PDA

View Full Version : what can see me other than true seeing?

Smegskull
2015-08-30, 04:17 PM
Mind Shielding = immune to detect alignment (detect evil, etc)
Mind Blank = immune to Telepathic Awareness, etc
DarkStalker = immune to scent, tremor, blindsight
Blend with Shadows = invisibility immune to see invisibility
Undead = immune to life sense
Incorporeal = silent (immune to listen check locating)

other than true seeing is there any way to detect this character?

Jack_Simth
2015-08-30, 04:31 PM

Depends on some rulings. Potentials:
Mindsight (Lords of Madness)
(Greater) Arcane Sight (Core)
Depending on some of the stuff you're carrying, you might be susceptible to the more obscure things like Treasure Scent
Corpse Candle

Oh, and you may want to look up the Superior Invisibility spell from Spell Compendium.

Werephilosopher
2015-08-30, 04:44 PM
Transdimensional (CompPsi) Touchsight (SRD) will still detect you.

ahenobarbi
2015-08-30, 04:49 PM

Scent, tremorsense, blindsight can detect you if their listen or spot beat your move silently/ hide.

Spot can find you (if it's high enough to beat your +20/+40 for being invisible).

Detect Undead. Scry will reveal your approximate lovation.

WhamBamSam
2015-08-30, 04:57 PM
Detect Undead is probably more common than Lifesense, and you'll ping on that. EDIT: Nevermind, it's a divination blocked by Mind Blank.

An Exalted Ranger with Nemesis could detect you if you're one of his favored enemies (remember this could include "things that use arcane spells or SLAs" or "Evil").

You can sort of screw up Mindsight with Hellbreaker's Telepathic Static ability, though you need to be within 20ft of the creature with Mindsight to do so.

Jack_Simth
2015-08-30, 05:11 PM
Detect Undead. Scry will reveal your approximate lovation.Mind Blank is on the list, so no, Scrying won't help.

Dusk Eclipse
2015-08-30, 05:19 PM
Wouldn't detect undead (a divination) be blocked by Mind Blank?

ahenobarbi
2015-08-30, 05:20 PM
Mind Blank is on the list, so no, Scrying won't help.

Yeah, my mistake.

WhamBamSam
2015-08-30, 05:23 PM
Wouldn't detect undead (a divination) be blocked by Mind Blank?Yeah, I think I derped because he had a different thing to specifically counter alignment detection.

Naez
2015-08-30, 06:31 PM
I believe the Ninja's Ghost Sight ability would still get past your invisibility.

Bad Wolf
2015-08-30, 06:36 PM
I believe an insanely optimized spot check can still find you.

Chronos
2015-08-30, 07:03 PM
Yeah, there's a sort of hierarchy of senses and ways to avoid them in D&D, and oddly enough, the bottom level of senses (Spot checks) is also the top. There's absolutely nothing that can beat a sufficiently-high Spot check, other than an even higher Hide check. And unless you're using some infinite TO trick, Spot checks can be pumped higher than Hide checks (if nothing else, due to PHB2's spell Shared Perception).

rrwoods
2015-08-30, 07:09 PM
Spot can find you (if it's high enough to beat your +20/+40 for being invisible).
Technically that's an epic check anyway?* I don't know the rules for epic skills apply to monsters, and some (just my? many? all?) DMs say "hey if your perception is that good, you can have it" to players; those same DMs might do the same for monsters.

*Unless, as happens frequently, there's enough areas of the rules relevant to this that even though I've read the section I think is relevant, I've missed one, in which case carry on.

Crake
2015-08-30, 07:18 PM

Aren't all those ineffective against incorporeal already? I don't think you need darkstalker for any of them.

A readied action faerie fire whenever you cast a spell or perform an attack to cast on your location would work. Incorporeal may be silent if they choose to be, but casting a spell still requires speech unless you use silent spell on all your spells, and if you attack in melee, even while invisible, people will know your location and can fire off a faerie fire to reveal you. As a non-damaging spell, it doesn't have a failure chance against incorporeal either. At that point, a second and third readied action to force cage and dimensional anchor/lock you allows them to start wailing away at you.

eggynack
2015-08-30, 07:23 PM
Notably, true seeing is not on the list. If you're hiding from your opponents, which is necessarily occurring if something like darkstalker is going to be relevant, then true seeing doesn't do anything.

