PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next My Bladesinger Homebrew (WIP and PEACH)

Grayfigure
2015-08-30, 11:37 PM
Alright, this is my rough draft for a 5e Bladesinger. I've been wanting to post this for a bit, but between rl and making sure I wanted to actually put this up, ive postponed this for a while. Credit goes to Undrhill from the EN World forums for the names of the individual MageStrikes and their abilities, though I changed the range and what they actually effected. I was hoping they would finish but its been years since they posted in that thread last, and their ideas inspired me forward. Let me know what you guys think.

WIZARD ARCANE TRADITION: THE BLADESINGER

To some wizards, their paths to power lie not only in knowledge, but in the blood. While it was the elves that created and taught sword magery to the other races, the creation of it was merely an attempt to recreate a proud heritage, thought lost to time. Some elven wizards, however, find a secret, hidden away in familial bloodlines; the Bladesong teachings of the fabled Elder race. All knowledge lies in the wizard; it becomes a matter of training the wizard in the physical demands of the Bladesinger. This power does not come without cost however: since you are now training your body for the rigors of Bladesinging, you no longer have as much time to dedicate to the study and mastery of spells. Wizards who follow this school will learn only 1 new spell per wizard level, and gain higher level spell slots 1 level later than they normally would. Though not an easy task for a wizard to give up the heights of Eldritch Acumen, the reward of a graceful legacy and a powerful art cannot be ignored.

Graceful Warrior (Level 2)
Elven wizards who unlock the Bladesong gain Immediate benefit from the newly discovered mastery within them.
At 2nd level, you gain proficiency in Longswords and rapiers, the ancestral weaponry of Bladesingers. You are also
gifted with their ceremonial Armor: an Astral projection of flowing robes as durable as most medium armors. You
gain Mage armor, which no longercosts you a spell slot to cast. Accessing the Grace of your ancestors also grants
you a small boon of grace: you gain a +1 Bonus to Charisma.

The final gift bestowed is the Swordbond. At 2nd level, you learn a ritual that creates a magical bond between
yourself and one sword, which are longswords or rapiers. You perform the ritual over the course of 1 hour, which can
be done during a short rest. The weapon must be within your reach throughout the ritual, at the conclusion of which you
touch the weapon and forge the bond. Once you have bonded a weapon to yourself, you can’t be disarmed of that weapon
unless you are incapacitated. If it is on the same plane of existence, you can summon that weapon as a bonus action on
your turn, causing it to teleport instantly to your hand. You may only have 1 Bondsword at a time. If you try to bond a
second, you will break your bond with the first Bondsword. Once bonded to you, your Bondsword becomes a spellcasting
focus.

MageStrike (Level 2)
With Magestrike, you take your first step in acquainting your body with the physical aspect of Bladesinging. Starting
at level 2, whenever you prepare new spells, you may also choose two of the following MageStrikes. You retain the ability to
use these until you prepare spells again. While similar in nature to cantrips, there are enough differences between the two
philosophies to confuse even the most studious mage when learning either MageStrikes or cantrips; once you gain the Mage-
Strike feature, you no longer learn any cantrips. You do, however, keep the cantrips you have learned up to this point. At
level 6, you may choose three MageStrikes when preparing your spells, and at level 10, you may choose four. You can cast
one of your MageStrikes as a bonus action when making a Bondsword weapon attack, as long as you have your Bondsword in
one hand and your other hand is empty, carrying no weapons or shields. All MageStrikes can be directed to the target of the
Bondsword attack, or at a different target within 10 ft of you, with the exception of Double Blade, as it is a second melee attack.
MageStrike effects are tied to the initial attack: if you miss with your Bondsword attack, Magestrikes will still be applicable, but
the secondary effect of the 'Strike will be lost. This does not include Incendiary Blade and Double Blade, which do not have a
secondary effect. The MageStrike list can be found at the end of the Archetype description.

Bladesong (Level 6)
The Bladesong: a trance like state that synchronizes the Bladesinger with the flow of battle around them. Elves in this state
flow from stance to stance, from attack to defence, with such fluidity and grace that they seem to be dancing. The world seems
to sing with the dance; no doubt the name of this style was adopted due to this skill. At 6th level, you enter a trance like battle
state that adds +3 to both AC and any Bondsword attack damage. The benefits of this state come with some drawbacks: you may
only assume this form for 30 seconds, due to the stress this places on body and soul. Also, Concentration is required, forcing you to
focus on the 'Song. You gain two uses of this ability. Once used, you must take a short or long rest before the uses recharge.

