PDA

View Full Version : Sublime Way Reserve Feats [3.5] [Idea]

The Mentalist
2015-08-31, 02:23 AM
I rather like reserve feats in Complete Arcane and was thinking at work about designing some other ones then it struck me that there is another 1-9 level casting ability that could use some.

So my question is, does anyone think that there is a use for Reserve Feats for Martial Initiators?

Stratovarius
2015-08-31, 05:41 AM
Not a huge one - it's possible for all the Initiators to go without ever needing to take a round off from using manoeuvres for an entire combat.

What I think would be more interesting is a series of feats based around chaining, be it between different schools, inside a school, or similar types of manoeuvres. Because right now most of the school feats from ToB are only okay, or pretty shoddy.

TheTeaMustFlow
2015-08-31, 05:43 AM
I must admit I can't see the point. Reserve feats offer a weaker effect if one doesn't use some of one's limited resources. Martial adepts don't have limited manoeuvres per day.

Nifft
2015-08-31, 08:41 AM
If you mean: some sort of at-will power which is fueled by a high-level Maneuver?
- No, that's worthless.

If you mean: some sort of refresh-able Maneuver which is fueled by a high-level Spell?
- Sure, that might be cool.

Milo v3
2015-08-31, 06:23 PM
If you mean: some sort of at-will power which is fueled by a high-level Maneuver?
- No, that's worthless.

If you mean: some sort of refresh-able Maneuver which is fueled by a high-level Spell?

I don't think he's describing either, since reverse feats don't have fuel, they are powered by Not using spells. Martial reserve feats would be at-will abilities that are more powerful the highest level of that discipline the initiator currently has readied but not using. Which seems redundant since initiating is effectively at-will itself.

Nifft
2015-08-31, 06:55 PM
I don't think he's describing either, since reverse feats don't have fuel, they are powered by Not using spells. "Powered by" and "fueled by" are synonyms, so you're not actually making a point here.

I do already know how [Reserve] feats work.

My question to the OP stands.

Milo v3
2015-08-31, 06:56 PM
"Powered by" and "fueled by" are synonyms, so you're not actually making a point here.

I do already know how [Reserve] feats work.

My question to the OP stands.

"Fuelled by" implies your using up a resource as fuel, which isn't true in this case.

Nifft
2015-08-31, 06:59 PM
"Fuelled by" implies your using up a resource as fuel, which isn't true in this case. It does not.

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/fueled
v.tr.
1. To provide with fuel.
2. To support or stimulate the activity or existence of: rhetoric that fueled the dissenters.

I'm sure you're just trying to be helpful, but please do look stuff up before trying to correct people.

Amechra
2015-08-31, 09:55 PM
Cálmate, everyone. We're all friends here, right?

I really think this could work well as a core for a Discipline - on the simplest level, you'd have Maneuvers that get a boost in power as long as you have a Readied [Discipline] Maneuver of a higher level Readied.

Throw some of that goodness onto the Stances, maybe have some Boosts that give bonuses now as well as well as buffing a different maneuver that you have Readied (which gives you some incentive to sit on your strongest maneuvers for a little bit).

It would be a distinctive combat style that would lend towards big final attacks; you use lower level maneuvers to buff up your Ultimate Attack, which you would then unleash on the fools that thought to challenge your martial prowess!

The Mentalist
2015-09-01, 01:50 AM
- No, that's worthless.

I was actually thinking of the former but after seeing the comments I've seen the error of my initial idea. It has since morphed a bit.

I really think this could work well as a core for a Discipline - on the simplest level, you'd have Maneuvers that get a boost in power as long as you have a Readied [Discipline] Maneuver of a higher level Readied.

This is awesome.

Revised idea that was sparked by these comments. Reserve feats not for combat bonuses, or for supplementary bonuses as in Amechra's idea, but for greater utility out of combat?

Either way, I think Amechra's idea is going to get some attention.

Amechra
2015-09-01, 03:41 AM
Idea for a 1st level Boost; Elevate (X) means that you pick a Maneuver of X type and apply the listed effects to it. All Elevate effects are lost at the end of the encounter, and only affect the current "copy" of the Maneuver.

Rising Crescendo: Gain a +1d4 Morale bonus to damage for one round. Elevate (Strike): The Strike gains a +1d6 Morale bonus to damage.

So, at the simplest, you activate Rising Crescendo and then initiate the Elevated Strike, improving the +1d4 bonus to damage to +1d6. Or you can hold onto that Strike, use a different one this turn, and then use the improved Strike next turn, as a more efficient use of the bonus damage.

Other ideas are stuff like:
Elevate (Strike): If the Strike is successful, Ready this Boost.
Elevate (Boost): The Boost's duration increases by 1 round.

And the like.