Crake
2015-08-30, 07:28 PM
Notably, true seeing is not on the list. If you're hiding from your opponents, which is necessarily occurring if something like darkstalker is going to be relevant, then true seeing doesn't do anything.

Well, unless he's hiding out in the open under the cover of invisibility? Which I assume to be the case. If someone pops true seeing, then without hide in plain sight, he'd be plainly obvious.

eggynack
2015-08-30, 07:33 PM
Well, unless he's hiding out in the open under the cover of invisibility? Which I assume to be the case. If someone pops true seeing, then without hide in plain sight, he'd be plainly obvious.
If that's the case, then blindsight will work just fine. No need for true seeing. Point is, if this character can claim immunity to blindsight, then they can equally claim immunity to true seeing, and if they claim vulnerability to blindsight, then they are vulnerable to true seeing.

Crake
2015-08-30, 07:48 PM
If that's the case, then blindsight will work just fine. No need for true seeing. Point is, if this character can claim immunity to blindsight, then they can equally claim immunity to true seeing, and if they claim vulnerability to blindsight, then they are vulnerable to true seeing.

I'm pretty sure being incorporeal makes you immune to blindsight though, doesn't it? Since there's no physical body for blindsight to detect?

Chronos
2015-08-30, 07:54 PM
Some versions of blindsight are based on echolocation, but some just leave it as a vague "sharp senses", and some don't specify at all. I don't think there's any reason to assume that the capabilities of blindsight are any more or less limited than normal vision (absent things like invisibility or Darkstalker).

eggynack
2015-08-30, 07:57 PM
I'm pretty sure being incorporeal makes you immune to blindsight though, doesn't it? Since there's no physical body for blindsight to detect?
I'm not sure. Maybe, and it perhaps depends on the type of blindsight. Some do not rely on listening, after all. In any case, to continue on with the main topic of things that this doesn't work against, I think that the ethergaunt's total vision may work against this setup. Not sure though.

Crake
2015-08-30, 08:17 PM
I'm not sure. Maybe, and it perhaps depends on the type of blindsight. Some do not rely on listening, after all. In any case, to continue on with the main topic of things that this doesn't work against, I think that the ethergaunt's total vision may work against this setup. Not sure though.

Well, the incorporeal subtype describes them in regard to nonvisual senses as thus "Nonvisual senses, such as scent and blindsight, are either ineffective or only partly effective with regard to incorporeal creatures."

Take that as you will I suppose. I would imagine that any sound based nonvisual sense would work only in rounds the incorporeal creature chooses to make sound, but otherwise would simply be ineffectual.

Psyren
2015-08-30, 09:45 PM

Someone using Magic Jar will know you're within range (it can spot undead creatures), though not exactly where.

Also, Darkstalker doesn't make you immune to those things, it just means those creatures have to use skill checks like everyone else.

Well, the incorporeal subtype describes them in regard to nonvisual senses as thus "Nonvisual senses, such as scent and blindsight, are either ineffective or only partly effective with regard to incorporeal creatures."

Take that as you will I suppose. I would imagine that any sound based nonvisual sense would work only in rounds the incorporeal creature chooses to make sound, but otherwise would simply be ineffectual.

"Or only partly effective" suggests that some forms of blindsight will work. And this makes sense - while incorporeal creatures can choose to be soundless if they wish, if they do make sounds (e.g. from spellcasting or screaming in pain) then it would make sense that a creature with sound-based blindsight would detect them.

ben-zayb
2015-08-30, 10:13 PM
A 9th-level Dispassionate Watcher of Chronepsis (Draconomicon) will be able to see you via Clearsight, an ability similar to True Seeing but also penetrates mundane disguises.

Chronos
2015-08-31, 08:19 AM
Ooh, I can't believe we forgot this one: Deathwatch (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/deathwatch.htm). It's necromancy, not divination, so it gets past all the anti-divination stuff, and it works just as well against undead as against anything else. It won't give your location (beyond the fact that you're in range), but it will detect you.

On the other side of the question, if you want to be as undetectable as possible, you want six levels in [Illithid] Slayer, for Cerebral Blind (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/prestigeClasses/slayer.htm#cerebralBlind). It works on "all devices, powers, and spells that reveal location". One might debate whether "powers" there means specifically psionic powers, or if it's a broader usage, but either way, that still closes some gaps (it's one of the only ways to defeat Transdimensional Touchsense, for instance).