Improved Bladesong (Level 10)
At 10th level, your stamina and focus have improved to the point of being able to perform the perfected Bladesong form. You
need no longer Concentrate when performing the Bladesong, and it's duration is extended to 1 minute. Your skill while in the 'Song
also improves: you grant Disadvantage to all enemy attacks that target you with an attack roll; you also gain Advantage on all Dexterity
saving throws. You now add 3 + your CHA modifier to the damage done by your Bondsword while within the Improved
Bladesong. You have gained the physical prowess to attack twice where before, only one attack was possible. You may now make a
second melee attack when you use your action to make an attack with your Bondsword. This does not allow for a second MageStrike.
However, This also does not prohibit a third attack using the Double Blade MageStrike. You may use this form 3 times before needing a
short or long rest.

Ancestral Technique (Level 10)
Your prowess has become refined enough to utilize the advanced Bondsword techniques of the Elder Race. At Level 10 when
wielding a versatile weapon and nothing in the other hand, your weapon damage becomes 1d10 instead of 1d8. You may also use your
INT modifier for attacks and damage done with your Bondsword. Utilizing the Ancestral Technique with your Bondsword instills an
innate magical essence into the blade while wielded in such a manner. While under the Ancestral Technique, you Bondsword is now
considered a magical weapon in regards to bypassing resistance or immunities against mundane weapons. The magical weapon benefit
is only effective when wielding your Bondsword; you do not get this benefit when wielding weapons you are not bonded to.

Stormsong (Level 14)
You have learned to listen to the fury within the World as it resonates to the elements within your your spell; to dance along
the invisible divide, vanishing and appearing as you will along the edge created by spell meeting nature; and to take some of that fury
into yourself and channel it along your Bondsword as you strike at an enemy. This incredible ability has been named Stormsong.
At 14th level when you cast an attack spell that has fire, ice, lightning, poison, or thunder as its damage, you may use your bonus
action to teleport to any target within your move range, and make a Bondsword attack. Should the attack succeed, you may spend 1
spell slot to add 1d8 damage of the spell's element to the attack. This attack strikes 3 Contiguous squares within your melee attack range.
Using higher level spell slots will increase the Damage by 1d8 for each spell slot level above 1. You may only use spell slots 5th level or
below in this manner. You may use this ability twice before needing a long rest to use it again.

MageStrike
Starting at level 2, whenever you prepare new spells, you may also choose two of the following MageStrikes. You retain
the ability to use these until you prepare spells again. At level 6, you may choose three MageStrikes when preparing your spells.
You can cast one of your MageStrikes as a bonus action when making a Bondsword weapon attack. All MageStrikes can be directed
to the target of the Bondsword attack, or at a different target within 10 ft of you.

Acidic Blade
This MageStrike deals acid damage equal to your INT modifier.
Additionally, the next attack made against the target before the
start of your next turn gains advantage.

Incendiary Blade
This MageStrike deals fire damage equal to 2 + your INT modifier.
The fire damage increases to 4 + your INT modifier at 10th level and
6 + your INT modifier at 14th level.

Forceful Blade
This MageStrike deals extra force damage equal to your INT
modifier to the target of your Bondsword attack or another
target within 10 ft of you. Additionally, you deal 5 force damage
to the target or another creature within 10 feet of the target.

Icy Blade
This MageStrike deals cold damage equal to your INT modifier.
Additionally, the target's speed is reduced by 10 feet until the end
of its next turn.

Impacting Blade
This MageStrike deals weapon damage equal to your INT modifier.
Additionally, you push the target 10 feet away from you, or you may
choose to make the target all prone instead.

Lightning Blade
This MageStrike deals extra lightning damage equal to your INT
modifier. Additionally, the target cannot take reactions until the end
of your next turn.

Poison Blade
This MageStrike deals poison damage equal to your INT modifier.
Additionally, the target must make a Constitution saving throw or become
poisoned for 1 minute.

Double Blade
You can make another melee attack with a Bondsword.

Grayfigure
2015-08-31, 09:11 AM
Ok....after looking at this written down, it feels like it'll be a better fit as an entire class (feels too powerful as both a partial meleeist and a full caster). Thing is, I dont really have any more ideas to add to it right now. I'll think about it some more, and if anyone has any ideas, feel free to comment.

khadgar567
2015-08-31, 10:17 AM
is there any chance we can get spearsong version on this aka focus on spears instead of swords and use spears as casting staffs( aka put some spells in it scaling with pcs level)( plus it smells to good as magus archetype somehow?)

Submortimer
2015-08-31, 11:13 AM
is there any chance we can get spearsong version on this aka focus on spears instead of swords and use spears as casting staffs( aka put some spells in it scaling with pcs level)( plus it smells to good as magus archetype somehow?)

That's not really in line with bladesingers in the lore of Forgotten Realms (where bladesingers come from).

