PDA

View Full Version : Devine Denial – Is it useful?

Evolved Shrimp
2015-08-30, 12:27 PM
I’m building a high-level (probably low epic) sorcerer and I’m thinking about which feats to take to improve defenses. Devine Denial seems useful in theory, but I’m unsure how often it would see use. That is, how often could one expect to face a divine spell that is a significant threat or obstacle and does not offer a save?

For the purposes of this exercise, I assume that SR will be adequate, so only spells with no saving throw and no spell resistance would matter.

Paging through the PHB, I have trouble turning up a significant number of such spells. So, am I looking in the wrong places or is the feat really not much actual help?

Jowgen
2015-08-30, 01:09 PM
Strongly depends on how permissive your DM is. For example, Divine Denial is great against Blasphemy & friends when they're spells; but chances are you'll encounter them as SLAs on Outsiders. Divine Denial's worth depends powerfully of whether your DM extends it's benefit to "effects that replicate divine spells".

Evolved Shrimp
2015-08-30, 10:51 PM
Strongly depends on how permissive your DM is. For example, Divine Denial is great against Blasphemy & friends when they're spells; but chances are you'll encounter them as SLAs on Outsiders. Divine Denial's worth depends powerfully of whether your DM extends it's benefit to "effects that replicate divine spells".

I don’t think that will be a problem. Anyway, Blasphemy can be stopped by spell resistance, so I probably wouldn’t need Devine Denial to defend against it. I wonder if there are no-save divine spells that also bypass SR that could be a problem.

Snowbluff
2015-08-30, 10:52 PM
If you're in a game where every enemy is a Divine Caster trained to hunt mages, it is. :smalltongue:

animewatcha
2015-08-31, 12:36 AM
so far I am seeing anarchic storm.
Possibly the lawful version of it as well.

Also, alter fortune.