PDA

View Full Version : Anyone still playing Diablo 1 or 2?

oakshield
2015-08-31, 02:21 PM
i was wondering if anyone was still playing those games, I've recently restarted playing 'em, maybe we can setup a LAN game.

Traab
2015-08-31, 07:17 PM
I was, but my graphic card is screwed up and most of my games visually look like they are playing underwater. Besides, im a very strange man and never play those games online.

Gandariel
2015-09-02, 04:05 AM
My Diablo 2 game (no expansion ) is still working and I still love it!

Fleeing Coward
2015-09-02, 04:09 AM
I still play both occasionally for old times' sake just cause Diablo was my first Hack&Slash. Still have the original discs in working condition too.

Jormengand
2015-09-02, 04:34 AM
I don't recognise D3 as a real Diablo game, why back in my day we had good Diablo games so yeah, I still play D1-2.

Of course, I felt contractually obliged to call my warrior "Dark Wanderer", my rogue "Blood Raven" and my mage "Horazon." :smalltongue:

nooblade
2015-09-02, 09:36 AM
Eh. At some point I stopped. Feels like I'd spent a lot of my life on these though. Maybe it'll be tempting in another 5-10 years.

Psyren
2015-09-02, 10:16 AM
D3 is far, far superior now to release, particularly with the patch that dropped a few days ago. Unless your system/internet prevent you from doing so, I'd highly recommend giving it another shot.

Rodin
2015-09-02, 11:26 AM
I've been tempted to go back and give D1 a shot for a while. What's been stopping me (apart from the undoubted nightmare that will be getting it to run on modern systems) is my brief attempt to go back and play D2.

Diablo II just feels dated now. Too many abilities which are basically just stat boosts. Lack of features which are considered mandatory in the more modern games. And while graphics shouldn't be a big deal, Diablo II's graphics have not aged well.

If I feel like playing D2, I go play Path of Exile.

Chen
2015-09-02, 11:30 AM
D3 is far, far superior now to release, particularly with the patch that dropped a few days ago. Unless your system/internet prevent you from doing so, I'd highly recommend giving it another shot.

I agree with this. The last update for D3 was a great one.

KillianHawkeye
2015-09-02, 11:31 AM
i was wondering if anyone was still playing those games, I've recently restarted playing 'em, maybe we can setup a LAN game.

Hey, not sure if you're aware of this, but the 'L' in LAN stands for 'local.' You really need to be in the same room or the same building (or at the very most, the same college campus) as the people you're playing with.

D1 and D2 both used the original Battle.net for their non-local multiplayer needs, but I have no idea if that service is still operational since the release of the "new" Battle.net which is more like Steam for Blizzard games.

Corlindale
2015-09-02, 12:01 PM
I sometimes return to both of them, though I also really like what Diablo 3 have eventually become.

I sometimes take a summoner necromancer through 2 again, just because it's so meditative to just walk around picking up loot, while your skeleton army does all the heavy liftning.

Diablo 1 is still amazing, I think. It's a very different game from 2 and 3, much more like a roguelike with that claustrophobic feeling of descending further and further into a single dungeon. In the later games you become much more like a god (you ARE pretty much a demigod in 3), but in D1 it really feels like you are vulnerable and weak compared to the monsters surrounding you. They really nailed the dark setting and mood then, I think, even if later games refined the actual gameplay.

Gnoman
2015-09-02, 12:33 PM
Hey, not sure if you're aware of this, but the 'L' in LAN stands for 'local.' You really need to be in the same room or the same building (or at the very most, the same college campus) as the people you're playing with.

Doesn't work for D1 (you'd need Hamachi for that), but the matchmaking replacement/LAN simulator GameRanger supports Diablo II.

The_Jackal
2015-09-02, 01:18 PM
D3 has gotten TONS better since launch, I highly recommend giving it a try.

Inarius
2015-09-02, 06:51 PM
I haven't played them in 4-5 years. Partly because I lost a a few years worth of my SP saves around that time, and partly because there are a ton of these types of games out there now that aren't as dated or have a more interesting character progression system.

I'll also add that D3 has gotten to be really really good and thats affected my choice not to go back to D2 to some degree. Not sure I like having to plan out every inch of my character beforehand. I sort of like just loading in a character and trying new builds to see if they work for me or not and not losing weeks/months of time to get to that conclusion.

thirsting
2015-09-04, 07:22 AM
To me too, Summoner Necromancer is the reason why I still rarely play D2. Witch Doctor just doesn't feel the same..

I wonder how hard it would be to just remove the re-speccing restrictions in a small patch? I'm sure at least someone at Blizzard still could do it. Can't imagine what harm there could be if they did this, besides few hours (days?) of lost manpower.

Traab
2015-09-04, 02:32 PM
To me too, Summoner Necromancer is the reason why I still rarely play D2. Witch Doctor just doesn't feel the same..

I wonder how hard it would be to just remove the re-speccing restrictions in a small patch? I'm sure at least someone at Blizzard still could do it. Can't imagine what harm there could be if they did this, besides few hours (days?) of lost manpower.

I do miss my summonmancer. The only annoying stretch is in act 2. The maggot lair or whatever its called with the giant slugs, and the pocket dimension arcane maze thing inside the palace cellars. Both because of narrow corridors and sharp turns that means your vast army is 75% useless. Only 2-3 skeletons can attack at a time. Maybe more if you have mages hanging back able to target. And everything keeps getting hung up on corners until it warps back to you again.

Inarius
2015-09-04, 04:45 PM

Yeah there are a few types that aren't doable in d3 like the necro summoner, the javazon and the shapeshifter druid. Those would probably be the only reason I'd go back to d2 to be honest.

Rodin
2015-09-04, 08:50 PM
If you want to do a modern summonmancer, I recommend playing Path of Exile as a Witch. She gets a full set of raising zombies, raising skeletons, and raising enemy corpses. You can also do golems but I think those might be Strength skills so perhaps not compatible with a mass summoner build.

The really fun part about minions in PoE is that support gems work on them. So I can raise the corpse of an enemy that fires a machine-gun style set of quills and have support skills that cause him to multi-shot those quills...and then fork again when they hit an enemy.

Dammit, now I want to go play a summonmancer again.

Psyren
2015-09-07, 07:02 PM
You can have an entire gaggle of fetishes following you with the right WD build. The only downside is that it depends on specific gear, so you won't have a real army until you find those items. But you can have a gargantuan that is far more useful than D2's golem plus 6 or so zombie dogs.