IN any case, this looks interesting, I'll give it a full once-over after I get home from work.

bloodshed343
2015-08-31, 10:02 PM
Here's what I got for a bladesinger:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1L8GkbB0TtOlWy2w7808hrhcyEMzbBrhT4kcy2bUWPJo/edit?usp=sharing

Grayfigure
2015-09-01, 10:27 AM
Bloodshed, thats a pretty interesting class you have there! It doesn't say 'Bladesinger' to me, but there's a depth of utility there that is very cool. I'd have to sit down and playtest it to comment on the balance, as it does seem a bit strong, but looks really fun.

I've had a chance to sit down and play my Bladesinger to lvl 6, doing a couple of quick encounters for each level. I really like the way its turning out. Its a slow starter, as you still only have wizard tricks to protect your hp until Bladesong, but the added MageStrikes gives you a surprising bit of spice to play around with (provided you can roll decently; one of my foils is erratic rolling -_\\). Bladesong adds a nice boost to AC just as you need it, but still leaves your hand 'free' to cast other one off spells. And its also a little fragile; the addition of Concentration makes for a real 'hanging on to your form by the skin of your teeth' feel of danger to the set. So far, so good!

bloodshed343
2015-09-01, 10:53 AM
Bloodshed, thats a pretty interesting class you have there! It doesn't say 'Bladesinger' to me, but there's a depth of utility there that is very cool. I'd have to sit down and playtest it to comment on the balance, as it does seem a bit strong, but looks really fun.

I've had a chance to sit down and play my Bladesinger to lvl 6, doing a couple of quick encounters for each level. I really like the way its turning out. Its a slow starter, as you still only have wizard tricks to protect your hp until Bladesong, but the added MageStrikes gives you a surprising bit of spice to play around with (provided you can roll decently; one of my foils is erratic rolling -_\\). Bladesong adds a nice boost to AC just as you need it, but still leaves your hand 'free' to cast other one off spells. And its also a little fragile; the addition of Concentration makes for a real 'hanging on to your form by the skin of your teeth' feel of danger to the set. So far, so good!

One of the problems I encountered with making the Janissary class was too narrow of a focus. Janissary was based on a theme and paragon path from 4th edition. Janissary's were basically arcane paladins in service to primordial powers (not really, but basically). This didn't leave me a lot of room to differentiate the subclasses, so I added that they also drew power from the primal spirits. This also didn't leave a lot of room to differentiate the subclasses. The traditions were so specific lorewise that they might as well have come with their own pre-written backgrounds.

Also, I had to really stretch this focus to use some of the mechanical features I wanted to use.

Anyway, that's when I decided to make a more general Bladesinger that encompassed all the features of great gishes. I didn't want to give it spells, because in the lore, the "Arcane Warrior" archetype doesn't fling a lot of fireballs, preferring to use a magically enhanced blade. I did give it ritual casting to reflect that it is also a spell caster. I also drew inspiration from Jedi, hence the lightsaber and force jumping.

Edit: And it might be too strong at this point. I had to buff/nerf the Janissary because playtesting revealed it couldn't fulfill its intended role very well, and was doing more damage than intended, especially with Arcane Flurry, so this is the product of a tanking buff. I removed a lot of damaging features though, so hopefully it balances out to be a respectable, though not overly powerful, tank.

Grayfigure
2015-09-02, 09:20 AM
One of the problems I encountered with making the Janissary class was too narrow of a focus. Janissary was based on a theme and paragon path from 4th edition. Janissary's were basically arcane paladins in service to primordial powers (not really, but basically). This didn't leave me a lot of room to differentiate the subclasses, so I added that they also drew power from the primal spirits. This also didn't leave a lot of room to differentiate the subclasses. The traditions were so specific lorewise that they might as well have come with their own pre-written backgrounds.

Also, I had to really stretch this focus to use some of the mechanical features I wanted to use.

Anyway, that's when I decided to make a more general Bladesinger that encompassed all the features of great gishes. I didn't want to give it spells, because in the lore, the "Arcane Warrior" archetype doesn't fling a lot of fireballs, preferring to use a magically enhanced blade. I did give it ritual casting to reflect that it is also a spell caster. I also drew inspiration from Jedi, hence the lightsaber and force jumping.

Edit: And it might be too strong at this point. I had to buff/nerf the Janissary because playtesting revealed it couldn't fulfill its intended role very well, and was doing more damage than intended, especially with Arcane Flurry, so this is the product of a tanking buff. I removed a lot of damaging features though, so hopefully it balances out to be a respectable, though not overly powerful, tank.

A really cool idea. My first thought when i was doing my Bladesinger was to do one for the 3 gishes im familiar with: Bladsinger, Swordmage, and hexblade (4th edition fanfare). At one time I thought it would be cool to do a class that encompassed all 3. But then i realized I 'barely' had enough ideas for a Wizard Archetype, so I just went with that.

