PDA

View Full Version : Why the High Priest of Thor remembers the name Thundershield

ibgdude
2015-08-31, 02:28 PM
The High Priest of Thor was the one who wrote this letter (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0375.html), back in strip 375. In it, she said that she could not find any mention of Durkon's mission in the previous high priest's notes, and so he was free to return home.

There are a few possibilities for what this leads to:

She remembers the letter, and brings it up again, which gives Durkon a chance to break free from the HPoH.
She has since learned of the prophecy about Durkon
bringing death and destruction to the dwarven lands and does something because of it.

Peelee
2015-08-31, 03:05 PM
She remembers the letter, and brings it up again, which gives Durkon a chance to break free from the HPoH.

Why would this give Durkon a charge to break free?

BaronOfHell
2015-08-31, 03:31 PM

Perhaps the reveal will be electrifying!

Kantaki
2015-08-31, 03:41 PM

It is unlikely, but being allowed to return home might give him a moral boost that enables him to take control from or at least disable the HPoH at a crucial moment.

woweedd
2015-08-31, 03:49 PM
It is unlikely, but being allowed to return home might give him a moral boost that enables him to take control from or at least disable the HPoH at a crucial moment.
I'd think that might be a genuine Deus Ex Machina. We've had no hint he can do that beforehand and it would instantly solve one of, if not the, moist pressing problem of the current storyline.

Peelee
2015-08-31, 04:03 PM
Perhaps the reveal will be electrifying!

Ya know, that was so good I'm not even gonna fix it.

Kantaki
2015-08-31, 05:30 PM
I'd think that might be a genuine Deus Ex Machina. We've had no hint he can do that beforehand and it would instantly solve one of, if not the, moist pressing problem of the current storyline.

As I said, unlikely. But we do know that Durkon has some plan to use the HPoH’s inability to understand the connections between his memories and their deeper meaning against him. If he shows the spirit the wrong memory at the right moment that might be enough to make it loose.

woweedd
2015-09-01, 01:46 AM
As I said, unlikely. But we do know that Durkon has some plan to use the HPoH’s inability to understand the connections between his memories and their deeper meaning against him. If he shows the spirit the wrong memory at the right moment that might be enough to make it loose.
Even then, all indications are that once he's dead, he'll still need a Resurrection. I mean, granted, that probably won't be too much of a problem if he dies in this fight, given that there are currently 13 High-level Clerics within close proximity. And before you say they voted to destroy the world, keep in mind: A. Clearly, the priest's opinion does not necessarily match up with the Gods as I imagine, say, our new eleven fried wouldn't want to destroy the world, despite her pantheon's vote being Yes and that generally, most of the Priests would probably vote No given the option since they're the ones living on plant whose destruction is in question. It's easy to vote Yes to destroying a planet when you're not the one on it and B. I imagine lots of the Gods would want to change their vote now that they know the full consequences of voting Yes. Heimdall was specifically called out.

Kantaki
2015-09-01, 06:27 AM
Even then, all indications are that once he's dead, he'll still need a Resurrection. I mean, granted, that probably won't be too much of a problem if he dies in this fight, given that there are currently 13 High-level Clerics within close proximity. And before you say they voted to destroy the world, keep in mind: A. Clearly, the priest's opinion does not necessarily match up with the Gods as I imagine, say, our new eleven fried wouldn't want to destroy the world, despite her pantheon's vote being Yes and that generally, most of the Priests would probably vote No given the option since they're the ones living on plant whose destruction is in question. It's easy to vote Yes to destroying a planet when you're not the one on it and B. I imagine lots of the Gods would want to change their vote now that they know the full consequences of voting Yes. Heimdall was specifically called out.

Sure, once the HPoH is destroyed Durkon has to be resurrected. Did I say he wouldn't? All I did was theorizing how the HPoT reconizing the name Thundershield might influence the battle.

And who said the priests have voted? I really doubt they will intervene before the battle is over and that they will act against their god's agenda, but returning Durkon, cleric of Thor from the grave after Durkon the High Priest of Hel bites the dust shouldn't count as either.