PDA

View Full Version : Good Descriptor for Desecrate

g3taso
2015-08-31, 06:46 PM
I like undead, but like many of you small-minded clerics and paladins the Oerth over are constantly attempting to stop me from enjoying my little hobby. You'd think I was smoking in a public place!

It occurred to me as a LN character that I could cast Mark of the Enlightened Soul prior to casting Desecrate. According to the "specific beats general" philosophy, Desecrate is now a Good spell, having lost the evil descriptor. Presumably, profane bonuses become sacred bonuses and so forth and we roll on. Casting Animate Dead (or the Create Undead spells, possibly having to persist the MotES to a day duration) results in good-aligned undead, since how can Evil spring from Good?

A second philosophy holds that applying a Good spell descriptor to an Evil spell leaves a Desecrate with no alignment descriptors. Presumably profane bonuses become untyped bonuses and so forth and we roll on. Casting Animate Dead (or the Create Undead spells, possibly having to persist the MotES to a day duration) results in unaligned undead. (I personally am thinking of mindless undead as "robots", since they typically aren't swallowing souls, inflicting negative levels or other "I'm gonna eat ya" behavior.

Of the two, I personally hold to the latter notion of no Good/Evil descriptors on the spell at all, as they cancel each other out. While I normally follow the specific-beats-general philosophy, the undead consequences just don't make sense barring one or two extremely rare undead.

That being said, I have two questions for everyone. (1) Do you hold to a (Good) Desecrate or an (Untyped) Desecrate or a third option I haven't considered? (2) What are the implications/possibilities/spiffy consequences for undead?

MukkTB
2015-08-31, 07:06 PM
By RAW this adds the Good descriptor. It doesn't remove the evil descriptor. I don't see any RAW that says you can't have those descriptors on the same spell.

So you've added the good descriptor to your desecrate. It still does profane bonuses. It still has the evil descriptor so that a good cleric couldn't cast it. Ironically an evil cleric couldn't cast this new spell either. You've created an Edgewalker (http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=43513)spell. Its a pretty cool effect, but I still suspect that you won't find much approval from the NPCs. In fact many on both sides will be pretty angry that you mixed they kind of magic they don't like with the kind of magic they do.

DrMotives
2015-08-31, 07:58 PM
Also, the neutral equivalent of divine & profane is sacred, like the non-fire damage in a Flame Strike spell. Anyone can use sacred stuff.

Aldrakan
2015-08-31, 08:12 PM
Also, the neutral equivalent of divine & profane is sacred, like the non-fire damage in a Flame Strike spell. Anyone can use sacred stuff.

Reply? That seems backwards. All divine means is that it's of the gods, and there are plenty of evil gods. Sacred implies that it's worthy of veneration due to it's divine association, and while not technically inaccurate (most of these terms are based on the assumption there's one good god so you have to make some mental adjustments) seems a weird way to talk about it.

Also the phrase is the "sacred and the profane", and it doesn't mean the bad and the could go either way.

Malimar
2015-08-31, 08:45 PM
Yeah, Sacred pertains to the power of Good, Profane to the power of Evil.

Profane Modifier
A profane bonus (or penalty) stems from the power of evil. Multiple profane bonuses on the same character or object do not stack. Only the highest profane bonus applies.
Sacred Modifier
A sacred bonus (or penalty) stems from the power of good. Multiple sacred bonuses on the same character or object do not stack. Only the highest sacred bonus applies.

5ColouredWalker
2015-08-31, 08:54 PM
So it'd be a Divine Modifier? [Since Divine just means god, and doesn't state which.]

g3taso
2015-08-31, 08:56 PM
So... a spell with both Good and Evil descriptors? I agree that it would be RAW, but I think that RAI (rules as intended) wouldn't have two alignment descriptors in the same spell. It seems that even if the spell DOES have both descriptors, it wouldn't make sense for it to only have profane bonuses. Where's the good? That is why I was going with no remaining alignment descriptors (as they cancel each other out) and left bonuses untyped

Crake
2015-08-31, 10:19 PM
I think generally, in the case of neutral clerics and spells that give either sacred/profane based on alignment, the ones that channel negative energy get profane bonuses and the ones that channel positive energy get sacred bonuses.