Also, I noticed a possible issue with my build: seems like, RAW, my MageStrikes can fire off whether I hit the enemy with a Bondsword attack or not. Question: is that too op? the Magestrikes themselves dont hit very hard with exception of Double Blade, but their various effects can seriously impact the game in favor of the 'Singer. If they hit all the time, you'd have a powerful control tool. I kinda like that idea, but I wanted to get a general concensus before I made the final decision on changes. Let me know what you think!

McBeefsteak
2015-09-02, 01:50 PM
A really cool idea. My first thought when i was doing my Bladesinger was to do one for the 3 gishes im familiar with: Bladsinger, Swordmage, and hexblade (4th edition fanfare). At one time I thought it would be cool to do a class that encompassed all 3. But then i realized I 'barely' had enough ideas for a Wizard Archetype, so I just went with that.

Also, I noticed a possible issue with my build: seems like, RAW, my MageStrikes can fire off whether I hit the enemy with a Bondsword attack or not. Question: is that too op? the Magestrikes themselves dont hit very hard with exception of Double Blade, but their various effects can seriously impact the game in favor of the 'Singer. If they hit all the time, you'd have a powerful control tool. I kinda like that idea, but I wanted to get a general concensus before I made the final decision on changes. Let me know what you think!

Without play testing it seems like it certainly has potential to be overpowering. I'm also not sure I like how it would feel flavour wise.

Maybe have it apply your attack roll to the other target as a touch attack to see if it hits? I'm assuming you're essentially shooting a ray/bolt of magic if you don't hit the target you attacked in melee?

Grayfigure
2015-09-02, 02:10 PM
Without play testing it seems like it certainly has potential to be overpowering. I'm also not sure I like how it would feel flavour wise.

Maybe have it apply your attack roll to the other target as a touch attack to see if it hits? I'm assuming you're essentially shooting a ray/bolt of magic if you don't hit the target you attacked in melee?

Pretty much that. All except dbl blade which would be swing , pirouette while shiny hand shines the blade, swing coming out of pirouette. I kinda agree with your op comment, though I was thinking that the first hit could be the 'tracer round' for the MageStrike; without it to ground the shot, it just fizzles. I think it creates a nice 'double or nothing' mechanic that's kinda unique.

I see where this could be exploitable: hitting a low AC creature with attack, then hit the Big Bad with the now unblockable effect. But I feel like the range of MageStrikes (10 ft), the lack of appreciable damage, and the fact that all this puts the 'Singer in melee range gives it an even balance feel. Though some modification to MageStrikes is always possible.

McBeefsteak
2015-09-02, 03:17 PM
Maybe have the secondary effect be only if the initial strike hits? That way if you miss your initial attack, you still auto zing someone but for small damage only?

Though that still presents problems with hitting the minions and zinging not the big bad automatically every round.

Grayfigure
2015-09-02, 04:23 PM
Maybe have the secondary effect be only if the initial strike hits? That way if you miss your initial attack, you still auto zing someone but for small damage only?

Though that still presents problems with hitting the minions and zinging not the big bad automatically every round.

While I like the 'double or nothing' aspect a little more, I think your idea might be the more viable of the two. As far as using the auto zing to help saw bosses down a bit, I'm not exactly adverse to that, as long as the damage remains piddling. This also gives the zinged enemy a chance to avoid the side effects, which is a good thing for balance leverage

Thanks for the feedback. Some good stuff there! I'll write it out after I get off work tonight. Any other Imput is GREATLY appreciated.

9/3/15: Added the changes to MageStrikes, with a 4th learnable 'Strike at level 10. I think a max 4 learnable MageStrikes is a good mix for variety, while still keeping the number down, forcing you to choose which ones you want. Let me know how it all sounds.

9/4/15: Decided that Improved Bladesong should also give your character Advantange on Dexterity saves as well. Fits the motif of the graceful combatant, I think. Noticed that Improved Bladesong might be kicking out more damage I thought. Will be testing that first chance I get to make sure. I want the damage to be an improvement, but the preliminary crunch i'm getting seems to mean that its outdamaging fighters of the same level in melee. I'll do some tests this weekend. Feel free to offer any imput you might have!

9/5/15: Added Magical Weapon stipulation to Bondswords, but only when wielded as a part of Ancestral Technique. The Combination of skill (Ancestral Technique) and Magic (Swordbond) has a nice synergy that shouts 'Bladesinger' to me. Itll also help with Bladesinger damage in the higher levels.

Grayfigure
2015-09-09, 12:17 PM
Had a chance to play the class in some test encounters. It plays well.....til level 10. Then it gets overpowered as hell. Decided to make it a half caster, but didn't have enough powers for it. Then decided to keep it an archetype, but build a whole class around it.....but working out all the fiddly bits is gonna take a while. I'll keep anyone interested in my progress posted.