PDA

View Full Version : PF Dwarf Slayer(Pirate Concept)

ranger557
2015-08-31, 06:45 AM
Hi all,

I am playing in a pathfinder game and I built a Dwarf Slayer, Slayer is the new class from ACG. So basically the concept for this character is a pirate. However, I am not sure how to utilize the class for this character. I am not sure if I should go TWF or Two handed weapon. Right now I went with strength and a big weapon. Also our DM gave non casters extra abilities like increase damage dice on category size is one example. Anyway, this is what I have built so far for this character and I am level 4. The DM will allow me to re-change some feats since we are getting use to these new classes. Any advice would be great to fit my pirate concept, thanks :smallsmile:.

Dwarf Slayer lvl 4

Str: 20
Dex: 14
Con: 16
Int: 13
Wis:12
Cha: 10

Feats: Improved Initiative, Power attack*, Steel soul
Talents: Trapfinding, combat trick*

Geddy2112
2015-08-31, 10:39 AM
A 2 handed build would fit a pirate style more than a 2 handed weapon, and it benefits better from studied target/sneak attack because more attacks=more bonus damage.

The cutlass is a thematic pirate weapon, and it has a nice crit range/damage. Dwarven Waraxes are also 1 handed and do better damage with a higher crit multiplier, while still being thematic to both a dwarf and pirate. However, neither are light so they won't make for a good off hand. Short swords can be paired to benefit from weapon focus, improved critical etc. A dwarven maulaxe would be a nice light off hand weapon(and thematic) if you don't want dual short swords. You could probably use short sword stats and just reskin them as a cutlass though. Since you are a dwarf, you could use an urgosh as a large boarding axe/pike combo. It is a double weapon, so you could TWF at minimum penalty.

For 2 weapon fighting, you obviously need TWF as a feat. Power attack won't be as useful since you will be taking penalties, but with high strength you should be ok. You will also need to play with your stats to get a better dex-if your not going dex based it is going to be a problem to eventually get improved and greater twf. Keep steel soul because it is amazing. Also consider breadth of experience-it is thematic in that a pirate would sail the world and pick up a little bit of all knowledges, and its outright critical if you don't have a bard, wizard, or other knowledgebot in the group.

I personally don't think trapfinding is all that important, but I assume nobody else in your party has disable device or trapfinding.

If you can swap up your stats, in addition to boosting dex consider swapping wisdom and intelligence. You have 6 skill points/level and a good enough con/HD to afford your favored class bonus on an extra skill point. Most of your class skills are not int based, and the int based ones are not exceedingly useful. Wis powers perception, survival and sense motive. It will also sure up your will save, which is hands down the most dangerous to fail. I would stick with a plain 10 in intelligence, and try to get at least a 14 in wis.

ranger557
2015-09-01, 04:07 AM
I agree with bonus damage I would benefit more from the two weapon fighting approach. However, if you have noticed the the sneak attack progression is much slower on the slayer and wouldn't benefit from the high dice cap. Also I am doing trapfinding because i'm the only character that can find traps magically lol. As well I was thinking a feat chain for my character that would use the following feats so I can have more utility in combat. What do you all think?

http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/combat-feats/killing-flourish-combat

http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/combat-feats/gruesome-slaughter-combat

Geddy2112
2015-09-01, 09:39 AM
Killing flourish and gruesome slaughter are great feats if you fight hordes of humanoids. Most battles will be against a few powerful monsters, usually immune to fear. They are good, but if your setting is going off and fighting powerful dragons and demons, I would pass. If you plan on fighting hordes of goblins, town guard, orc raiding parties etc etc then heck yes.

Also, if your going for an intimidate build then cornugon smash (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/combat-feats/cornugon-smash-combat) is a must take, considering you are planning on power attack anyways.