base to and let the pattern continue. Not only due you have a great hiding spot that will always be safe, but you get more XPs and that's what's really important :D

Falcos
2015-08-30, 11:20 PM
Here's an idea that I have no idea if it'd work:

Isn't there some staircase in the Abyss that has a doorway, that if you fail a will save, you walk through and are never seen again (but not destroyed)?

If I am remembering correctly, it doesn't matter what my Phylactery *is*, I Dominate a living being to carry my Phylactery up the stairs, and then force them to fail the Will save, walk through to their greatest desire, and... Never be seen again, ergo my Phylactery is entirely unreachable.

Telonius
2015-08-30, 11:28 PM
For a Dracolich I designed: In his hoard, the players find a +3 Holy Dragonbane Greatsword with a matching scabbard. The phylactery is in the (lead-inlaid) tip of the scabbard.

Werephilosopher
2015-08-31, 12:44 AM
Making your phylactery into something the good guys don't want to destroy is useless if they're just going to take it with them. You'll just regenerate right in front of them. And since that takes 1d10 days to reform, they'll have 1d10 days to destroy you while you're helpless.

It's also useless to put your phylactery in a location that, once regenerated, you can't get out of.

I'd split my phylactery over and over again with epic magic. Each piece is a gemstone, with spells to hide its true nature, each one placed in its own massive obdurium coffin that is filled with spare spellbooks, magic items, some wine, and a note indicating which phylactery I've regenerated at. These coffins have their own masking spells on them, as well as spells to protect the inside from environmental hazards. Then I scatter them across the multiverse. One is sunk into the Plane of Magma, another is hidden inside a Mechanus cog, another is buried 1000 feet below Elminster's house, etc.

Falcos
2015-08-31, 12:53 AM
Actually, the rules never say that a Lich regenerates near their Phylactery, unless I missed something. :)

Bad Wolf
2015-08-31, 02:01 AM
I'd make it be another Lich. And where is that Lich's phylactery? Me.

Either that or the Pact Primeval copy that Asmodeus keeps.

Telonius
2015-08-31, 08:31 AM
Making your phylactery into something the good guys don't want to destroy is useless if they're just going to take it with them. You'll just regenerate right in front of them. And since that takes 1d10 days to reform, they'll have 1d10 days to destroy you while you're helpless.

It's also useless to put your phylactery in a location that, once regenerated, you can't get out of.

I'd split my phylactery over and over again with epic magic. Each piece is a gemstone, with spells to hide its true nature, each one placed in its own massive obdurium coffin that is filled with spare spellbooks, magic items, some wine, and a note indicating which phylactery I've regenerated at. These coffins have their own masking spells on them, as well as spells to protect the inside from environmental hazards. Then I scatter them across the multiverse. One is sunk into the Plane of Magma, another is hidden inside a Mechanus cog, another is buried 1000 feet below Elminster's house, etc.

That's the beautiful thing about the Dracolich phylactery. A dracolich reforms only when the phylactery is near a slain dragon. Putting it near a magic item whose purpose is slaying evil dragons? That gives them relatively access to a new body.

Flickerdart
2015-08-31, 09:29 AM
If you're going to be a Demilich, I think you should preserve your foot and use that as your phylactery. You can keep your soul in your sole.
But a demilich has eight soul gems in addition to its original phylactery, so the soul sole would not be your sole soul.

Segev
2015-08-31, 10:16 AM
Technically, the rules don't say that you have a slowly-regenerating (and easily destroyable) body during the 1d10 before you "return," either.

That's how the Giant in the Playground interpreted it for his webcomic, but that's not the RAW.

All the RAW say is that you return in 1d10 days. Technically, the mechanics therefore work out such that you can't be destroyed until the number of days rolled on the die are up, and then you're 100% back.

Prime32
2015-08-31, 11:35 AM
I'd split my phylactery over and over again with epic magic. Each piece is a gemstone, with spells to hide its true nature, each one placed in its own massive obdurium coffin that is filled with spare spellbooks, magic items, some wine, and a note indicating which phylactery I've regenerated at. These coffins have their own masking spells on them, as well as spells to protect the inside from environmental hazards. Then I scatter them across the multiverse. One is sunk into the Plane of Magma, another is hidden inside a Mechanus cog, another is buried 1000 feet below Elminster's house, etc.Better yet: Take over the world and declare your phylacteries to be the official currency. As a bonus they're really hard to forge.