PDA

View Full Version : Temporary HD/Level Loss, Not Negative Levels

g3taso
2015-08-31, 12:59 PM
I am interested in how one might temporarily lose levels. This is not to say negative levels, but actually losing BAB, spells, class abilities and so forth. My actual use is for use with Haunt Shift, but I suppose it doesn't really matter for the purposes of this thread. So, how might it be done?

I'm aware that some people espouse holding onto a bunch of holy/unholy arrows and such, but I believe the consensus is that this is not correct.

Cruiser1
2015-08-31, 01:46 PM
I am interested in how one might temporarily lose levels. This is not to say negative levels, but actually losing BAB, spells, class abilities and so forth. I'm aware that some people espouse holding onto a bunch of holy/unholy arrows and such, but I believe the consensus is that this is not correct.
If you take a negative level, and fail your save to remove the negative level, you gain the level loss (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/specialAbilities.htm#levelLoss) condition. You've effectively lost a level, the same as dying and being raised. However, this lost level can be restored with a (Greater) Restoration spell. You can also "temporarily" lose a level by dying and being raised, and then earning XP to gain that level back. In summary, every character effectively has three level numbers to keep track of:

True character level.
Effective character level, which is true character level minus any lost levels. These lost levels (but not levels lost from death) can be restored by (Greater) Restoration.
Negative levels, which is effective character level with negative stat adjustments for each negative level. Negative levels are effectively debuffs. These negative levels can usually be removed by making a fort save (or by Restoration again).

Holding certain magic items opposed to your alignment, such as an evil character wearing a good/white Robe of the Archmagi (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/wondrousItems.htm), just gives negative levels that can't be removed as long as the item is worn. However those negative levels are like any other negative level debuff, and aren't actual level loss.

g3taso
2015-08-31, 02:14 PM
I found this. It's Pathfinder (I play in PF with 3.5 access)

Pup Shape
School transmutation (polymorph); Level druid 3, sorcerer/wizard 3, witch 3
Range close (25 ft. + 5 ft./2 levels)
Targets one animal or magical beast.
Duration 1 round/level
Saving Throw Fortitude negates (and Will special, see text); Spell Resistance yes
Description
You transform the subject animal into a Small magical beast, creating a young magical version of itself for a short period of time. While in this form, the target has only 1 HD (maximum hit points), and the target takes a -4 penalty to Strength, Constitution, Intelligence and Wisdom (minimum 1). The creature also gains a +4 size bonus to Dexterity and a +2 natural bonus .......

It's a start. Need to polymorph them first. Two stages, so it would be slow. Luckily this spell says nothing about types, just forms!

Urpriest
2015-08-31, 02:18 PM
If your goal is just to fit larger undead into Haunt Shift, then it doesn't matter. If you have negative levels, you're treated as having fewer HD for spells like that, and while undead are generally immune to negative levels, IIRC there are ways around that.

Flickerdart
2015-08-31, 02:36 PM
There's a reverse Energy Drain condition called Energy Charge. I don't actually know what causes someone to be Energy Charged, but it appears in the glossary.

erok0809
2015-08-31, 03:22 PM
There's a reverse Energy Drain condition called Energy Charge. I don't actually know what causes someone to be Energy Charged, but it appears in the glossary.

There isn't a single thing in a book I know of that actually causes someone to be Energy Charged, which makes it super dumb that it's there.

g3taso
2015-08-31, 05:46 PM
If your goal is just to fit larger undead into Haunt Shift, then it doesn't matter. If you have negative levels, you're treated as having fewer HD for spells like that, and while undead are generally immune to negative levels, IIRC there are ways around that.

In Pathfinder, undead are immune to Energy Drain (but not negative levels) so that is awesome!